snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » War, What Is It Good For? » Christmas attack likely, Britain's home secretary warns

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Christmas attack likely, Britain's home secretary warns
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Britain's top security official is warning that it is highly likely militants will try to mount an attack in the country over the holiday season.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2006/12/10/britain-threat.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Half of me is saying, "Well, that makes sense."

The other half of me is saying, "Well, that is a good way to cover your butt in case something happens over the holidays."

With all the warnings that I've seen from the FBI, I just wonder if they haven't opened the dictionary and started issuing warnings...

"Al Quada may use explodey aardvarks."
"Al Quada may use home-made bombs."
"Al Quada may use feral cats."
repeated ad nauseum...

OR, some drunken FBI parties... I could see a bunch of folks sitting around with drinks, "No, I've got one! Wait, wait... Chemical drops from HANG GLIDERS!!! HAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gopher
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopher   E-mail gopher   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Britain's top security official is warning that it is highly likely militants will try to mount an attack in the country over the holiday season.

I think the key word is try. However I have tremendous faith in the british security forces (Military/SIS/Police/GCHQ) and their ability to prevent terrorist attacks.
Posts: 130 | From: Kingdom of Northumbria | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gopher, the problem is that the security forces need to be successful 100% of the time to be considered successful.

The bad guys only need to be successful once to be considered successful.

I don't care for that kind of pressure.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ConstableDorfl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConstableDorfl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gopher:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

I think the key word is try. However I have tremendous faith in the british security forces (Military/SIS/Police/GCHQ) and their ability to prevent terrorist attacks.
Yeah, they'll shoot another Brazilian electrician and all will be well. [fish]

--------------------
"Ignore the shooty dog thing"

Posts: 49 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages