snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » War, What Is It Good For? » 2007 Defense Budget includes smallest annual military pay increase in 13 years

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2007 Defense Budget includes smallest annual military pay increase in 13 years
Greg of Winter
Xboxing Day

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Greg of Winter   E-mail Greg of Winter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1516857.php

I think a letter to my senator is in order.

The smallest pay raise for troops in more than a decade and billions of dollars for expensive weapons programs highlight the proposed 2007 defense budget unveiled Monday by the Bush administration.

At least somebody is getting rich. [Mad]

--------------------
Meanwhile, at stately Wayne Manor...

Posts: 1316 | From: Oregon | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well since a good portion of them are not in the U.S. to complain I guess he thinks he can get away with it.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm... maybe I could serve my country better at Halliburton.... Y'know, it really torques my shorts that this administration proposes to give us a smaller pay raise while sending so many of us to war. But hey, we're already engaged in strange behavior like downsizing our military while actively engaged in two wars. I don't get it, folks.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I was in the military, I got larger pay raises when Clinton was in office than I did when Bush 41 was in office. When I was out of the military, my GI bill benefits more than doubled under Clinton budgets, and almost kept up with the cost of living under Bush 43.

While I am not saying there is necessarily a cause and effect relationship going on here, I am saying that the coincidence is fascinating indeed.

Beware the military industrial complex!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What a coinkeedink... I am eligible to retire in 2007...

And I have to echo Deansinger... I don't get it either.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We've been doing more with less for so long now that soon, we will be required to do everything with nothing.

--------------------

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Coast Guard has been using that motto for decades!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So much for that whole "support the troops" stuff.. I guess this administration (in general) is akin to the person who puts the stickers all over their car and house but dosn't actually contribute anything tangible..

Perk up though, I'm sure he prays for ya.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one in the military happy with my pay? I guess it's because I'm young, dumb, and single.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ASL
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASL   E-mail ASL   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Am I the only one in the military happy with my pay? I guess it's because I'm young, dumb, and single.

--------------------
"Dear Lord, please protect this rockethouse and all who dwell within..."

Posts: 1093 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I have no complaints either. My pay is quite satisfactory.

However, a married-with-two-kids LCpl probably can't say the same thing... and I still believe its criminal how little we pay our junior enlisted.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deansinger
Deck the Malls

To tell the truth, most of what I do is Waiting for Stuff. For the amount of real work I do.. the pay is fantastic. Mind you, I would always like more. The reason the military tends to vote Republican is that, historically, the Republicans have been better about paying us more. This may change the dynamics fo political arguments between DW and me. My own politics lie ever so slightly to the liberal side of center (Other career military types tend to regard this as if I said I was an avowed Maoist), and my wife generally goes with the Republicans. We'll see how it goes next time the subject comes up.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages