snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » War, What Is It Good For? » What the 'War on Terror' is all about. . . .

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What the 'War on Terror' is all about. . . .
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
according to Cal Thomas.

I'm not sure if I agree with him, but he does make some points.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatYoung   E-mail PatYoung   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So now its going to be a "long war" to change "their" way of life? We can't even get the electricity to work in Bhagdad, but I'm supposed to believe we can change the ethos of 1 billion people. Try a little humility next time Cal.

--------------------
pat "Megadittoes Rush" young

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Posts: 5442 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I understand, (I haven't been able to find the actual cartoon anywhere online) the cartoon in question depicts Mohammed with a turban shaped like a bomb. The implication, apparently, is that much of the world (at least the Western world), views Islam as a religion with support of terrorism at its base. To respond to a cartoon that implies your way of life is violent and terrorist-friendly with riots, violence and threat of terrorism really is not supportive of refuting that perception, is it? Having looked into it, I believe that Islam is NOT an inherently violent belief system. I believe that the majority of the world's Muslims simply wish to lead their lives and worship as they see fit. I think it a tragedy for the entire world, for religion as a whole, and for Islam as a major world religion that a radical element of the Muslim world has taken over the worldwide face of a major religion. It saddens me. I've long said that blaming all of Islam for the actions of terrorists is rather like blaming all of Christianity for the actions of the KKK. That said, if one feels insulted by such a depiction of Mohammed, wouldn't peacful protest and calm discussion of one's opposing viewpoint better serve the purpose of refuting this image be more effective than burning the nearest embassy?

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mohammed Image Archive, "Mohammed Cartoons" near bottom.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's another column on the same theme.

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He actually makes several compelling and absolutely correct points.

Bottom line, this fracas with the Mohammed cartoons has illustrated plainly, for the world to see, that there are some currently unreconcilable cultural differences at play here. I would disagree that the primary culprit of intolerance is Islamic culture; I would say to be more accurate, it is Arab-Islamic culture. That being said, we are once again confronted with evidence that two very different civilizations are having a clash not merely of arms, but of values and philosophies... and it is a conflict that won't be won by force of arms. Indeed, it's safe to say it can't be 'won' or 'lost' at all. Arab-Islamic culture is going through a certain phase in its historical development-- a phase that all major religions have gone through; it's merely their turn. We probably won't see the end of it in our lifetime, but the tide of history shows that progress, development, and secularization or inevitable... someday. In the meantime, however we have a bit of a fight on our hands. (Meaning 'fight' in a general sense, not merely a 'kinetic' sense.)

This does not mean that we cannot have positive influence on, and coincide with, the Arab nations... as a matter of principle, there's no reason we can't live and let live--provided they are willing to do the same. As a practical matter, however, as long as we are as deeply involved in that region as we are (ie: as long we we buy oil,) we're going to have problems like this... and I don't feel the slightest bit ethnocentric, racist, or narrow-minded in saying that while Western culture is far from perfect, there's definitely some lessons on tolerance, freedom, and minority rights that the Arab world could desperately stand to learn from us.

quote:
Occasionally moral clarity comes with something quite simple, like political cartoons. These riots impress upon us an objective truth: The "clash of civilizations" is more than a conflict between peoples; it is between the 21st and the 7th centuries; between a God who has "commissioned" his followers to exact judgment on the world, according to their narrow interpretation, and a God who offers man grace, along with the freedom to choose or reject it, reserving judgment for Himself on another day.
This is the one section of the article I have a serious problem with-- the holier-than-thou moral high horse that so many Christians ride on, when comparing their faith to Islam.

Is Islam throughout the world going through a violent, regressive, opressive phase in its history and development? Damn straight it is... anyone who says otherwise needs to take the rosy-colored glasses off.

HOWEVER, does Judeo-Christianity have any room whatsoever to stand on a soapboix and point its finger? Absolutely not... one doesn't have to look too far back in the history book to find Judeo-Christianity playing the same game with the same violent, repressive results.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No One expects the Spanish Inquisition!

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages