snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » War, What Is It Good For? » First Reuters, now AP staging photos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Reuters, now AP staging photos
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Spc. Sharki   E-mail Spc. Sharki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
AP pulls staged photo First Reuters get caught staging and faking photos, now the AP has been busted. Being a reporter myself, I was against blogs for a long time. But with mounting evidence that the MSM is not doing its job when it comes to the current conflict, I have become a convert to the blog.

--------------------
Let your TV bleed- Tom Petty

Posts: 329 | From: Wiesbaden, Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why you need to make a second thread on the same subject with an even more inflammatory title. The Reuters affair had little to do with Reuters themselves, who immediately removed the photo and dealt with the freelancer who supplied it; the double picture shown in the blog can just as easily be an honest mistake. They do happen, you know.

quote:
But with mounting evidence that the MSM is not doing its job when it comes to the current conflict, I have become a convert to the blog.
Excuse me? You're willing to trade actual, verified news by respectable sources for kids sitting in a basement on the other end of the world who write conspiracy theories with one hand and complain about the "mainstream media" (whatever that's supposed to be) is too much for and/or against Isreal/America/France/peanuts/...?

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Do AP and Reuters actually send trained reporters and photographers over from the US or do they just hire stringers? I know that a lot of individual news agencies don't have nearly as many foreign correspondents as they used to. Even if they do put their own guys in there (and I'm almost positive that AP does things on a freelance basis, the cheapest of all possible ways), the paucity of different reporters and different news groups competing against each other makes stuff like this a lot easier to pull off. If everybody had someone in Lebanon right now, photographers would be too scared of swift and near-definite retribution to even try something like this.

Also, what's up with being "against blogs" or the MSM? That's like being against Thursday. Blogs are just another resource to gain perspective on an issue. In many ways their hopeless bias is a hindrance to the truth, but in others their lack of pretension (and nothing is more pretentious than to pretend that your viewpoint is the objective one) can get you closer. This teenager-type flat acceptance/rejection attitude will only get you (the editorial you; I'm speaking to anyone with this demeanor) into trouble in the Information Age.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dieter Meyer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dieter Meyer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recommend reading through your own thread on a similar subject - Steve Eisenberg already posted this there.

Also, I suggest getting better at seeing the nuances. Saying "Reuters get caught staging and faking photos" is like saying that the U.S. Army got caught raping and killing a teenager when the culprits were soldiers.

--------------------
"Soyons désinvoltes; n'ayons l'air de rien" - Noir Désir

Posts: 255 | From: Norvegr | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Spc. Sharki: This was discussed in the other thread. Neither Reuters nor the AP altered or staged anything. If indeed you are a reporter, your apparent tendency to misrepresent, mislead, overstate, and sensationalize is disturbing. I also wonder what you consider to be a reliable source.

Reuters unwittingly distributed photos which were altered. Both Reuters and the AP may have distributed photos which were staged or posed. Reuters fired the photograher and deleted all the images he took from their files.

Your assertion that Reuters and the AP staged or altered anything is blatently incorrect. Whatever happened was the work of the photographer(s) involved. Reuters and AP are, at worse, guilty of not better screening the thousands of photos they recieve every day, many of them from free lancers like Hajj.

There maybe some reason to believe that Hajj works under more than one name.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just in terms of AP: why would it be so hard to believe that her home had been hit twice?

It may or may not be likely, but it most certainly could happen, given that Israel has launched hundreds of attacks.

Also, from your own link: the first photo was supplied by Reuters. The second was from AP. Why on earth would AP keep a log of who Reuters photographed?

I think either this woman is really unlucky, or she lied to two different photographers working for two different news agencies.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Was the building (or buildings) in the pictures not really destroyed, then? I guess the owners were pleased about the destruction rather than upset?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages