snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Child abandonment (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Child abandonment
Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't believe someone would leave their kids at a Ren Faire!! My kids have a grand time there but I can't imagine leaving them at the Faire.
Besides, they should know that Ren Faires can be dangerous. Because of the Ren Faire, my 5YO now insists she wants to play the harp. And those things aren't cheap! And my DS wants his own 'real' sword, just like Dads. Its all the Faires fault!!

Magdalene, is the Faire free? The one here isn't which might disuade people from leaving their kids there as its not 'free babysitting'.

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by frogpond:
quote:
Well, our Ren Faire is about to come up....

....which'll mean there's gonna be at least *one* idiot who thinks it's okay to leave their small kids there by themselves.

(This has happened. One year I was there, some idiot parent left their five year old there by himself, figuring he'd have a great time. Management found out quick and called the kid's parents and told them to come right back for their kid.)

Leaving a little kid alone at a Ren Faire? [Eek!] The ones I've attended have galloping horses, juggling with dangerous objects, birds-of-prey and large cat displays! Just what an unattended five year old needs to be in the midst of! Not to mention being an ideal snatching spot!
Part of the problem is 'mundanes' (translation: People Not In Garb) assume that everybody in garb is an employee of the faire, so therefore, we will take responsibility.

I know a lot of the people in garb, both on cast and not. You wouldn't want a lot of 'em taking responsibility for your kids.

Not to mention, if you see somebody in a costume, and you assume they work there....wouldn't you also assume they HAVE an assigned task which does not include watching kids?

Thankfully, it's rare....but it does seem every year there's at least *one* idiot.

Magdalene

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine La Raq Star:
I can't believe someone would leave their kids at a Ren Faire!! My kids have a grand time there but I can't imagine leaving them at the Faire.
Besides, they should know that Ren Faires can be dangerous. Because of the Ren Faire, my 5YO now insists she wants to play the harp. And those things aren't cheap! And my DS wants his own 'real' sword, just like Dads. Its all the Faires fault!!

Magdalene, is the Faire free? The one here isn't which might disuade people from leaving their kids there as its not 'free babysitting'.

Our faire isn't free, but I think it is for the five and under crowd. I'd have to check. (Not having kids, I can't say I ever thought much on that.)

Magdalene

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gnat
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnat   E-mail Gnat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[/qb][/QUOTE]Part of the problem is 'mundanes' (translation: People Not In Garb) assume that everybody in garb is an employee of the faire, so therefore, we will take responsibility.

I know a lot of the people in garb, both on cast and not. You wouldn't want a lot of 'em taking responsibility for your kids.

[/QB][/QUOTE]

I think you really hit the nail on the head there - that attitude seems to be prevalent with many parents regarding employees of stores/fairs/etc...just about every type of place that has been mentioned. It really scares me, though, because it's not as if working at the majority of these places (with the exception of camps) requires one to have a criminal record check - although they may make fine employees, they may not be someone you'd want around or influencing your children without your supervision. Even if they are fine people (which, admittedly, the majority will be), they likely have many other things to worry about (i.e. their jobs, the things they were actually hired to do) and cannot be counted on to make sure a child is safe.

Posts: 35 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages