snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Buckle Up Your Kids! A Great Update! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Buckle Up Your Kids! A Great Update!
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We are super-anal about buckling. My dad was in an accident when I was little (not buckled) and got seriously hurt - still has pain sometimes almost 30 years later.

We always wear ours and if I am zoning DS will remind me that I haven't buckled him (not that it happens often; but at least he knows it's important!)

People like that piss me off. Like TGirl said- if you want to endanger yourself- whatever. Don't NFBSK with your kids - they don't know better until you teach them!

kathryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by aussie girl

I don't think it happens so much down here, probably because we have mandatory seat belt laws for everyone

apparently we now have the same law thanks to some of our rulers sent to Aus to find out how to do it.
here

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My neices and nephew were taught at an early age to buckle up. They're over the age limit now for booster seats, but we have no problem with getting them to buckle up.
People who don't buckle up their kids are just stupid and should be reported. It's easier to take a few mintues to make sure the kid is buckled up than to have to bury them because of your stupidity.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
J'sMommy
Fighting Irish Stew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J'sMommy   E-mail J'sMommy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in 1997 my church lost several older women in a one van wreck. The lady who was driving fell asleep and ran off the road, and she jerked the wheel too hard while trying to regain control. This made the van flip over, and the women who were not wearing seat belts were thrown onto the interstate. Needless to say they all died. The ones wearing seat belts were injured to different degrees, but all lived.

I was teaching kindergarten Sunday School at the time, and all the kids I had had grandparents who were friends with the ladies in the wreck, so I knew they were going to have a lot of questions. One little girl was sort of quiet, but she finally said, "Who died?". I tried to explain to her who had passed and who she wouldn't be seeing anymore, but she said again, "No, who died?" I paused, not knowing what else to say, and she looked me straight in the eye and said, "The ones without seat belts. They died."

I wasn't too good about wearing my seat belt before then, but when a four year old stares you down and says something like that it makes you think. I got the message, I've worn one ever since.

--------------------
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
I'm an Avon Rep! Email me for information on ordering.

Posts: 30 | From: Alabama | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Starla:
[QUOTE] In CA one must have a booster seat or car seat for any child under 8 and they MAY NOT ride in front until age 16,

Um, no. CA is 6 or 60 lbs, and the restriction on kids under 16 in the front seat is only if they are in a rear facing car seat, weigh less than 20 lbs., or the vehicle does not meet other exceptions in the code.

ETA: Clarity

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 99 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
We taught our kids a little chant as we buckled "Buckle up for safety" and would say it in a sing-songy way as we buckled them in. They got so by the time they could talk they would pitch a fit when Daddy didn't buckle.

Whoa!!! My mom sang that song too! I think the whole thing is:
Buckle up for safety buckle up!
Show the world you care by the belt you wear-

I think it probably STARTED with Mom singing as she fastened us little ones into our carseats. She rarely sings on key, though, so when we got a little older we rushed to fasten ourselves in before she got too far into the song.

This method really did it for me; when I got my license, I wouldn't even start the car until all my friends had their seatbelts on (and on properly- none of that tuck-the-shoulder-belt-under-your-arm crap). Stood up to, "But we're not even getting on the highway," and everything. All because I was taught from a young age that when people aren't securely fastened, horrible off-key singing happens.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kathryn
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kathryn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom's version (that I'm now singing to Macallan) goes like this:

Keep your mind at ease, wear your seatbelt PLEASE!
Buckle up for safety everybody buckle up!

Kat"Sung at high volume, of course!"hryn

--------------------
Keeper of the American Idol Pool 2006

Pamper yourself!

Posts: 1085 | From: Transplanted Yankee in North Carolina | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 99 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karmyn:

People who don't buckle up their kids are just stupid and should be reported. It's easier to take a few mintues to make sure the kid is buckled up than to have to bury them because of your stupidity.

Thats just the boost I needed. I have been an emotional wreck since talking to the principal. Now I am positive I did the right thing. My stomach is just now starting to settle. Getting the police involved is no small deal by any means. Thanks.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J'sMommy:
Back in 1997 my church lost several older women in a one van wreck. The lady who was driving fell asleep and ran off the road, and she jerked the wheel too hard while trying to regain control. This made the van flip over, and the women who were not wearing seat belts were thrown onto the interstate. Needless to say they all died. The ones wearing seat belts were injured to different degrees, but all lived.

I was teaching kindergarten Sunday School at the time, and all the kids I had had grandparents who were friends with the ladies in the wreck, so I knew they were going to have a lot of questions. One little girl was sort of quiet, but she finally said, "Who died?". I tried to explain to her who had passed and who she wouldn't be seeing anymore, but she said again, "No, who died?" I paused, not knowing what else to say, and she looked me straight in the eye and said, "The ones without seat belts. They died."

I wasn't too good about wearing my seat belt before then, but when a four year old stares you down and says something like that it makes you think. I got the message, I've worn one ever since.

These are actually the types of stories that make me never want to wear a seat belt ever again. Headed to Las Vegas my father ran the car off the road in New Mexico (trying to avoid a critter [Roll Eyes] ) and flipped it a few times. My mother wasn't wearing her seat belt and she was thrown from the car. Their insane amount of lugage came crashing through the passenger side dash board from the back. No one believes there is anyway she'd still be alive today if she had been in the car/wearing her seat belt. My father also wasn't wearing a seat belt and suffered almost no injuries from the crash. I know it's usually safer to use seat belts and its best to bet the odds but sometimes the losing horse wins the race. I do better with statistics on this issue than with individual experiences... because I think, the police/medics thought my parents lives were saved due to them not buckling up. Life's a crap shoot, 7 and 11 might be less likely than all the other posibilities combined but they do get come up on occasion. There are some that have played the crap shoot of life and won.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My cousin and his then fiance (now wife) were coming home on the night he proposed in 1995 and flipped when she hydroplaned (really bad rainstorm hit). She was wearing a seatbelt. He wasn't. The rescuers said that if she wasn't, she would surly have been killed and if he was, he would have been killed. If he had his on, it would have held him in the seat but the very large rock that came through the roof when they landed would have crushed his head. As it is, it left him paralized but like he says, thats better than dead.

Still doesn't change my mind about buckling up though.

--------------------

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Karmyn
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karmyn   E-mail Karmyn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Statistics say that accidents where it is worse not to wear your seatbelts are very rare. Cars don't burst into flame that often and it just takes a second to unbuckle if you need to so you can escape the vehicle.

--------------------
"I have a very cunning plan."

Posts: 506 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who has the sig line that says," the plural of anecodote is not data?" I'm sure you can build all kinds of freak contrived cases[1] that go against what is generally proven to be safe, but the fact of the matter is that you are statistically much much safer buckled in your car than flying around outside it. Moreover, if you think that flying luggae might be problem in an accident, the correct "cure" for that is to secure you luggage better, not to try to get yourself ejected from the car in a crash.

Nick

[1]Here, I'll make one up: I know your are supposed to wait for a green light to cross the road, but one time I was in hurry and I dodged traffic to get to the other side. Just then a 2 ton safe fell out of 10th story window and landed right where I was standing! If I had waited for the light I would be dead! So now I always cross against traffic.

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok statics might prove seat belts are safer but most, that I've seen, that try to get people to wear them use individual examples.... I just have a really hard time relating to those know my mom would be dead if she wore one. If they showed 50 crashes and 48 survived because of seat belts, one lived because of no seatbelt and one blew up on impact, I might have a greater desire to wear a seat belt. I would believe they were at least being more honest with me. Although, being my libertarian self (sort of since our state curently doesn't recongnize the party), I don't think anyone should have the rights to force adults to wear one. I want to live in a free country where I have the right to dare to be stupid.

--------------------

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chimera:
I just have a really hard time relating to those know my mom would be dead if she wore one. If they showed 50 crashes and 48 survived because of seat belts, one lived because of no seatbelt and one blew up on impact, I might have a greater desire to wear a seat belt. I would believe they were at least being more honest with me.

No, Chimera, you don't *know* that your mother would be dead. You speculate, and there may be valid reason to believe so, but you don't know what would have happened in this alternate situation. There are too many variables and it is just conjecture. It is not fact. And the statistics you are talking about are available. The 1950's mentality of "I'd rather be thrown clear than burn to death because my seatbelt won't release" is really dangerous. I would hope that you aren't teaching your son or the neighbourhood kids that you so often talk about, that seat belts are bad. Not only is it a mixed message, but it's wrong.

And for every anecdote you present, I'll give you two of my own.

quote:
...I don't think anyone should have the rights to force adults to wear one. I want to live in a free country where I have the right to dare to be stupid.

Umm...living in Canada this is easy for me to answer, but if even *one penny* of my tax dollars are used for health care, then I would demand that the most dangerous types of behaviour are eliminated. Because they cost more money. Driving without a seat belt is just one way we can save money. But if your political bent is to eliminate public funding from things like, say, education and health care, then go after the cause, and not the effect. Once there is absolutely *zero* public money going towards this, then you can create your "free-for-all" utopia.

This philosophy of making adults "do as they are told" shouldn't be so offensive to you as you believe. In europe, for example, to ski in some places you need to buy specific insurance, as a tourist. Skiers (*especially* tourists) are at higher risk for injury than the general public, and the medical facilities need to be bolstered to accomodate the extra injuries. The ski hills are sometimes even on - *gasp* - private land - and people are told what to do there. Don't litter. Don't go on the world-cup downhill run without a helmet. Don't pee in the bushes where nobody is looking. I mean - gosh - all these rules we have to follow. It's just a dictatorship. It's not a "free" society.

It's *private property*. It's owned by someone and they get to make the rules.

Now extend that concept to the whole of the country. That which is not owned by an individual, is owned by the government, which is composed of the citizens and taxpayers. So that means that the highway you drive on is owned, in some small part, by me and all the other citizens and taxpayers. And more of them want you to wear your seat belt.

Not everything is about libertarianism. Some rules are actually a good idea. Should you ever be a successful candidate, even you will find this out.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
quote:
I just have a really hard time relating to those know my mom would be dead if she wore one. If they showed 50 crashes and 48 survived because of seat belts, one lived because of no seatbelt and one blew up on impact, I might have a greater desire to wear a seat belt. I would believe they were at least being more honest with me.

No, Chimera, you don't *know* that your mother would be dead. You speculate, and there may be valid reason to believe so, but you don't know what would have happened in this alternate situation. There are too many variables and it is just conjecture. It is not fact. And the statistics you are talking about are available. The 1950's mentality of "I'd rather be thrown clear than burn to death because my seatbelt won't release" is really dangerous. I would hope that you aren't teaching your son or the neighbourhood kids that you so often talk about, that seat belts are bad. Not only is it a mixed message, but it's wrong.
Using the numbers Chimera has provided, you could look at it this way:

- wear your seatbelt and you will survive 96% of crashes.

- don't wear it and you can survive 2% fo crashes.

- in 2% of crashes you have no hope.

If I were a betting man, I'd place my money (and my life) on the 96%.

When I was in high school in the (egad) '80s we had a speaker come talk to us about vehicles. Most of us had either just gotten our licenses, or were on the verge, so the school district arranged this session (which in retrospect shows incredible leadership).

Anyways, the expert started talking about seatbelts in the car and helmets on motorcycles. One benefit of the seatbelt that does not get mentioned often is that during a skidding moment you (the driver) are stuck to your seat and may have the ability to recover from the skid. Likewise your passengers will not be flying into you.

As for helmets (which I view as equally important as seatbelts) he mentioned that despite that helmets provide relatively poor protection in a lot of crashes, their protection while riding is excellent. Case in point, how many windshields are chipped by gravel flying from car tires? Imagine your head as the windshield. Ouch.

Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UEL:
quote:
quote:

Using the numbers Chimera has provided, you could look at it this way:

- wear your seatbelt and you will survive 96% of crashes.

- don't wear it and you can survive 2% fo crashes.

- in 2% of crashes you have no hope.

If I were a betting man, I'd place my money (and my life) on the 96%.

That's fine, except that Chimera's figures are

A) entirely fictional

B) off by about an order of magnitude

Which just makes the argument *for* seatbelts that much stronger.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Unusual Elfin Lights
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unusual Elfin Lights   Author's Homepage   E-mail Unusual Elfin Lights   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's fine, except that Chimera's figures are

A) entirely fictional

B) off by about an order of magnitude

Which just makes the argument *for* seatbelts that much stronger.

I know her numbers were made up. I was trying to emphasize that her position did not make sense, from a percentage outlook. [Wink]
Posts: 2064 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good points, UEL! One of my Great Aunt's accidents before Dad was able to get them to revoke her license was worsened when she slid out from behind the wheel. She had bench seats and hit some ice. When she skidded and tried to correct, she slid across the bench. You can't really control a car very well from the passenger seat. Dad never could make her understand why she should wear her seatbelt.

Just a funny aside, she told him that she didn't see how they could be that important, they didn't have them when she was a kid. She was born in 1912!

--------------------

Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UEL:

[...]
As for helmets (which I view as equally important as seatbelts) he mentioned that despite that helmets provide relatively poor protection in a lot of crashes, their protection while riding is excellent. Case in point, how many windshields are chipped by gravel flying from car tires? Imagine your head as the windshield. Ouch.

[hijack]I've had a chip in my windshield for years from a piece of gravel that dropped off a NSFBKing uncovered dump truck being driven at highway speeds, but that's the topic for another rant.[/hijack]

In regards to helmets, the other thing to keep in mind is that, even though it may not make a difference if you crash into a semi going at 70 mph, not all accidents occur that way. Many times, you might see it coming and attempt to brake or evade, and thus reduce your speed to a point that the presence of a helmet would make a difference in your survival.

In a more cynical moment, I've come up with a quasi-evil "modest proposal" that would balance out the competing libertarian-style "I have a right to be stupid" ideas with society's interest in reducing the burden of costs associated with avoidable tragedy. I propose that states offer drivers (say, over 25 years of age) the ability to register (for a fee) as a non-user of seat belts and motorcycle helmets. This special license would be contingent upon (1) that the user would be responsible for all costs (not covered by his insurance) that are associated with the rescue, transport, treatment, and rehabiliation from avoidable injuries resulting from an accident and (2) the user agrees to sign the organ donor registration form. This proposal would allow society to offload some of the costs associated with people not taking appropriate safety precautions, allow them to act stupid if they want to, and increase the supply of transplantable organs.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Chimera, I sincerely hope you buckle up your son.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boyfriend got in a wreck on the highway in which his brakes went out, he skidded, was turned completely around, and got hit head-on by a snap on tools truck. He walked out without a scratch. He only had a bruise on his cheast from the seatbelt. The car was completely undrivable. Everyone who witnessed the accident were surprised that he walked out of his car, and wasn't bleeding.

My father got in a car accident, and now has brain damage because he did not wear a seatbelt. When his van hit the other van, he flew foward and hit his head on the plastic between the front and side windshield. He recieved a contrecoup head injury, was unconscious for a few weeks, in the hospital for about two months, and in rehab for 4 or so months. My mother only had chemical burns from the air bags, and a small gash on her hand. My father could not tie shoes, remember things, or focus for a long while. He still cannot watch a whole movie, or being in a place with a lot of visual stimuli, because he becomes overwhelmed. Now he wears his seatbelt...

I can't remember a time when I ever didn't wear a seatbelt. Without one on, I feel wrong. In our truck, no one goes anywhere without a seat belt. When we took our niece to the movies, we made sure she kept her seatbelt on. When she asked why she had to wear it, I told her that we didn't want her to get hurt if we had an accident.

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Relating to helmets and motorcycles...
Heck you don't need to be hit by a rock, even a bumble bee moving at 70mph snaps your head back and hurts like hell.

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 16 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy101:
Relating to helmets and motorcycles...
Heck you don't need to be hit by a rock, even a bumble bee moving at 70mph snaps your head back and hurts like hell.

I had no clue they could fly that fast! [Eek!]

Never mind, I'll get it. [fish]

--------------------

Chimera

Yes my numbers were entirely made up. So sorry if that wasn't obvious to everyone but even the police and medics think my mom would now be dead if she hadn't been thrown from the car. I know its speculation and she didn't walk away unharmed. However a multitude of lugage left the back of the car and crushed down the passenger side seat and continued traveling until it also got the chance to smash the dash board. They were headed to Vegas after all... they took a gamble... they also took a very heavy suit case full of pennies. If I can find the pictures I'll post them but I don't think anyone would believe she'd have survived if she had still been in her seat.

--------------------

Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes my numbers were entirely made up. So sorry if that wasn't obvious to everyone but even the police and medics think my mom would now be dead if she hadn't been thrown from the car. I know its speculation and she didn't walk away unharmed. However a multitude of lugage left the back of the car and crushed down the passenger side seat and continued traveling until it also got the chance to smash the dash board. They were headed to Vegas after all... they took a gamble... they also took a very heavy suit case full of pennies. If I can find the pictures I'll post them but I don't think anyone would believe she'd have survived if she had still been in her seat.

Chimera, you seem to miss the point that the likelihood of injury *when thrown clear* is higher than if your mother remained in the car. Call it the coincidence of two fortunate events. But if she was lucky enough not to be wearing a seat belt in the one in ten-thousand case where it is the better thing, then she was even *more* fortunate to not be hurt or killed when thrown from the vehicle.

Consider this anecdote - 2003 in Battle Mountain, Nevada, two men miss the company bus and get in a car to drive to the mine. The driver is sleepy and loses control while speeding. The passenger, already sleeping, is thrown clear from the vehicle. The driver was well enough to attend the passenger's funeral. Being "thrown clear" from a moving vehicle at 80+mph is still dangerous.

--------------------

MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell, there's a video somewhere in the photo section of the boards of someone being ran over after being thrown from the car. In most circumstances, i'd wager its much safer to be banged around in a car than to fly out onto a highway.

Edit: a 'T'.

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a commercial a few years ago (can't remember if it was England or here) that showed a woman being killed because her child, sitting unseatbelted in the back, basically became a missle when he got projected forward in car crash.

I just can't imagine anyone not realising that that could happen all too easily especially in a car crash going at some speed.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The other thing that can become a missile in an accident is the rear centre lap belt - if not kept "plugged in", it's usually tethered at just the right length to hit any backseat passengers in the head with the buckle.

So.. we keep ours plugged in, just in case.

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

I had a friend DP (I'm almost tempted to print his name because he's a really bad driver) that used to have an amazing ability to hit any stationary object in sight. One day he exited the interestate and ran into a line of parked cars (this guy never even touched the brakes) and sent a friend of mine in the back seat rolling (he's a big guy that thinks "ball" when something happens) into the dash. It smashed it up pretty good, and smashed my friend up a bit as well. In that case DP (who was buckled in wasn't injured at all) but after realizing my other friend was, more or less, ok I always said it happened by Chance (my friends name) when people asked what happened to the inside of the vehicle. I think buckling up is usually safer but I still think its a bit of a crap shoot. Enough of a gamble that I wouldn't limit adults fredoms because of. I always buckle up because I don't want to pay a fine and I want my kid to buckle up but I think adults should have the right to do any dumb thing they want. What comes next? Will they take away my fire poi so I don't burn myself? I realize its a pointless and posibly dangerous hobby but I enjoy it.

--------------------

queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 602 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
There was a commercial a few years ago (can't remember if it was England or here) that showed a woman being killed because her child, sitting unseatbelted in the back, basically became a missle when he got projected forward in car crash.

I just can't imagine anyone not realising that that could happen all too easily especially in a car crash going at some speed.

Yeah I saw that back in Merrie Olde Englande!

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 07 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of ours went to a safety seminar years ago. It talked about 'unsecured' items in the car. Explained how anything became a projectile travelling at the speed prior to impact. Strange example they used: a box of Kleenex at 50 MPH can knock someone out when an accident brings you to an immediate stop. Someone had removed a safety cage in his work van (located right behind the front seats). He loved to bowl, and had the bowling ball in the van to bowl after work. Had an accident, bowling ball in the bag hit him in the head. Instantly killed him. Moral of these stories: if you're carrying stuff in your car, secure it in the trunk especially if it's heavy. Or put it in the glove box. Or do like I do--I seatbelt computer towers, carpet cleaners, etc. It's gotten easier to ignore the taunts over the years.

Tribrats, good for you! Seatbelts should always be used. You may possibly have started a healthy habit that could save one of those kid's lives some day.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's one of the reasons I use a restraint harness on the dog when she gets a car ride. She sits in back, just like a child would, and gets buckled in. DH expressed doubt that the seatbelt would save her in a severe accident. My response was A: it might and B: fifty pounds of dog, traveling at fifty miles per hour...into the back of your head, is bad. She doesn't mind it at all. I feel really weird if I'm not properly buckled in. I'm slowly getting DH into the habit of buckling up.

ETA - Point C about the dog, if we're in a bad crash, her being restrained in the back will make it easier for rescue personnel to get DH and me the help we need. The last thing I need is my frightened, injured dog biting a paramedic who is trying to save me.

ETAgain to correct my grammar.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aussie Girl
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aussie Girl   E-mail Aussie Girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the links, jw and Starla. Nice to see the rest of the world is catching up. [Big Grin]

I've heard the stories, both good and bad, about wearing/not wearing seat belts. Most of it is not good if you don't wear them. (Although I have had one uncle avoid being decapitated because he had his seat back and was laying down. His girlfriend, the driver, wasn't so lucky. [Frown] )

By the way, Hero_Mike, I could be falling into UL stuff here, but I seem to recall that in Australia, the reason that it's mandatory for all people to buckle up is that the hospitals pushed for it, because so many people were winding up there and causing a lot of work for the hospital staff. So, everyone, buckle up! But then, when seatbelts became mandatory, MORE people wound up in hospital, because those who would have died were now winding up in hospital as patients, not corpses. So, sorry, but you're economic route for deterring beltless drivers wouldn't be a good cure-all.

Erk, that came off as a little snarky. Sorry about that, but I just can't think how to rephrase it. [Frown]

Upshot: The idea's good, but I don't think it'd have quite the impact you have in mind.

--------------------
You have just been involved in a drive-by posting.

Posts: 204 | From: CQ, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ok statics might prove seat belts are safer but most, that I've seen, that try to get people to wear them use individual examples.... I just have a really hard time relating to those know my mom would be dead if she wore one. If they showed 50 crashes and 48 survived because of seat belts, one lived because of no seatbelt and one blew up on impact, I might have a greater desire to wear a seat belt. I would believe they were at least being more honest with me. Although, being my libertarian self (sort of since our state curently doesn't recongnize the party), I don't think anyone should have the rights to force adults to wear one. I want to live in a free country where I have the right to dare to be stupid.

I have no problem with you being stupid.

I have problems with the people who are stupid and want someone else to pay the health care bill that comes with the stupidity.

BTW, I would not be here today if my parents had not paid extra to have seatbelts installed in their 1964 Buick Station Wagon and made us use them.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While we're gathering anecdotes, here's mine: I have been in two accidents that I might not have survived if I hadn't been wearing a seatbelt.

I was born in 1961, and I remember my father and mother refusing to start the engine until everybody was buckled up. Mom and Dad had driven for years in cars without seatbelts, including when my older brothers were younger, but once seatbelts were available, they were mandatory in my family.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages