snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » War, What Is It Good For? » Saddam to be hanged by Sunday (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Saddam to be hanged by Sunday
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Story here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16384738/?GT1=8816

To be a real devil's advocate: Saddam kind of kept everything in order and without him, there's civil war. I agree with Matt Cale of Ruthless reviews that democracy doesn't necessairly work with Iraq. But I dunno

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Not_Done_Living
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not_Done_Living     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Democracy has to be the choice of the people.. isn't forced democracy kinda... dictatorial?
Posts: 62 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eh.. I still wish Colin Powell could've talked Bush into listening to the U.N., but since we got stuck in Iraq, we could've handled it far better than knocking down saddam's statue and immedeately having a voting day in Iraq. We should've eased into it and perhaps installed an authoritarian leader to keep things in line temporarily.

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually think we might have been able to finesse things so that Saddam would have become "our son-of-a-bitch" again, after the 9/11 attacks. But while that might have served our interest better in the short run, it still wouldn't have made it the right thing to do.

I don't think we should have invaded Iraq, and given that we have, I think we've managed the occupation extremely poorly, to the point where the country now has very little hope for stability or prosperity, let alone freedom or real democracy, any time soon.

But that doesn't mean I will shed any tears for Saddam, or that I wouldn't pull the rope if called upon to do so.

--E.Q. Taft

"...it's been six weeks since Saddam Hussein was trampled by a pack of wild boars, and the world is still glad to be rid of him."

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But that doesn't mean I will shed any tears for Saddam, or that I wouldn't pull the rope if called upon to do so.
Then you are no better than him.

This is not, in any meaning of the word, justice. A kangaroo court and bloody vengeance, that's what it is. A show trial, neat PR, a circus...but not justice.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sly Dog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sly Dog   E-mail Sly Dog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bug Muldoon:
quote:

This is not, in any meaning of the word, justice. A kangaroo court and bloody vengeance, that's what it is. A show trial, neat PR, a circus...but not justice.

And in your opinion, justice would have been what?
Saddam ordered the killing of thousands of Kurds. Would any trial outcome other than "guilty" have been justice? So unless you believe that he is innocent I fail to see the reason for your reaction.

--------------------
Gruntled Postal Employee

Posts: 15 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sly Dog:
Would any trial outcome other than "guilty" have been justice? So unless you believe that he is innocent I fail to see the reason for your reaction.

Not to speak for Bug, but I think that any court where "guilty" was never in doubt can hardly be called justice.

Something justice being blind and all that.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sly Dog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sly Dog   E-mail Sly Dog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Canuckistan:
quote:
Would any trial outcome other than "guilty" have been justice? So unless you believe that he is innocent I fail to see the reason for your reaction.

Not to speak for Bug, but I think that any court where "guilty" was never in doubt can hardly be called justice.

Something justice being blind and all that.

OK, so the objection has less to do with whether he is guilty or not and more to do with whether the court would have made a different finding under any circumstances?

I don't think ANY court would have come back with a different verdict...well, srike "ANY" maybe because courts often let the obviously guilty go free due to technicalities

--------------------
Gruntled Postal Employee

Posts: 15 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Myshkin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myshkin     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I understand Bug's point, not that there was much chance of a truly blind system failing to convict him given the overwhelming evidence against him.

Perhaps the trial should have occurred in a neutral country, or in the world court. I don't know enough about Iraqi law to say whether this would even be possible.

We may not like it, but it is their law and their judicial system that is in play here. Or perhaps a well-respected arbiter ( I don't know whom, Red Cross maybe?) could have been given a real-time review and input role. I'm enough of a moral relativist to feel that it might be sanctimonious for non-Iraqis to condemn the trial as unjust.

Posts: 741 | From: Big Bend, Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Joe
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cowboy Joe   E-mail Cowboy Joe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is entirely obvious that he is guilty. Our intelligence, which is second to none, proved that he did all the things he was accused of. All of the good nations in the world, and many Democrats believe this. In fact, we had reports from British intelligence that he . . .

Oh Crap! We've done it again!

--------------------
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Posts: 382 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK, so the objection has less to do with whether he is guilty or not and more to do with whether the court would have made a different finding under any circumstances?

I don't think ANY court would have come back with a different verdict...

Irrelevant. The fact remains that this wasn't a fair trial to begin with. It was a show trial.

Whether he was guilty or not doesn't matter. All this trial will do is stir up his followers.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And in your opinion, justice would have been what?
An impartial trial before the ICC, not a mock trial with judges who lost relatives to Saddam and the murder of his legal team.

quote:
If you know the outcome in advance, your 'court' isn't worthy of the name.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the people who has complained about how the trial was conducted. It's not right to try to bring justice to a nation by staging mock trials.

I also find capital punishment anachronistic and barbaric. The goal of any criminal punishment should always be rehabilitation, even of a major bad guy like Saddam.

We also have the issue of hanging. As far as I understand it, his rank entitles him to death by firing squad, and that should be respected. Not respected because of Saddam, but out of respect for the law.

The trial should have been held in a neutral country, anything else will be a mock trial that will just make him an icon to his followers.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
followsthewolf
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for followsthewolf   E-mail followsthewolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Justice, social or otherwise

Is much like a disease, social or otherwise.

Striking by accident

Contracted by those who screw

around with it.

Posts: 117 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amnesty International joins in the criticism of the trial and sentence:

http://web.amnesty.org/pages/irq-281206-statement-eng

quote:
"The trial of Saddam Hussein and his seven co-accused before the Supreme Iraqi Criminal Tribunal (SICT) was deeply flawed and unfair, due to political interference which undermined the independence of the court and other serious failings," sad Malcolm Smart, Director of Amnesty International's Middle East and North Africa programme. "The Appeals Court should have addressed these deficiencies and ordered a fair re-trial, not simply confirmed the sentences as if all was satisfactory at the trial stage."

"It was absolutely right that Saddam Hussein should be held to account for the massive violations of human rights committed by his regime, but justice requires a fair process and this, sadly, was far from that, "said Malcolm Smart."The trial should have been a landmark in the establishment of the rule of law in Iraq after the decades of Saddam Hussein's tyranny. It was an opportunity missed."

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Matt Cale on Saddam's sentence: "I shall mourn like a grandmother. He was Iraq's last, best hope." what can I say? the guy's a misanthrope who sadistically enjoys other people's suffering. Nevertheless, he's rather entertaining in a sad, pathetic way, but I digress

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
CNN is reporting that Saddam Hussein is to be hanged at 6:00am local time, 10pm EST.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Amnesty International joins in the criticism of the trial and sentence

Which is surprising, because they like totally support just about every other execution.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If ever there was a cliche that needed to go, than this is it.

I have the same problems with the trial as the rest of you, and, if it's possible to make Iraq worse than the war has already made it, I susupect the hanging of Hussein will do the trick.

But once we start comparing other posters to a genocidal dictator, it's possible we've stepped over a certain boundary. Hussein was a mass murderer, whether the trial was perfect or not. EQT has expressed an opinion on the death penalty that some of us, including me, aren't entirely comfortable with. Let's have a sense of proportion.

Posts: 1699 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

ASL:what do you mean?

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
well, srike "ANY" maybe because courts often let the obviously guilty go free due to technicalities

What a laughable, ignorant statement.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

quote:
I agree with the people who has complained about how the trial was conducted. It's not right to try to bring justice to a nation by staging mock trials.

I also find capital punishment anachronistic and barbaric. The goal of any criminal punishment should always be rehabilitation, even of a major bad guy like Saddam.

We also have the issue of hanging. As far as I understand it, his rank entitles him to death by firing squad, and that should be respected. Not respected because of Saddam, but out of respect for the law.

The trial should have been held in a neutral country, anything else will be a mock trial that will just make him an icon to his followers.

rehabilitation? what if it doesn't work on some criminals though? I don't know if everyone in Iraq would forgive Saddam if he was re-installed as dictator after spending time in Jail? I just wished they'd call this damned execution off and put him in prision.

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
rehabilitation? what if it doesn't work on some criminals though? I don't know if everyone in Iraq would forgive Saddam if he was re-installed as dictator after spending time in Jail? I just wished they'd call this damned execution off and put him in prision.
What if? What if an execution is botched and someone is tortured instead of killed? It doesn't really matter what if, IMO. The goal should be rehabilitation, although I had never even considered such a thing for a dictator like Saddam, because I just don't see it being plausible. Still, I agree that rehabilitation is the goal of conviction and imprisonment, and if it's not then we're just trying to make ourselves feel better.

Also, I doubt that anyone (outside of his supporters) wishes Saddam to be reinstalled as a dictator or any kind of person in power. Just because someone wants to do something other than kill him does not mean they want him to return to power.

I don't know how I feel about the Saddam case, personally. On the one hand, I want the Iraqi people to get to chose what happens to him, on the other, I am somewhat against capital punishment, in a philosophical sense. In practice it may be necessary at times. This might be one of those times, I just don't know.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well it's a moot point now, since his execution has just been confirmed.It remains tobe seen if he will be martyred by his supporters and strenghten their resolve, or whether this will close the chapter of his reign. I hope for the latter, but suspect the former.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Freshman:
quote:

rehabilitation? what if it doesn't work on some criminals though? I don't know if everyone in Iraq would forgive Saddam if he was re-installed as dictator after spending time in Jail?

Who was suggesting returning him to power?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Al Hurra TV says Saddam has been hanged

--------------------

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is breaking news on CNN.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

quote:
quote:

Let me just say that there's a difference between saying he got a fair trial, and saying that I'm reasonably well convinced he was guilty of horrible crimes and that I will not mourn his death.

My intellecutal reservations about the death pentalty (and the US intervention in Iraq) notwithstanding, I can nonetheless feel that this is a person who deserved, probably, a worse fate than the one he got, and that the world is better off without him.

--------------------

Freshman
We Three Blings

It's news on ABC too. Betcha the coverage will go on for days

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Snafu
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snafu     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It'd be laughable if it wasn't true.
Posts: 241 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Human Rights Watch points out flaws in the trial: http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2006/11/20/iraq14589.htm

more details here: http://hrw.org/reports/2006/iraq1106/5.htm#_Toc151270359

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Ma-humbug:
quote:
well, srike "ANY" maybe because courts often let the obviously guilty go free due to technicalities

Pogue

Well, you didn't finish this thought (actually, you barely started it), so I'll take it a little further.

I think what Pogue means is that if there are "technicalities" that you can get off on, then you're not "obviously guilty." Guilty doesn't mean whether you did it or didn't, it means that the state can prove you did it, within the constraints of what it's allowed to do.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amigone201:
quote:
quote:

Pogue

Well, you didn't finish this thought (actually, you barely started it), so I'll take it a little further.

I think what Pogue means is that if there are "technicalities" that you can get off on, then you're not "obviously guilty." Guilty doesn't mean whether you did it or didn't, it means that the state can prove you did it, within the constraints of what it's allowed to do.

That's beside the point. Technicalities should only be used to PUT people in jail.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fujicakes

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fujicakes   E-mail Fujicakes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASL:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pogue

That's beside the point. Technicalities should only be used to PUT people in jail.
So you're saying it shouldn't be used to save an innocent life (not inplying saddam, mind you) from death row?
Posts: 7 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
That_Todd_Guy
Miso Horny

Icon 1 posted      Profile for That_Todd_Guy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pogue

Actually, since Sly-Dog introduced the word "guilty" into the conversation, he should be allowed to define its meaning so as to not have his contribution taken out of context. It is obvious to me that he means "guilty" in the sense of whether or not the person committed the crime, not in the context of whether or not he was convicted by a court.

And if you revise his sentence to read "It is not unheard of for courts to let the true perpetrators of a crime go free due to technicalities" then would Pogue still consider the statement ignorant?

Posts: 33 | From: Fort Wayne, IN | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages