snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Rain, rain. go away! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Rain, rain. go away!
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am back to work as of yesterday. My home computer is still not hooked up yet (Don't know if it works, it got wet).

The damage is pretty small in terms of price and to the house. I just had to throw away alot of things that were very sentimental. Like a gigantic teddy bear that we bought for Joseph (stillborn) and save for Will. I am sad that Will will never get to play with it.

Also, there is much self blame. Being a new house, I didn't know what steps needed to be taken to prevent this. The former owner covered the sump pump hole with a material I have been calling "cement board," it is like drywall, but made of cement. Having never seen it before, I though that that was the bottom of the stairwells and discovered the holes by accident. I managed to get pumps sunday morning only because Lowes in Woburn didn't open until 8. The pumps were fairly ineffective until I found the holes.

The part that is killing me is that I am great in a crisis. I did great and held up admirably (accorning to my uncles who abandonded their Mother's Day plans to bail me out, pun not intended) while in getting the pumps running and clearing stuff away to prevent the damage. Now all that is left is cleanup. I am not good with cleanup. I am far too easily distracted and end up giving great effort and accomplishing little. I was supposed to have gotten meds for my ADD last week, but there was a complication. Apparently ADD meds are usually stimulants and it is not a good idea to give a guy with a heart defect amphetamenes.
This leaves me with huge piles of stuff that needs to me moved and I me too easily distracted to do it.

Example: I was to clear out the baby's room to mop the floor with bleach. I start clearing out, putting stuff in the living room. I see something in the living room that attract my attention (a wet box of pictures). I empty the box of pictures, throw away the ruined stuff, and go to look for new dry box. I see that the something is leaking of the bed. I move that into the laundry room. The washer and dryer aren't running, so I switch laundry. Now it's dinnertime and I haven't finished anything.

The baby is sick, he seems to have a cold. He's cranky and uncomfortable, so my wife is upstairs with him and I am working alone.

I am just very frutrated.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, ADD sucks. I'm on meds and I still get distracted (although not quite as bad as I used to). I don't know if it will work for you but what I used to do (and still do because its easier for me) is keep a notebook with me and write down what needs to be done. I found that if I concentrate on the notebook and not what I see, I could get things done better. I just added the things I saw to the bottom of the list.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actaully ranting here has made me feel much better.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rant away, DemonWolf. Most of us aren't in any position to help you in the real world, but we surely can read your posts, sympathize and wish you the best. Could the teddy bear be taken to the dry cleaners?

Best of luck to the rest of you folks, too. I can only imagine how frightening it is to be in the middle of a flood, even if you didn't have to leave your home.

*big hugs*

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you can't get the giant teddy bear dry cleaned, or if it's not appropriate, how about putting it in the tub with a little mild detergent, and stomping on it for a while? It will help get it clean, and help you release a little frustration, too. Probably it'll take a few days to dry, but then a hair dryer and a big-toothed comb will fluff it up.

Hope you can get everything dried out, and that your son feels better soon. Let us know, 'k?

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
giant teddy bear: take it to the laundramat and use a double or triple load washer.

Don't worry, Demonwolf. I did the same thing after an apartment fire. It's completely understandable and from what I saw of the others in the complex, very typical. One thing that helped me is when my brother said "Ok, what we're going to do is move all the furniture to this part of the living room." and we did. Somehow someone else telling me just that one thing to do, made it much simpler.

Another thing I've learned is that losing stuff isn't nearly as traumatic later as you thought it would be. Though I got rid of nearly 50% of my possessions, I haven't in the past two years found that the loss of these things has made any impact on my life. It's amazing to me that I ended up just walking away from a ton of stuff that I'd carted around for years and just said "eh". And never looked back. It did, however, prompt me to start putting all of my family photos on CDs, and make copies for my brother. And always keep a flashlight by the front door.

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
Thats near where we were last night. Yeah, they were/are getting hid hard. My Dad is in Milford and they are getting pretty wet too.

momto4+, if you happen to peek in, how is the Sou doing down there?

Ok Im a little late here. The Souhegan by Veterans Bridge (the one that goes to North River Rd) was real high. Wilton wasnt so bad because of the dam by the Mill (on 101)
Did you see the report on the news on Tuesday night? Lone kayaker (drunk as a skunk) decided to go down the river on 31. Lost his paddle got to sure went back in to find his paddle. Water rescue neccessary. My hubby was working spent 4+ hours out there.

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I didn't hear about the kayaker. Doesn't sound like the smartest fish in the school. Dad said that Osgood tried to merge with the back yard though. Fortunatly, it didn't work.

Down in the park below the bridge is where my step-Sis had her wedding.

--------------------

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We are up on a hill so we didnt get any problems.
Friends of mine in Milf had flooding basements.
Amherst-Boston Post Rd was bad as usual. Souhegan High flooded a little.
Wilton Co-op was cancelled on Monday because L'boro was flooded and they cancelled school there so no high school classes.
The elementary here still had school but attendance was minimal.
I have 2 in the co-op and 2 at the elementary-I kept them home.

--------------------
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wits and add drama to an otherwise dull day! -Calvin and Hobbes

Posts: 251 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

.....And its pouring again.

Mine didn't have school Mon and Tues. They were very glad to get back on Wed. I'm betting the drive-in flooded. Thats usually one of the first places to flood.

--------------------

momto4+
Deck the Malls

Icon 504 posted      Profile for momto4+     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Strangely enough it didnt flood that bad. And nobody evacuated from the trailer park right there. Which usually happens with alot of rain.
Not raining here yet!!!! ***fingers crossed***

--------------------

tribrats

Yeah, I remember an icy, wet winter (maybe around '83ish?) when ice chunks the size of buicks were all over the drive-in when the river flooded. I should see if either of my folks still have pics.

--------------------

Radical Dory
God Rest Ye Merry Retail Clerks

Icon 1 posted