snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Child abandonment (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Child abandonment
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
Spamamander, I haven't managed to read your post yet. I'm too busy laughing at your avatar!

- giggle- I stole it from my Lineage 2 "clan" message board where a friend uses it as an avatar, it always makes me laugh. What can I say, I'm evil!

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starla:
Chimera- Isn't the YMCA day camp supposed to be a baby sitting service?

That's certainly how the YWCA summer days camps my daughter attended were marketed. The same YWCA also offered a latchkey program in the elementary schools in our district.

As for kids not wanting to go, and not wanting to participate in the activities, the same is true of some kids and school.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know when I went to summer camp through YMCA, at first I didnt like it, but then I would be happy I went. But one summer, I was at the same camp for a whole month doing the same things and I hated it!

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Prelude in G Minor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prelude in G Minor     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of parents not looking after their kids--I gotta get this off my chest:

On Saturday, my family and extended family were on our way to a restaurant, passing through a residential area. It wasn't a noisy neighborhood--speed limit 25 mph, little traffic. A toddler, perhaps 2 yrs old, ran out into the street.

There were no adults in sight, not even on the porches. My uncle pulled over and with much luck, managed to find the house where the child belonged. All the adults were in the backyard, having a party and drinking on the deck while their kids played in the pool.

What irks me is that no one had been looking for this kid or had noticed that he ran off. I understand that kids can be unpredictable, but it's scary to think that he could have been hurt or killed if we hadn't been there at that moment. I wouldn't be inclined to let a 2YO out of my sight, especially at a party where a pool and an unfenced yard are involved.

--------------------
Bad music affects me, but good music affects me even more.

Posts: 191 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, maybe Y camps are baby sitting services however... I would think most people would look for day care that would teach or amuse their kids. What you don't understand is that nothing we did amused these kids. Their favourite activity seemed to be bitching about being there. I've worked a soup kitchen for kids. I know they didn't have anywhere else to go so I feed them, helped with homework and entertained them to the best of my ability. They actually seemed to like me.

At the Y camp I was hated. Everything that I tried was hated. They were not happy campers. The only time they were amused was on an overnight camping/rafting trip when they threw all of one of the boy's clothes in the river. I was not amused (and neither was the kid who lost his clothes). It was pure hell from start to finish.

I tried, I really did. First I tried asking them what they wanted to do. The answer was "nothin'". I tried playing Pollyanna. I did all the activities while talking to myself on how much fun I was having. I tried a lot of things but they eventually broke me so we did nothin' for day upon days. I did find a way to get them to the mall once and they enjoyed that... the mall didn't. They even tried to beat up an inflatable display. Oh well, it was a no win situation from the start. I just couldn't believe that the parents could actually understand how much the kids hated being there and still continue to send them (and pay the fees).

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bionic Jo
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Bionic Jo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How about when your kids friends come over to play? I have no problems with that - at least I know where my kids are and what they're doing. What I hate is when I tell the kid it's time to go home and I hear, 'oh my parents went shopping and won't be home until (insert time, usually long after our dinner hour).' [Mad] Look, lady (and there's one in particular, you know your name), when the kids spoke to each other on the phone making their plans, all you had to do was pick it up on your end, ask to speak to either me or SO and ask if it was okay if your DD or DS could stay a little longer. No problem, more than likely, but I like to be asked!
We had one kid here, who during a cold snap (-40 and colder) was wandering the streets after we told him it was time to go home. I made him come back in and warm up - but I hunted down his mother and told her that under no circumstances would this be allowed to happen again - the next time I saw her darling wandering the streets in that type of weather (or any weather for that matter), I was going to call the cops and report her as abandoning her child. The message was unwelcome but finally got across to her - apparently she had pulled this stunt on other parents as well.
As for the DD, well the kid is a brat and I don't particularly care for her but will welcome her as she is my DD's friend. I have told her mother as well that if I'm to be used as a babysitting service, I expect to be paid for it and I expect to be notified in advance. I would never, ever presume that because my kids are on a playdate at another house, to leave and run errands WITHOUT notifying the parent. Emergencies happen and I would never want to disappoint my kids in what could be their worst moment because I went shopping and didn't let them know where I was going to be. Even if they're in school all day, I let them know if I'm leaving the house during that time to run errands - just so they know.
Jo

--------------------
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun.
Katharine Hepburn

Posts: 36 | From: Winnipeg, MB | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
I just couldn't believe that the parents could actually understand how much the kids hated being there and still continue to send them (and pay the fees).

Well, first of all, you're assuming they had other options. In fact, there aren't that many options during the summer, especially if you need extended care (usually before 9 am and after 3 pm), which most parents with FT jobs do. Some of the programs are very expensive and out of the financial reach of many parents; Y programs are usually more affordable. All the programs fill up quickly. Parents also need to find a program that is conveniently located.

I'm sorry you had such a tough time; maybe you just got a bad batch of kids. I'm sure you tried your best; the parents of those kids probably did their best.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe everyone did their best. But if anyone actually wanted to be there they were screwed.

My parents and I have also dealt with the left over child problem. We'll have a party at 11am and not find a parent till 7pm. What the hell do you do with these kids?

--------------------

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe Y camps are different where you live Chimera but my kids went to Y camp for 3 summers and my daughter is a counsellor at Y camp now and your experience is definitely not our experience.

I would not hesitate to recommend Y camp to any parent looking for a summer program for their children.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
We seem to be going through phases. It was okay, then not okay, now parents are doing it again.

In certain places/eras where it is safe, it may be ok. In America, 2006, it is not.
It has never been any safer. Not in any place, not in any era. If anything, we're just more obsessed with the dangers now, thanks to the continent-wide news coverage many incidents recieve.

Nonny "How many classic myths/legends/fairy tales feature abducted children?" Mouse

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were to shop at this store, I wopuld use the play area as a behaviorial/bribery device. Be good little children while daddy finds his books and you can earn 15 or 20 minutes playing on the toys. To me this just seems like common sense. Then again, I feel so guilty about using gas station restrooms, I always at least buy a pack of gum. I don't think people should assume store employees are there to protect or tend children.

Stupid upbringing.

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was in high school I worked at a pet store, one of the great big ones with a fish/small animal department in one corner, and then supplies throughout the rest of the store.

My pet peeve was the parents who decided to leave their children in the fish department (where I worked, of course) while they did their shopping. I was forever pulling kids' hands out of cages, stopping them from banging on fish tanks, yelling at lizards trying to get them to move, etc. etc... One kid even had my stepstool out and had climbed it, trying to get to the rabbits and guinea pigs!!

Where I live now (just outside of downtown Cincinnati), I see tons of little kids on the streets...toddlers and 5 year olds walking down the sidewalk, random little kids out and about by themselves... [Frown] Makes me sad.

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our neighbors have a fenced-in yard and a big trampoline in the back corner. They always leave four kids outside, alone, for hours. These kids are under the age of 5, at least one is still in diapers (I can only confirm the one, because he strips down to his diapers and runs around). I don't know which kids live there and which don't- but then, we're not sure which adults live there and which don't either.

To them, that fenced in yard is a giant playpen. These are the same people who two summers ago, when the front street was torn up from construction, somehow managed to let two toddlers escape, play in the mud in the construction zone and walk a whole city block to the golf course parking lot. The police were called by the golf course people and the police actually knew who the kids belonged to. [Roll Eyes]

When my kids were young, my bribery (like in Paisley's pet store) was: "Behave while I get my things, and then we'll go to the fish/lizard/animal section for [set amount of time]." Worked great. I've also used the "be good and I'll get you a pack of gum" thing. Worked great too.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Pet stores though are almost an attractive nusiance. Even without wanting to deal with the things they sometimes keep parrots and stuff out in the open. And sometimes the said birds try to rip out shinny earrings of those that pass by.

My trampoline is also in a corner of my fenced in back yard. It sometimes seems the kids (well I only have one of my own but I rarely only have one here) seem unsupervised but I'm always peaking out the blinds. My son is at the point that he and his friends often want to be left alone... so I play along with it. No, I'm no longer spotting the kids but I'm not absent either. Although I'm still shocked that my neighbours know I watch my kid (not theirs) and still have no problems with them playing here. I've made it quite clear that things sometimes get hectic and let them know they were free to come over but I haven't had any takers for that offer.

BTW I don't have any interesting animals right now. If some dumb kid tries to get into the house all they'll encounter would be a pissed off German Shepherd bitch. Since I sometimes do wildlife rehab kids seem to think I have fun (living) "toys". I'll admit I have shown them some animals and treatments but they aren't toys. The point of the thing is they keep their fear of humans so they can be released back into the wild. Unless its a non-releasable its probably not a safe critter. Even if it is a non-releasable it depends on the animal. Still I have kids that look for cool (animal) "toys" when they manage to get inside (either because my kid is playing inside or the "have to use the bathroom). That's why if my kid and I aren't inside I no longer allow bathroom visits. They have homes (and bushes).

Grabbing something like a freshly weened opposum is a VERY bad idea. But a lot of kids don't get it. They think all animals are cute and cuddly. Here's a clue, they're not! They are evil!

Kids are stupid. Parents that don't know where their kids are or what they are doing are more stupid. IMHO, YMMV.

ETA: I'm serious. These kids will stick their heads in tanks and dig around in bedding not knowing what might be in there if given half the chance. If someone got bit by something like a black snake its their own damned fault IMHO (if someone wanted to make a point or if it was something worse I'd probably be imprisoned for life). I'm just lucky that the parents also don't give a damn. I swear I could probably beat half them kids black and blue and there wouldn't be any questions asked. I wouldn't do it of course but still... Some parents really don't seem to care as long as they don't have to deal with the kids.

--------------------

ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All you folks that work at places where parents abandon their children--talk to your management and get a policy in place and posted.

There should be no hesitation to call police if you can't find a parent. Put a page over the tannoy for a lost parent. If the parent doesn't respond--if the parent has left the store or library, call the police. That child has been abandoned and the police need to be informed.

This is a no brainer to me. It should be a no brainer to management. The hassle of calling the police for every abandoned child will A) taper off once the word gets out and B) prevent lawsuits over a child injured or kidnapped while "in your care".

There's just no excuse for being taken advantage of like that. Call the cops.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
Grabbing something like a freshly weened opposum is a VERY bad idea.

[lol] Words of wisdom.

--------------------

Chimera

Out of a group of a dozen regulars that visit my house I think only one parent of one child gives a damn. In the previous group (my pre-child years) maybe two seemed to. Not good odds for the kids.

--------------------

Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was back in the late '70s, but I remember in 4th and 5th grade being left in the children's area of the library with my friend. His mom would leave us for 1 or 2 hours to do whatever while we ate in the vending room and read books. Were we old enough for that? I guess. We NEVER had to be chastised for noise or anything. We were quite content.

Now, would I do that with my kids? Hell, no. Oh, I'll let the 10 yo go off by himself, but I'll be close by. I'll let him take the 3 yo to the toy section of the local sprawl-marts for 10/15 minutes. I'm only ever a few aisles over and they KNOW that roughing up the toys leads to lost fingers in our house [Smile]

So, are the kids in danger of being nabbed? I'd say no more so than the boy-o is when he walks home from school (2 1/2 blocks). Yes, the 3 yo sometimes gives the boy grief, but I'm always only a few aisles over (or else the 3 yo has to stay with me if I'll be too far off in the store).

I LOVE when there are little play areas in shops for the kids. However, the parents need to know when it's age appropriate to leave the kid unattended. 8, 9, 10? Sure. Younger? 5, 6, 7? Not for me, but maybe. Other than that, if the kid won't stay by your side while you shop, get a babysitter or a stronger spankin' hand.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was left in the libray way back in the 80's probably starting about that same age Dogwater. Something which my mom has completely forgotten about, because she swears she would never have left us unattended or with a stranger (a babysitter she didn't know). Somehow she forgets that we were latchkey kids.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quttaus
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quttaus   E-mail Quttaus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Used to work at the Showboat casino in Atlantic City. Coming into work every night at 1 AM, I'd have to walk down the long hallway that parallels the casino floor. On any given night, you might see as many as a dozen children sleeping unattended by the wall. Most of these kids were very young, no more than 5 or 6 years old by the looks of it, and a couple times I even passed by infants in strollers.

No parents to be found, of course. Mummy and Daddy were usually off gambling away the house money while the kids fended for themselves.

The problem got bad enough that it was brought up at staff meetings. We begged upper management to set aside a room or something that we could bring these kids to, so they would at least be safe (of course, management gave us a bunch of excuses why the couldn't). No child was ever abducted, to my knowledge, but I think there were a couple of attempts.

Not that you should leave your child unattended anywhere, of course, but whats a 5 year old doing by a casino floor at any time, much less 1 in the morning?

Always used to wonder what would have happened if an abduction had happened...I've no doubt the parents would have been screaming bloody murder at the casino for not watching their child for them.

--------------------
"Hey! Let go of me before something horrible happens to me! OR ELSE!"
--Invader Zim

Posts: 92 | From: Southern NJ | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my favorite anecdotes.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cleetus Awrightus-Awreetus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cleetus Awrightus-Awreetus   E-mail Cleetus Awrightus-Awreetus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robofication, Lightly Roasted:

But we all know nasty trenchcoat man is really a fictionalized image of true child abductors. To employees of stores not catering to children (and even those catering to children), abductors look like and could very well be the child's parent (as in, could be a mother or father with a restraining order who violates it and kidnaps his/her own child).

The hysteria about 'stranger danger' masks the real truth. The vast majority of child abuse is abuse by family and friends - the risk of abduction by a stranger is vanishingly small.

Unattended children are much more at risk of walking onto a road or drowning themselves than being abducted.

I'm lucky enough to live in a very civilised suburb where my 9-year-old can walk himself to school without having to cross roads, but there are parents who send their kids off at 730am (when they head off to work) and leave them to kick around on the street for an hour.

--------------------
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... he is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Posts: 134 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cleetus Awrightus-Awreetus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cleetus Awrightus-Awreetus   E-mail Cleetus Awrightus-Awreetus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robofication, Lightly Roasted:

But we all know nasty trenchcoat man is really a fictionalized image of true child abductors. To employees of stores not catering to children (and even those catering to children), abductors look like and could very well be the child's parent (as in, could be a mother or father with a restraining order who violates it and kidnaps his/her own child).

The hysteria about 'stranger danger' masks the real truth. The vast majority of child abuse is abuse by family and friends - the risk of abduction by a stranger is vanishingly small.

Unattended children are much more at risk of walking onto a road or drowning themselves than being abducted.

I'm lucky enough to live in a very civilised suburb where my 9-year-old can walk himself to school without having to cross roads, but there are parents who send their kids off at 730am (when they head off to work) and leave them to kick around on the street for an hour.

--------------------
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before ... he is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr

Posts: 134 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SmallTownKid
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmallTownKid     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Keep in mind that I (duh) live in a small town with a very small library, so the actual danger to said children is minimal, but..... every summer my mom, sister, and I help out at the Summer Reading Program and many parents use it as a babysitting service. For the most part, this is ok, the kids walk themselves to and from the library or someone comes to pick them up. The tough ones are when parents drop (usually unruly, a Murphy's law kind of thing)children off early or pick them up late. We have to set up before the program, which takes a signifigant amount of time, and we do have other things to do. Like I said, it rarely is a practical problem and things usually work out ok, but it's just plain rude to expect volunteers at your local library to provide free childcare!
Edited to take out smilie: I'm not mad, I'm just smilie-happy.

--------------------
"I will take the Ring," he said, "though I do not know the way."

"Doesn't 'Frollo' sound like a delicious hobbit chocolate?"--Amanda F.

Posts: 107 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see quite often children 7 or so and younger wandering around Wal-Mart, calling out, "Mommy? Mommy?" I don't know if the parents left them in the toy section while they wandered off to do the rest of their shopping or if the child wandered off while mom's attention was on something else, but it pisses me off no end when I see it.

What pisses me off even more? The frigging clerks in the store, walking RIGHT PAST the child calling "Mommy? Mommy?" without even glancing in their direction. I have a habit of either stopping the child and asking them "Where was your mommy the last time you remember?" and taking them back to that part of the store, or at least following them around until I am convinced that they have found their mom/dad. Unfortunately, I am not able to do this each and every time, although I wish I was able.

I like that whole "If I were a child abductor, your child would be gone now." I think I'm going to print up some business cards that say that and start handing them out to parents... except I'd probably end up with black eyes and broken glasses. At very least, I'm going to start pointing out to clerks, "Do you not notice this child alone, unattended, and distressed? DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, THEN!!"

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I took my nephew to the library this morning. He's eight years old and knows the library. I had no problem with letting him get his own books while I looked for mine or letting him use a computer at another table from where I was. It's a small library and everybody there knows me so it wouldn't have been a problem if they needed to find me.
However, when we went to Wal-Mart afterwards I made sure he stayed with me. There's a big difference between letting a child be on their own at a small library than letting them loose in a large store like a Super Wal-Mart.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChildofMusic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChildofMusic   E-mail ChildofMusic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can relate to everything people are saying here.

I recently started my first year working at a very expensive, very upscale day camp. The camp goes from 8:30 in the morning t 3:00 in the afternoon. Pretty good, huh? Well, we also have a "Club OT (over time)" for those parents who may have a scheduling conflict one day and can't pick up their child at the disignated time.

Well, as I was handing out pickup times yesterday at work, I had almost 50% of the parents going, "Oh, we'll be using the OT program regularly. How early can I drop them off in the morning and how late can they possibly stay?"

Now, the OT program goes from 7 in the morning to 6 o'clock at night. A bit much for every single day, in my opinion. I mean, I understand if the parents works during that time, but half of the parents were stay at home moms or something of that sort.

I don't mind watching over children, simply because I love them, but do your own parenting once in a while and quit abandoning your kids.

--------------------
- ChildofMusic

"Music is one of the fairest and most glorious gifts of God." -Martin Luther

Posts: 231 | From: Somewhere up in Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by ChildofMusic:
Now, the OT program goes from 7 in the morning to 6 o'clock at night. A bit much for every single day, in my opinion. I mean, I understand if the parents works during that time, but half of the parents were stay at home moms or something of that sort.

How broad-minded of you to "understand" that some of us must work full-time to feed and house the children that we are parenting. I'm curious: how did you know how many parents were SAHM's, and what is "something of that sort"?

quote:
I don't mind watching over children, simply because I love them, but do your own parenting once in a while and quit abandoning your kids.
May I suggest, if you have a moral objection to parents "abandoning" their children from 7 am to 6 pm, you should not accept a job with a camp that offers such a schedule? Then you wouldn't find yourself in the position of judging the people who are paying your salary, based on what I'm sure is very limited information about their lives.

--------------------

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildofMusic:
I can relate to everything people are saying here.

I recently started my first year working at a very expensive, very upscale day camp. The camp goes from 8:30 in the morning t 3:00 in the afternoon. Pretty good, huh? Well, we also have a "Club OT (over time)" for those parents who may have a scheduling conflict one day and can't pick up their child at the disignated time.

Well, as I was handing out pickup times yesterday at work, I had almost 50% of the parents going, "Oh, we'll be using the OT program regularly. How early can I drop them off in the morning and how late can they possibly stay?"

I drop my granddaughter off at daycare at 7 am and drive an hour to work. I work from 8 to 5, and drive straight to daycare. I pick her up at 6. So I'm abandoning her? What would you like -- have me take her to work with me?

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems to me that Child of Music's opinion of "abandoning" comes from the parents who are otherwise able to raise their children on their own (either because of a flexible work schedule or because of being a stay at home parent)... but who can't be bothered to when they can just as easily pay someone else to do it.

Could be I was reading the post entirely wrong, but it didn't seem to me that CoM was criticizing parents who work, or even SAHM's who want to have a day to themselves for once, (God knows I could use one of those!) or even SAHM's who send the kids to day care so they can socialize with children their own age. I just got the impression that CoM didn't approve of people who dumped their kids at day care because they couldn't be bothered to be a mom/dad that day.

If I misread that, I apologize.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ChildofMusic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChildofMusic   E-mail ChildofMusic   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooo, I'm so sorry if people read that wrong. I wasn't criticizing working parents at all! I actually really respect working parents. Basically, it's what Purple Iguana said. Plus, a cranky mood, so it probably sounded worse than it actually is. I'm really really sorry if I offended anyone, I didn't mean to!

Basically, I didn't like the fact that these parents had their 4-6 years olds not even in their sight in a very crowded, very warm gym, telling me that my camp would be much better if it was a sleep away camp. Luckily, there were counselors everywhere watching for wandering and alone children, so none of them got hurt. One incident made me mad, which was probably the source of my nasty mood: I had one parent (of the above sort). When their child walked to the table from a very crowded area across the gym, ALONE, I turned my attention mostly to him while still talking to the parent. He enjoyed every second of it, and we even danced a little to the fun music playing behind me. His mother huffed and puffed because we were taking up her time by getting aquainted before the summer.

So I really apologize if I offended anyone. That wasn't my intention, and I can see from my previous post where it could be offending. No hard feelings, I hope. [Smile]

--------------------
- ChildofMusic

"Music is one of the fairest and most glorious gifts of God." -Martin Luther

Posts: 231 | From: Somewhere up in Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

No hard feelings. I misunderstood your post.

--------------------

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
None from me, either. Sorry to jump down your throat! [Big Grin]

Actually, I think part of it is because I resent how much time I DON'T get to spend with my granddaughter because of my commute. But it can't be helped, I'm afraid.

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, our Ren Faire is about to come up....

....which'll mean there's gonna be at least *one* idiot who thinks it's okay to leave their small kids there by themselves.

(This has happened. One year I was there, some idiot parent left their five year old there by himself, figuring he'd have a great time. Management found out quick and called the kid's parents and told them to come right back for their kid.)

Oddly enough, our greyhound booth doesn't get used as a dumping ground for kids too much....but I think a lot of that is due to the people who run it have outright said not to leave children unattended there.

Magdalene

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, our Ren Faire is about to come up....

....which'll mean there's gonna be at least *one* idiot who thinks it's okay to leave their small kids there by themselves.

(This has happened. One year I was there, some idiot parent left their five year old there by himself, figuring he'd have a great time. Management found out quick and called the kid's parents and told them to come right back for their kid.)

Leaving a little kid alone at a Ren Faire? [Eek!] The ones I've attended have galloping horses, juggling with dangerous objects, birds-of-prey and large cat displays! Just what an unattended five year old needs to be in the midst of! Not to mention being an ideal snatching spot!

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages