snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Rain, rain. go away! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Rain, rain. go away!
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had a pretty crappy year for weather on the west coast too. It rained hard for months (including some minor flooding), and now its been dismal every day for months. If we're lucky the sun peeks through for an hour or two in the late afternoon, but mostly its just a grey fog everywhere.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its pouring again. I hope there is school tomorrow but that's going to depend on how soon they can get the roads rebuilt.

My cat is so stupid (part of the problem is that he thinks he's a dog- a watchdog at that!). He won't use the cat box durring the day and insists on going out. He's to dumb to get out of the rain and will just sit on the railing getting soaked. Then he wants to come in and sit on my lap! Yesterday when he curled up in the middle of the lawn a worm must have used his rump as shelter because it was still stuck to his hip when he came in. The other cat will go out at the same time and come in dry every time. But the female is by far the smartest. She won't go out in this weather.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pouring here, too, although they say it should end by noon.

I watched the 11:00 news last night, and the stories were as follows:

rain
flooding
dams
rivers
flooding
-Bush speech
-conjoined twins separated
flooding
schools closed
weather report (more rain)
-Red Sox crushed Baltimore 11-1
-Doug Flutie retires
flooding
rain
dams failing
roads washed out
schools closed
flooding

Six miles of Route 1 are still closed, from Revere up to Danvers. Highway traffic is at a standstill.

The Spicket River dam may fail. The Merrimack River is tidal for the last few miles, and high tide is in an hour. Most rivers will be cresting this morning.

In the forecast: no more than an inch of additional rain today, showers continuing throughout the week. [Roll Eyes]

What I find truly amazing: no loss of life, no serious injuries (thus far).

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 15 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, at least The Sox won! [Big Grin] [Wink] We lost a whole lake in Webster. At least my In-Laws are uphill from it. Although they do have 2 feet of water in the basement.

--------------------

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doug Flutie retired? Why was I not informed?!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zekaille
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zekaille     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We are drowning in my part of Connecticut. Yesterday an entire daycare class (29 three year olds) walked the mile from their school to the library for story hour. I commented that the teachers must have been desperate to hike the kids out in the rain. However, THEY felt it wasn't really raining at that moment. (Yeah, it was only drizzling.) In the next few minutes, however, the sky split open and the rain poured down and remained pouring down for an hour while the teachers considered their options. They couldn't drive the kids, they sure couldn't make kids who didn't have rain coats walk the distance and staying here wasn't an option. At last they called the head of the daycare and she drove over bringing with her about six BIG umbrellas and extra teachers. We wound up giving them all our plastic bags for makeshift raincoats. Then the teachers walked them out of the place in small groups, huddled under the umbrellas. The kids all were instructed to cling to the teacher so they'd be under the umbrella. Some of the kids were terrified of the pounding rain and others saw it as an adventure. And I was sort of hoping that there were dryers at the daycare because the parents would not be happy that their kids were soaking wet.

It hasn't stopped pouring since. The upside, as has been mentioned, is that the pollen count is waaaaaaaay down. The damp level, unfortunately, is waaaaaaaaaaay up, so while I am not sneezing as much, I am still getting damp induced headaches. (Which are greatly enhanced by adorable, but terrified three year olds screaming in horror at the rain....) All I've really wanted to do since Sunday is curl up in bed, let the kitty cat settle in on my lap, pull the covers up and sleep.

Unfortunately, both the cat and I like to eat and I'm the one with the job....

Hope everyone else is staying dry...

--------------------
"Oh, you're nothing but two ears and a hat!"--my (then) 4 year old niece, following an argument with her uncle

Posts: 100 | From: Bridgeport, CT | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's pretty scary over here, I'm very near some bad flooding, but luckily the SO and I live in a neighborhood high enough that all we've gotten is a few inches of water in the basement. Our families were also lucky enough to live in higher up areas, so we're all doing fine. So awful how many people are losing their homes and possessions though. [Frown] We live near Beaver Brook and it's scary how high it's gotten. And the bridge over the Merrimack river that I usually go over to get to and from work is only ten feet above the river, when usually the river is about thirty feet below. [Eek!] It's all quite crazy to see, but we're so lucky to have been spared, all we've really had is a bit of annoyance, and a pump from the Home Depot has basically fixed the water problem in the basement.

I hope all the other New England snopesters are doing ok. Hugs to those who are having a hard time with this weather.

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm

Icon 27 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
Well, at least The Sox won! [Big Grin] [Wink]

Yeah but look who they played! The Orioles aren't exactly a powerhouse team!

Lord, please shut off the waterworks! New England has had enough! Send some down to Florida; my MIL says her area could use some rain.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There ya go, raining on my parade! [Wink] Don't you think we have enough rain? [fish] [fish]

--------------------

SoToasty
Flock to malls with boughs of cash

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoToasty   E-mail SoToasty   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I really don't want to rain on anyones pararde, just wanted to poke my head in here and say..

Rain, YEA!!! We Got Rain.

--------------------
Wherever ya go, there ya are.

Posts: 816 | From: Florida | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Four Kitties, how close are you to Winthrop? I used to live there right across the street from the ocean. Just wondering how Winthrop is holding up.

Everyone, I hope the no deaths and no serious injuries trend continues. Property damage is bad enough! My thoughts are with you, and I pray that you will be safe.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just waiting to see who blames this on gay marriage.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Archie2K
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archie2K   Author's Homepage   E-mail Archie2K   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Send it this way to the South East of England. My local area, water supplier Thames Water, has a hosepipe ban in operation, and we can't get water butts in fast enough to supply the impossible demand. Of course the fact that our local water supplier loses 9million litres of water a day or something to that effect doesn't help the situation. They have spent half a million on upgrading the victorian water supply, but made one million in shareholders' profit. And now they are getting a pillaring in the local press.

Thames Watergates I and II have involved them having their windows washed using a hosepipe (banned) and using a sprinkler to water their new garden (also banned). They disown all responsibility.

Then, working in a garden centre, I get all the elderly "experts" won come out with asinine things such as "Why can't we pump the water from Scotland?". I would tell them the answer, but I presume that the question is rhetorical and they just want to sound smart and cynical.

Despite how hilarious I find the whole situation, there is a serious side. England has had many consecutive dry winters and hot summers. 2003 was the European heatwave, last year was exceptionally dry too, and with a dry winter, they are talking about a hosepipe ban for at least two years, maybe indefinately. Massive development of the South-East is using up natural resources where the rain just isn't falling. Meanwhile Wales and Scotland have plenty of water and not so many people. I foresee water conversation being a big issue in the near future, possibly even leading to a halt of South East development. Fascinating stuff, this. [Smile]

So, send all the rain you want. We need it!

Posts: 1985 | From: Reading, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, no school in Melrose again tomorrow, and possibly not for the rest of the week. Apparently several schools have been flooded with raw sewage, and will have to be emptied and disinfected. (Glad I don't live there.) Kinda sucks they'll probably tack another week onto the end of the school year, and this week the kids were supposed to be taking the MCAS apparently.

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's rained like crazy here in the mornings the past two days but cleared up by mid-afternoon both days. The allergies are a bit better, but not totally. It's supposed to rain off and on the rest of the week.

I hope all the New England Snopesters are okay!!

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lavender blue
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lavender blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zorro:
It's rained like crazy here in the mornings the past two days but cleared up by mid-afternoon both days.

Y'know Zorro, I hope you're happy that your wish for rain has been granted. Not only have you managed to make it rain like crazy, you've managed to time it to coincide with my commute to and from work.

lavender blue the drenched

--------------------
catagenesis [evol]-evolution leading to decadence and decreased vigor.

Posts: 480 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LOL, sorry about that. If it makes you feel any better, my commute up 287 was rather slow this morning, too, because of flooding.

--------------------

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago,G.R.I.T.S.:
Four Kitties, how close are you to Winthrop? I used to live there right across the street from the ocean. Just wondering how Winthrop is holding up.

Winthrop is fine -- it's rivers that are the problem, not the ocean. All this water hasn't raised the sea level any [Wink] so they're fine until hurricane season starts next month. [Razz]

Three more inches of rain in the backyard since last night, but they're saying the worst is over. Remember: an inch of rain is the equivalent moisture of a foot of snow! The weather gurus say this was the same kind of stalled front that caused the Blizzard of '78. Had all this rain been snow, I'd be 15 feet under. [Eek!]

There's a great big glowing ball in the sky, trying to break through the clouds! I think it's an asteroid -- what else could it possibly be? [Confused]

Four Kitties

ETA: Trishest, it's been rumored for a coupla weeks but he made it official yesterday. clickie

--------------------

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 02 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like we have had our first fatality. It says they think he drove around the barricade. [flame] Why do people ignore warnings like that?

--------------------

Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Four Kitties. I couldn't remember if there was a river near Winthrop or not. It was a while back, 1961-62 to be exact, and I was a poor Navy wife who didn't get out much!

I have to ask all of you who are saying to send it your way if you realize just how bad it is. Maybe pray and/or wish for rain, but this? I don't think so. [Wink]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

But if we divide it up amongst those that want it, it wouldn't be so bad! I'll even pay the shipping fees!

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Mother returned this afternoon from an overnight trip to New York to find no water in her basement.  -

Brother and sister-in-law's house has not yet slid off the hillside, despite the (new) stream running under it.

Chorus rehearsal in Melrose was not cancelled this evening (although there were more than a few empty seats) -- the church basement where we practice stayed completely dry.

Dams are holding, even the Spickett River dam in Methuen which is the one they're most worried about. The rivers crested early this afternoon; the forecasters say they should be back to "normal" flood stage by the end of the week.

Four Kitties

--------------------

tribrats

I'm almost afraid. I woke up this morning to a great big ball of fire in the sky. I seem to remember something like that before. It feels good but its hurting my eyes. I hope it sticks around for a while.

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
tribrats, I saw it too! Then it went behind some clouds and everything was normal again.

--------------------

tribrats

Well, we had sun most of the day but about 1/2 hour ago it started sprinkling again. They are predicting a chance of thunder storms tonight.

--------------------

TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was nice and sunny today and everyone was mowing their marshes. I mean swamps. I mean yards.

The weatherman is predicting more rain for the next seven days. Dammit, I have a whole garden to replant! Make with the sunshine, NOW!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Bright and sunny with very high pollen counts here all day today. [Mad]

Tribrats, I'll take a portion of all that rain from you. [Wink] A significant portion, but yeah, just a portion.

--------------------

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are the people in New Hampshire and Massachusetts who left their homes this week due to flooding referred to as "evacuees" when the people in Louisiana and Mississippi who left their homes due to flooding during Katrina were referred to as "refugees?"

Four Kitties

--------------------

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

I was wondering that myself.

--------------------

tribrats

Well, its pouring again. I will try to send it down to you, Zorro. May take a few days, gonna send it out over the ocean so it won't hit 4K and all the others in Mass.

Good question, 4K. Here's what I found and my thoughts:
(answers.com)
quote:
e·vac·u·ee (ĭ-văk'yū-ē')
n.

A person evacuated from a dangerous area.

quote:
ref·u·gee (rĕf'yʊ-jē')
n.

One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.
[French réfugié, from past participle of réfugier, to take refuge, from Old French, from refuge, refuge. See refuge.]

Maybe the difference is that up here, we can expect the people to be able to go home after a few days but down there, its not the same.

--------------------

DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had two incehes in my apartment. It started saturday and continues until sunday night. I am still cleaning out. Lots of things needed to be thown out. I haven't even been able to test ost of the electronics that were on the floor (like my computer) to see what works. Xbox 360 may be a loss. Several pictures, diplomas, educational certificates, awards, etc were in a box in the closet, much damage, much ruin.
Babies room had minimal damage, I finished washing that down last night. I will begin cleaning out my bedroom so that my wife and son can return home. We've been living upstairs with my mother since sunday afternoon. I've been sleeping on the floor and the dogs think I make a great mattress. I am not a happy camper.

I am depressed, angry and very stressed. I am nearing my breaking point. The reality is that I was very lucky, but That doesn't seem to matter right now.

ETA: I am not looking forward the two inches that are expected tonight.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
What I find truly amazing: no loss of life, no serious injuries (thus far).

It was too good to last. One death reported. They found him in his car (I can't remember where), apparently he ignored warnings that the road was closed and got stuck somehow.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Demonwolf, so sorry. Sounds like you got hit pretty bad. I can understand you must be almost at your breaking point, and I'm sure the cleanup won't make you feel any better. Vibes coming your way from very close by (I never realized we're practically neighbors) and I hope you all make it through with your sanity intact.

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

DWolf, are you staying home from work? Because I'm happy to come over and lend you a hand with cleanup if you like.

Four Kitties

--------------------

tribrats

((((DW and family)))) I hope you discover that the damage is less than you think. I know that there isn't much I can say to help but I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

The story about the fatality is in one of my earlier posts. He was from Derry, NH but it happened in Topsfield in the Ipswich River.

quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
Looks like we have had our first fatality. It says they think he drove around the barricade. [flame] Why do people ignore warnings like that?

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages