snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Rantidote » Buckle Up Your Kids! A Great Update! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Buckle Up Your Kids! A Great Update!
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 501 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I typed and wanted to post this about 2 1/2 hours ago but the internet was broke. (At least my provider was having problems).

I am just fuming right now. I was behind this woman again in the pickup line at school. And again she didn't have her younger kids buckled in. I had followed her up the road, into the driveway (which is close to 1/4 mile long) and into the line. Her kids were jumping all over the car and hanging their arms out the windows. Just a guess but the kids looked maybe 4 and 2.

Well, we get up to the front of the line and her son (maybe about 7) gets in the front seat and doesn't buckle. My son and the boy I drive get in (Lyss has afterschool programs) and we follow them out. The 2 year old is standing between the 2 front seats jumping around! [flame] . He ends up bumping into her and she almost swerved into a van going in. I had enough, her window was down so as loud as I could I yelled "Buckle those kids up!" [Mad] . I couldn't believe it, she did! I still have some questions I would have liked to ask her.

1) I know she had a carseat for the younger one, I could see it. How hard would it be to just snap him in? And at her age, the girl should have had a booster seat anyways.
2) Its state law. Kids under 18 need to be buckled. Under a certain age need to be in a carseat or booster seat. Can you afford the fines?
3) Even if it wasn't law, why wouldn't you buckle them for their own safety, your safety and everyone else on the road! You almost hit another woman because your son was jumping around!

Next time, I will call the police.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hell here in Ontario that 7 year old shouldn't even be in the front seat!

What kind of person does this? I don't see it often, but I see it often enough to notice and be surprised.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VersesBatman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VersesBatman     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What kind of person does this?
A lazy person. To some it's too much trouble to make sure all the kids are buckled up.

--------------------
It's like they took a bunch of movies, put them in a blender and turned it on really fast!-Mystery Science Theater 3000

Posts: 2603 | From: Magna, Utah | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My best friend and I called the cops one time on a family like that. Especially since the adult involved had just walked out of a bar.

And who says the Auntie Posse never does anything real...

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TGirl, I work in a high school and am therefore a mandatory reporter. You haven't lived until you've made a report to DYFS (Division of Youth and Family Services). [Wink]

Yes, the Auntie Posse does in fact do good works in real life. [Wink]

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is what makes this auntie rant. If you cannot afford a car seat around here, there are tons of places that you can get them for free.

I understand there are some situations that might require you transporting a kid without one-- the car with the carseat is gone or something. But to do this over and over? Uh-huh.

Hell, I'm only an auntie and I have a car seat for my car just in case I get called because there is an emergency and I have to pick up one of the wee ones from day care or school or something.

Adults being stupid and potentially hurting themselves is one thing. Adults being stupid and potentially hurting their kids makes my blood boil.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was afraid maybe I was (emotionally) overreacting. Safetywise, I know I'm right but it just made me so mad to see. Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels that way. At first I didn't think it was the same woman. Turns out she has a couple cars.

--------------------

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The kindergarten parents at my DD's school almost never buckle their kids in. I always make sure the Peanut is buckled in. I've seen moms pick up their kids, with a cell planted to their heads, and never even notice the kid bouncing around back there. It just makes me so mad when a parent can't take 2 minutes and make sure their kid is safe. When DD and my nephew (they're 6 months apart) were little we had something like 5 car seats between us, since mom and dad watched the kids they had a pair, my sister had a pair and I had one for when I had the Peanut alone.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
monkey
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for monkey   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The little boy I used to babysit (when he was 3-5) would get so frustrated with me because I made him sit in the back buckled into a booster seat. His mom let him sit up front, sometimes with a seat belt, sometimes without one. No, his mom didn't provide the booster seat for me to use in my car.

When I worked at McD's I think maybe 2% of kids coming through the drive-thru with their parents would actually be buckled. I always made a big deal about the ones who were (Wow! Look at you, buckled in! I'm so proud of you!) and they'd be really excited about getting praised by the McDonald's lady.

--------------------
http://sarahdwebber.wordpress.com/

Posts: 1490 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkey:

When I worked at McD's I think maybe 2% of kids coming through the drive-thru with their parents would actually be buckled. I always made a big deal about the ones who were (Wow! Look at you, buckled in! I'm so proud of you!) and they'd be really excited about getting praised by the McDonald's lady.

[hijack] OMGosh! My kids would die with excitement if the McDonald's lady praised them. Sadly, I think they see McDonald's employees as just about the coolest people in the world.

When I started being more health-conscious the hardest thing was Starlet begging to go to McDonald's (we used to go once a week, now maybe once a month. She always got apple dippers and milk so it wasn't the worst food for her). We both had to break the addiction. [/hijack]

I haven't taught Starlet how to buckle herself in b/c I don't want her to learn how to get herself out. The angle of the seat belt latch makes it tricky to undo while she's in her booster and I like it that way. Also, that way I always must buckle her in and I know it has been done.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I ws stopped by the SQ a few weeks ago and discovered my car seats were not legal.

I had to replace them and get them fitted by a certified fittter before going to the police station to have them checked out.

Major embarassed was I.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
piper
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for piper   Author's Homepage   E-mail piper   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom once saw a woman who didn't have her kids buckled in and followed them until they stopped (presumably at their house) to berate them. With my brother, firmly buckled in.

I was not a wild child by any means, but when I was 5, I was riding with my mom and wondered what would happen if I opened the door ..... while we were driving down the highway. Thankfully I was a) buckled in, and b) spotted by my mother before anything happened. Even parents whose children are usually well-behaved should remember that they still need the protection of seat belts.

--------------------
"I shoot and crochet. I cook and mow the lawn. These things are not contradictions."
-pirateslife

Posts: 377 | From: Southern Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberries 'n Sugar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberries 'n Sugar   E-mail Strawberries 'n Sugar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was younger, my parents had this (Astro) van that had the sliding doors that clicked when they were shut. We must have been in a hurry or it was new or something, but all I know is that halfway through an intersection while my dad was making a left turn the door flew open and my brother's blankie flew into the middle of the street. My mother was always a hardcore buckler, so we were all fine (and the cars stopped so my dad could get the blanket) but now I realize how horrible it would have been if my parents weren't buckle-freaks.

Strawberries 'n Sugar

--------------------
I made it!
-Me

Posts: 298 | From: Eau Claire, WI; formerly Bloomington, MN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 501 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, I see this all the time. Car seats not being used, babes in arms, so many people stuffed in the car that there aren't enough belts. I saw a baby around Xmas who had just had a header into the dashboard and the mother still held her in her arms.

Parents set bad examples when they don't use belts or use them incorrectly. NEVER NEVER NEVER thread the belt under your armpit. Belts are designed to hit major bones that can take the shock. Get a seat belt pad if it irritates your neck, or one of those thingys that pulls it into position.
[Mad]

Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aussie Girl
Deck the Malls

Icon 501 posted      Profile for Aussie Girl   E-mail Aussie Girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That just amazes me, that people would disregard the lives of their children so much. I don't think it happens so much down here, probably because we have mandatory seat belt laws for everyone, not just children. Hell, a friend of mine got a ticket just after he pulled out of his driveway because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt! He had been one of those people that thought "It's just around the corner/down the block/to the corner shops". Not anymore. [Big Grin]

People really, really need to put other people's lives ahead of their own on the road. Especially children. [Mad]

--------------------
You have just been involved in a drive-by posting.

Posts: 204 | From: CQ, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only time my 7 y/o daughter isn't in the back seat and buckled in is when I take her to the bus stop, which involves driving through a series of parking lots at no more than seven or eight miles an hour for about a minute or two, so she sits in the front seat, buckled in. Other than that--always the back seat, always buckled in (she uses a seat belt positioner built into the car). SO's DD is too small to not be buckled in the booster seat--she's always in, no matter what we're doing. I can't imagine why people would take such risks with their kids' lives, personally.

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not excussing it because it is better safe than sorry but its been a quick cultural shift. Almost no one I knew buckled up as a child and loading a half dozen kids in the back of a station wagon wasn't that uncommon. Needing car seats and restraints is limiting on the number that can be transported. I don't know what large families that don't own big vans or busses actually do with their kids. Also our school busses didn't even have seat belts when I was a kid... I don't know if they do now or not but I know they (legally or illegally) ducked that law for some time. At my son's old school they didn't require car/booster seats for field trips and I don't think they had seat belts. My son's still sleep or I'd ask him what he recalls. I think his private school requires them for the school van (there's always piles of them) I guess I'll have to ask before his field trip which is in about a week. No point to that but I always thought it was funny that public schools paid to watch kids could get away with more than parents/friends/whatever that were just taking a kid they knew somewhere.

My one defense though is seating a child in the front seat. When my kid was out growing one of his car seats and I started looking for a boster I was having trouble finding one that didn't require a shoulder harness, which I don't have in the back seat of my car. But since my current car is about 20 years old it also doesn't have air bags. I asked the school saftey officer about it and she actually gave me one (she said the police usually have some free ones available) and told me to use it in the front. Sometimes it looks like people aren't doing the right thing, and maybe they aren't, but they may have been told to do it that way. I'm not talking about the OP where the situation seems obvious but just because someone sees variations from the norm, it doesn't always mean neglect.

I think its good that people are now paying more attention to saftey. Its probably mostly luck that none of my friends or I were ever hurt. Had there been an accident I don't know would've happened. Although, with that said, I still don't like the laws. It seems they are constantly changing (I don't even know how many car and boster seats I've bought, at least I did luck out on scoring a free one by simply asking a police officer what I should do.), they are continually raising the age for them, they restrict a parent's choice to parent their kids as they see fit, and are just plain assinine when applied to adults.

There are a few private places that don't require them like light displays and drive through safaris. Admitedly the kid does jump from one side to the other, up and down and sometimes from the back to the front... in fact last time at the Lazy 5 he steered through most of it (yeah, I know, its probably not a good thing to let a seven year old drive around wild animals but he is a good driver when he's paying attention... besides the worst that could happen is a 1-2 mph collision with a zebra although that might get the park and PETA people jumping on my ass). But nothing the kid has ever done has compaired to most any animal I've ever transported and to my knowledge there are no laws about those. Have you ever tried to drive with a bulldog in your lap, a snake around your neck (I'm constantly losing my snake sacks) and a shepherd running around your car? Its not an easy task. I hate going to the vet but I'm sure I'm more of the hazzard then than I would be regardless of the amount or lack of restraints of any number of kids in the car.

I know they sell doggie restraints but my sherpherd would have no part in one of those and there are no laws requiring them. Heck, for routine shots I usually don't even take my random animals inside... I let the vet come out to the car to stick them. My animals, both domestic and occasionally rehab, aren't the most coroporative things on the planet. I'm just lucky I've found a sympathetic vet. I think next time I'll adopt a failed service animal. Even if it didn't make the cut to be a service animal at least it should have a little sense and training. (So far I've been adopting animals that don't make breed standards, e.g. my ball less bull dog, or have behavioural e.g. the shepherd, or health issues e.g. the python.)

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bettie Page Turner
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettie Page Turner   E-mail Bettie Page Turner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tribrats, is there a PTA/PTO at your school? Perhaps you could suggest that a police officer, EMT or other official come and give a refresher talk on kid car and bike safety. With summer play and vacation season, it would be timely, and it would give the school a good excuse to send education info home with all students.

There was a really bad 2-vehicle accident in our area recently, in which 5 people died. Two kids in the backseat of one of the vehicles survived relatively unscathed because they were buckled up. The car was toast. I really wish that parents who don't buckle up their kids could see the lesson in these stories.

--------------------
You fail to consider, for such is the tyranny of fashion, that the swan is not a slim animal... -Jincy Kornhauser, Melinda Falling

Posts: 1762 | From: Charleston, West Virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight, but good update- I talked to the school principal this morning. He says that where it is happening on school grounds, they should be involved as well. So instead of me calling the police or state, he wants me to give him the plate and car description when I can catch her and he will give it to the school D.A.R.E. officer (who is also the 2nd in command of our police).

I feel so sick to my stomach. This isn't like reporting a barking dog. This could have dire consequences on a whole family. But then again, so could the death of a child or an innocent bystander.

According to my bus driver friend, only the small busses require being equipped with seatbelts and then only preschool or special-ed busses are required to use them.

I don't know if there is a front seat law in the state but my police officer friend (the D.A.R.E. officer) says 90 pounds for the front seat. I only know this because I drive his cousin's son to and from school and because of his size it is hard for him to get in the way back of the van (He is a very tall (almost as tall as me) and big 10). He is well over 90 lbs. He also can't sit in the middle seats because of the car seat. Not enough room for him. So weight and height-wise, he is big enough to sit in the front.

ETA: Bettie, we have a D.A.R.E. officer that works at the school as part of his duties (And a really hot D.A.R.E. car but that's another story). They are always having safety presentations through the year but it wouldn't hurt to mention this idea.

--------------------

Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was 3 or so years old, we lived by the naval base. Mom was doing errands and had to drop off dad's lunch, so onto the base we went. It had been a particularly trying morning, with trying to get my brother and I out of the house and trying to get us around and behaved.

As we drive onto the base, I ask what the "men with guns" were checking for. My mom wearily responded "They want to make sure you have your seatbelt on."

[Eek!]

I've worn my seatbelt ever since. I'm trying to figure out if I can convince my hubby to take the kids through a local plant when they're older for the same effect. [Smile]

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom is one of five kids, and once when she was young her mom had her and her brothers and sisters in the car, i forget where they were going, but Jerome ( don't remember how old he was at the time ) opened the back door and actually fell out of the car. My grandma didn't even notice. So Jerome had to pick himself up and chase after the car. Luckily another car on the road saw what happened and flagged my grandma down. Lucky for him they weren't going too fast when he fell out, so he wasn't that injured.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time my DD asked me, "Why do I need to be buckled in my car seat?", I told her that the policeman would come arrest us and take us to jail. Now, everytime my kids climb in the car, they automatically tell me, without hesitation, "Daddy, come and buckle me in. I don't want the policeman to take us to jail".

Remark "Hey, whatever works, you know?" gullabull

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitten in the rain
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitten in the rain     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkey:

This is the coolest idea ever! Most people see working food service as such a crummy job, they'd never think of Using Their Powers For Good this way. I think it's great!

I grew up in the 80s, and I remember always wearing a seatbelt. In fact, I have a vivid memory of once taking it off because I thought climbing around in the car while it was moving would be fun and having my father pull off the road and give me a long, intense lecture about the importance of seatbelts. I didn't understand what the big deal was at the time, but dad pulling off the road = you did something REALLY REALLY bad, so I didn't argue, and I never took it off again [Wink]

Posts: 533 | From: Davis, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Girl:
That just amazes me, that people would disregard the lives of their children so much. I don't think it happens so much down here, probably because we have mandatory seat belt laws for everyone, not just children. Hell, a friend of mine got a ticket just after he pulled out of his driveway because he wasn't wearing a seat belt! He had been one of those people that thought "It's just around the corner/down the block/to the corner shops". Not anymore. [Big Grin]

Every state but New Hampshire in the US has mandatory seat belt laws for children AND adults. They do these big "Click It or Ticket" campaigns where the officers go out in force and mass-ticket adults who aren't buckled.

Some states go farther than others. In CA one must have a booster seat or car seat for any child under 8 and they MAY NOT ride in front until age 16, in TX it's under 5 but a child may be unbuckled if the car doesn't have enough belts for everyone. [Roll Eyes]
State-by-State summary with links to more details for each state.

--------------------
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

quote:
Originally posted by Algae:
As we drive onto the base, I ask what the "men with guns" were checking for. My mom wearily responded "They want to make sure you have your seatbelt on."

[Eek!]

I've worn my seatbelt ever since. I'm trying to figure out if I can convince my hubby to take the kids through a local plant when they're older for the same effect. [Smile]

This is similar to an idea I saw in a parenting book about how to teach your kids about car safety. He suggested finding the site of some roadkill, pointing it out to your kids and saying, "that's what happens when you run out into the street without looking!"
[Eek!]
Sounds harsh, but it's also true. I did that with Starlet and now she is always pointing out the squirrel who should have looked both ways and the kids playing unsafely in the road.

--------------------
MyBandwagon

quiltsbypam
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for quiltsbypam   E-mail quiltsbypam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Remarkgullabull:
The first time my DD asked me, "Why do I need to be buckled in my car seat?", I told her that the policeman would come arrest us and take us to jail. Now, everytime my kids climb in the car, they automatically tell me, without hesitation, "Daddy, come and buckle me in. I don't want the policeman to take us to jail".

I'm really, really glad your kids buckle in every time, and think of it themselves. You might want to consider a different lever, though. If they're ever lost, you'd want them to ask a cop for help, rather than fear the uniform. I'm not critizing you; truly, I'm not. But that does teach a child to fear the police. That could come back to bite you later.

quiltsby "whose brother is a cop" pam

--------------------
"No Biblical hell could ever be worse than the state of perpetual inconsequence." Beatrice in Dangerous Beauty

Posts: 1816 | From: Cayuga County, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread reminds me of two stories:

First, when my older sister was in preschool (early 80's), my mom would drive her and this other kid to the school together. They were BOTH SITTING IN THE FRONT SEAT one day, and as my mom turned the corner, one of them was hanging onto the door handle...and the door opened! I think they happened to be sharing the seatbelt, and neither of them were hurt, but MY GOD! When I think about it now....and the potential for what could have happened!!!! Yikes.

Second, a friend of mine was telling me about this guy she saw in the Kroger parking lot..he came out, got into the car next to her, and sat his 1/5-2 year old in the front seat. With no car seat. Or seat belt. Or anything!!!! That's just about the scariest thing ever!

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Remarkgullabull

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quiltsbypam:
quote:
Originally posted by Remarkgullabull:

I'm really, really glad your kids buckle in every time, and think of it themselves. You might want to consider a different lever, though. If they're ever lost, you'd want them to ask a cop for help, rather than fear the uniform. I'm not critizing you; truly, I'm not. But that does teach a child to fear the police. That could come back to bite you later.

quiltsby "whose brother is a cop" pam

I understand completely what you are saying about fearing policemen. My DD does know the difference. She knows that if she is NOT buckled in, she'll "go to jail". [Wink] I am trying to make her understand that it is her actions that will bring repercussions. She understands that if she doesn't behave, the police will take her to the equivalent of a "time out". Other than that, she understands that the police are her friends. I have also instilled in her that she can always ask the police for help because that's what they do. [Smile]

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
simply

Icon 1 posted      Profile for simply     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wonder if the kids are really hers? Or if she's babysitting? One of my sisters in law had a friend call her up all upset--because the friend had just seen my niece (under 2)...crawling around the backseat of her babysitters car, no carseat in sight..going 60 mph down the highway. (They got a new daycare provider after that...).

Regarding school buses, I know that my sons bus doesn't have them. I'm not even sure what the law is, is it in a restraint until age 6 (in Virginia), I know it recently went up, I'm just never sure what it is. Whatever it is, my older ds (who will be 6 in a couple of months), will be in his booster until he can properly fit into the adult seat belts, regardless of the law.

I don't know that I've ever reported a stranger, but I've given my sisters in law hell over carseats and seat belts for my neices and nephews. (They all think I'm nuts).

My older ds has never not been in a carseat or a booster, and he knows that it's there for his safety. (As much as a little kid can understand that he could be hurt VERY badly or worse if he doesn't use the booster etc..). (Er, the baby also hasn't ever not been in a seat, but at 12.5 months, I don't think it actually has come up why he's in the seat. lol)

--------------------
simply

Posts: 151 | From: Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Simply, according to the principal, they are hers. He recognised the car and said he saw it this morning before I got there and knew who it was but he didn't notice if they were buckled or not (He is the door greeter in the mornings). (I didn't know what kind it was so I took a pic with my digital camera and showed it to him). I saw them this afternoon and gave the principal the information. He will give it to the D.A.R.E. officer tomorrow (he was already gone).

I don't know if almost hitting someone or me yelling or both had any impact on her but for the first time that I saw, they looked buckled! At least they weren't jumping around.

NH used to have a mandatory seat belt law but a bunch of people protested it quoting our moto "Live free or die". Guess they prefered to live free of a seatbelt and die.

We taught our kids a little chant as we buckled "Buckle up for safety" and would say it in a sing-songy way as we buckled them in. They got so by the time they could talk they would pitch a fit when Daddy didn't buckle.

Nobody rides in my car without being buckled. No exceptions.

--------------------

Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was about 7, my dad encouraged, but did not force me to wear my seatbelt (this was '78). One day, he was in a hurry coming through a turn and the door openned and out I came, scaring the living hell out of the two little college girls who nearly ran me over, not to mention me. While I didn't wear my belt the mile home that day (I was too firmly latched to my dad's side at the moment), I wore one almost religiosly afterwards.

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question about those places that have or want to have the law be 8 yrs and 80 lbs. I wasn't more than 80 lbs until I was probably 13 or 14. Do people really expect teenagers to sit in a booster seat?! I already suffered enough ridicule at that age for being so short and looking so young. I would never, and I mean never have gone on a car ride again if the law said I had to be in a booster.
Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jmcomeau

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcomeau     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HelloLlama:
I have a question about those places that have or want to have the law be 8 yrs and 80 lbs. I wasn't more than 80 lbs until I was probably 13 or 14. Do people really expect teenagers to sit in a booster seat?! I already suffered enough ridicule at that age for being so short and looking so young. I would never, and I mean never have gone on a car ride again if the law said I had to be in a booster.

I always thought that the law was 8 yrs or 80 lbs, whichever came first? My BIL was 80 lbs, and no longer fit in a carseat at a much younger age than 8. Of course, he was much taller than your average 8 yr old, as well.

I agree, though, that most teens would rebel against a carseat. I would have as well, and I'm safety-conscious to the point of obsesion.

JM - seatbelts, check, go - C

--------------------
Is it always this cold? Hell is so much warmer.

Posts: 166 | From: Fort Collins, CO | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HelloLlama:

In Wisconsin you're clear once you reach 8 years old.

You're also clear if you reach the height/weight requirement before age 8.

Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HelloLlama
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HelloLlama     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just confused. I always thought it was 8 yrs or 80lbs as well, but on the website Starla posted is said 8 yrs and 80 lbs under the map. I couldn't actually find any state laws that said that, though.

Edited to fix a stupid typo

Posts: 498 | From: Ypsilanti, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages