snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Rain, rain. go away! (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Rain, rain. go away!
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're finally getting some precip, as our local weatherman insists on calling it--a real frog-strangler today, pounding rain so heavy that I couldn't see across the street from my window here in the home office. We needed rain--but all at the same time?

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We've been getting rain here as well in Hampton Roads. Lots of it. And strangely enough, we have been suffering from a drought as well.

I guess when you ask for something you'll either not get it or get too much of it. [Razz]

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep reading this thread and wish we could get some of it. We are at 50% of our normal rain. Our whole yard is turning to dust.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday's paper (or maybe Saturday's, I can't remember) said that if we don't get another drop of rain ever, we will go into drought conditions in two years.

Four more inches of rain Saturday and Sunday, still six to eight predicted through Thursday. Twenty-three inches of rain since May 1.
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
I keep reading this thread and wish we could get some of it. We are at 50% of our normal rain. Our whole yard is turning to dust.

Doug, go back and read the OP, then be careful what you wish for....

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:

LOL. I understand. It would be just our luck to get all 50% back in one night. The only thing I would say to that is at least I am on a hill (a very dry one).

My dog is now a walking dust bowl. She rolls in the dust and every time we pet her, we get a cloud of dust....

ETA:My grandmother had that happen years ago in Enid:
quote:
The flood of October 11-13, 1973, known as the "Enid flood," was caused by a locally intense thunderstorm that was centered over Enid. This storm produced the greatest urban rainfall on record in Oklahoma. Rainfall accumulations were 15 to 20 in. within a 100-mi² area; 12 in. fell in 3 hours.
It rained a bit...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 16 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I read about the "sun" in a book once. They say it's a great big shining ball of fire in the sky that makes things light and warm and dry. I think it's an urban legend.

Four Kitties

I believe it made a cameo appearence this morning. So far, we've had 10" of rain (this according to the rain gauge on my deck). A part of the Capitol Beltway was closed yesterday because of a landslide.
The following Federal buildings are closed: the Archives, Dept of Justice, the IRS and the Old Post Office Pavilion.

Dawn--don't have to live like a refugee--Storm

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sun...shining...eyes...hurt...

The kids are scared. The rabbit is pissed because she wants to go out but her yard is flooded from yesterdays rain.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CherryQueen
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherryQueen   E-mail CherryQueen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnStorm:
quote:
I read about the "sun" in a book once. They say it's a great big shining ball of fire in the sky that makes things light and warm and dry. I think it's an urban legend.

Four Kitties

I believe it made a cameo appearence this morning. So far, we've had 10" of rain (this according to the rain gauge on my deck). A part of the Capitol Beltway was closed yesterday because of a landslide.
The following Federal buildings are closed: the Archives, Dept of Justice, the IRS and the Old Post Office Pavilion.

Dawn--don't have to live like a refugee--Storm

... And my in-laws are headed into town today and expect me to take them sight-seeing tomorrow.

--------------------
"Hilariously, he pronounces "Sauron" as "Sore-on", which sounds like something you apply directly to facial herpes."--theagonybooth.com

Posts: 2037 | From: Reston, VA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
Sun...shining...eyes...hurt...

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood today! The humidity is awful, but that great glowing ball is in the sky.

Forecast for tomorrow: rain. Thursday: rain. Friday: rain. Saturday: partly cloudy. Sunday: rain. Monday: rain.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Egg Note
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 218 posted      Profile for Egg Note   E-mail Egg Note   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh boy, apparently a tropical depression is forming just right to the south of where I live.

Yay.

--------------------
Okay, just to make it clear, there is a real world out there. No really, there is. I checked.

Posts: 886 | From: Suffolk, VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This wasn't aimed at me, but yeah, I got the idea. [lol]

Zor "My poor plants are drowning!" ro

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages