snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » War, What Is It Good For? » US death toll in Iraq now exceeds that of 9/11 attacks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: US death toll in Iraq now exceeds that of 9/11 attacks
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Newsday:

quote:
The U.S. military death toll in Iraq has reached 2,974, one more than the number of deaths in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the United States, according to an Associated Press count on Tuesday.
A sad milestone. A significant one? I'm not sure.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If Iraqi losses are counted, we passed that line a long, long time ago. I think they should be counted, as the attack on Iraq had no connection to the attack on the WTC, so it can't be said that the attack on Iraq was made in retalliation as the attack on Afghanistan was.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't matter how many Iraqis die though - it just doesn't. No matter how you or I may feel about that Troberg. Continuing to drag that into discussions of this nature cloud the most pressing issue. And for most ordinary Americans that is whether sending off their young men and women to die was actually something worth doing. It is not the ultimate death toll - it is that they these young Americans continue to die despite "mission accomplished" and will continue to die as long as troops remain in Iraq.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
It doesn't matter how many Iraqis die though - it just doesn't. No matter how you or I may feel about that Troberg. Continuing to drag that into discussions of this nature cloud the most pressing issue. And for most ordinary Americans that is whether sending off their young men and women to die was actually something worth doing. It is not the ultimate death toll - it is that they these young Americans continue to die despite "mission accomplished" and will continue to die as long as troops remain in Iraq.

So, if there were a solution that would kill a lot of Iraqis but stop American troops from dying, you would go for it?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think Christie means that Iraqi deaths don't matter to her, but rather that they don't matter to most Americans, and will not be a deciding factor for how the US government proceeds in Iraq. And I'm very much afraid she's right. [Frown]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:
quote:

So, if there were a solution that would kill a lot of Iraqis but stop American troops from dying, you would go for it?
Uh ok, sure, that's exactly what I meant [Confused] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
I don't think Christie means that Iraqi deaths don't matter to her, but rather that they don't matter to most Americans, and will not be a deciding factor for how the US government proceeds in Iraq. And I'm very much afraid she's right. [Frown]

Exactly Lainie. Thank you.

--------------------

Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Ahh, I'm sorry, I thought Christie was speaking for herself rather than most of America.

I don't think Christie's right though. Iraqi deaths do matter to most Americans. If they didn't, we would have nuked them already. Americans might put more importance on American lives than on Iraqi lives, but that's a far cry from saying that Iraqi lives don't matter

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Ahh, I'm sorry, I thought Christie was speaking for herself rather than most of America.
I thought the phrase "no matter how you and I feel about that" made it clear she wasn't speaking for herself. I don't think she was speaking for most of America, either; I think she was expressing her opinion of what many Americans think. Not the same thing at all, really.

quote:
I don't think Christie's right though. Iraqi deaths do matter to most Americans. If they didn't, we would have nuked them already.
I can think of a few other reasons why we might not nuke Iraq.

quote:
Americans might put more importance on American lives than on Iraqi lives, but that's a far cry from saying that Iraqi lives don't matter
Actually, Christie's original phrase was:

quote:
It doesn't matter how many Iraqis die
Not quite the same thing as "Iraqi lives don't matter," which is how I paraphrased it. Your take on it is, I agree, more accurate: most Americans consider Iraqi lives less valuable than American lives, rather than not caring about them at all.

It's still a safe bet, IMO, that the relative number of Iraqi deaths will be a minor factor, if it's a factor at all, in US government decision-making about Iraq.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
quote:

I don't think Christie's right though. Iraqi deaths do matter to most Americans. If they didn't, we would have nuked them already. Americans might put more importance on American lives than on Iraqi lives, but that's a far cry from saying that Iraqi lives don't matter

I would wonder if my post was lacking in clarity if Lainie didn't seem to understand exactly what I was saying.

--------------------

Mad Jay

quote:
quote:
quote:

I would wonder if my post was lacking in clarity if Lainie didn't seem to understand exactly what I was saying.
Yes, it's my fault. I presumed that you wouldn't want to speak on the behalf of most Americans. I was wrong. Sorry.

--------------------
Nico Sasha

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes. It's called "ending the war and withdrawing the troops."

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, it's my fault. I presumed that you wouldn't want to speak on the behalf of most Americans. I was wrong. Sorry.
Wow, are you mad at the world today or just me?

--------------------

Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just saw THIS TOPIC in a myspace bulletin (scroll down to 2nd picture)& alsoTHIS THREAD has a story metioned(see 3rd picture)...

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages