snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » War, What Is It Good For? » Documents show Osama bin Laden lived in Iraq at Saddam's invitation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Documents show Osama bin Laden lived in Iraq at Saddam's invitation
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've uncovered reports documenting a close association between Iraq and al-Qaeda. This proves that Iraq was a state sponsor of anti-American terrorism, and fostered the establishment of al-Qaeda in its early years. This is big.

Apparently after the anti-Soviet jihad, a powerful Iraqi leader urged Osama to transplant his entire organization into Iraq.

Iraq had established "a regional umbrella for political Islamist militants," and desired to let Bin Ladin use Iraq as a base for worldwide business operations and for preparations for jihad. In Iraq, bin Laden established an "Islamic Army Shura" that was to serve as the coordinating body for the consortium of terrorist groups with which he was forging alliances.

Furthermore, Iraq had an ongoing slaughter that George W. Bush publicly identified as genocide, so the continued and constant focus on Iraq is entirely justified. With connections and issues as obvious as this, it's no wonder why there's such a strong focus of attention on Iraq's connections to terror. Iraq had remained the most active state sponsor of terrorism for about a decade or more.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Viliphied
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viliphied   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And these documents are where? So far all I see in this post is hearsay and conjecture.

--------------------
"I used to think I was a little unstable, then I met every girl I've ever dated." -- Mike Birbiglia

Posts: 131 | From: San Luis Obispo, CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, just being there does not necessarily mean that the reasons were terrorism. bin Laden is also a business man, owning many properties around the world through his company, including a bunch of hotels. Such things require a certain amount of attention and most nations are eager to get wealthy investors. As far as I can see, this is before bin Laden became a controversial person, in fact, at that time (or at least through the Soviet-Afghan conflict) he was considered an ally to USA.

I've even stayed at one of hotels, also long before the WTC incident. It was a very nice hotel, although it's gone now to make way for a bigger hotel.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is a wants-to-be-humorous take on this thread.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sort of. Replace "Iraq" with "Sudan" everywhere except the last sentence and it's all true. Bin Laden based al-Qaeda there for years at Hassan al-Turabi's invitation. (the last sentence should say "Iran has remained the most active state sponsor of terrorism...") The point is that people are obsessed with connecting Iraq to al-Qaeda to the point that the actual nature, history, and allies of al-Qaeda are ignored or forgotten. If these things were true of Iraq, we'd have invaded in 2001. The actual largest supporter of terrorism has not only gotten away scott-free, the U.S. has removed its biggest enemy in the region. One of al-Qaeda's oldest allies has been ignored, despite the awful present human rights situation there. You know?

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Steve Eisenberg
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Eisenberg   E-mail Steve Eisenberg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
bin Laden is also a business man, owning many properties around the world through his company, including a bunch of hotels.

Please let me know which ones so I don't accidentally stay there [fish]

--------------------
"Hillel says yes, naturally, and Shammai says no, and Maimonides is perplexed, and what do I know?"
Julius Lester

Posts: 5780 | From: Suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect most of them has either been confiscated by now or transfered to the relative he has put in charge of the company, so there is little risk of staying at one of his places now.

Still, his company has been responsible for many large construction projects for other companies. I've heard (but have no proof at all) that some Mövenpick hotels were built by his company. Still, most of this goes back to before he was a controversial figure (except, of course in the Soviet union, who were the target of his terror actions at the time).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winged Monkey
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winged Monkey         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've uncovered documents that seem to indicate an alienated Indian billionaire has created a giant submarine and underwater city and intends to ruthlessly attack the navies of the first world...

I've uncovered documents that show Mars is inhabited by a race of scientifically advanced superbeings, hell-bent on earth destruction, but thankfully not immune to our deadly earth viruses...

Bahh.

-Winged Monkey

Posts: 536 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Winged Monkey, how did you get my documents, you bastard?

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Friends of Alfred
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Friends of Alfred   E-mail Friends of Alfred   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bin Laden construction continues to be one of the biggest construction companies in the Middle East. Take a drive around Dubai or Abu Dhabi and you'll see the name on the building sites. Osama was disowned by the family years ago if I remember correctly, and the Bin Laden family is actually wuite well respected in the Arab community. (Or at least it was when I lived there, and I was still there post 911)

--------------------
There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Posts: 735 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Troberg, you have it the wrong way around: Osama bin Laden was never the owner of the Bin Laden group - he would have been one amongst many heirs, but having been disowned by his family as a consequence of 9/11 will have spoiled his chances there. Probably being dead must also count against him.

You might as well talk of Paris Hilton's shadowy network of hotels.

Friends of Alfred has already explained the nature of the Bin Laden family.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ben Who
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ben Who   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ben Who   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"I've uncovered documents..."? You make it sound like you're doing your own investigation independent of the United States, the UN, and the world media.

I love that opening phrase for some reason. "I've uncovered documents." Yes, that's right, I have. Me, a semi-anonymous poster on a forum devoted to debunking preposterous notions, has done what no one else in the world has done: uncovered documents that not only conclusively draw an association between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda, but show a pattern of conspiracy going back decades that was somehow missed by everyone else in the entire world. What, you don't believe me? Then you're on the side of the terrorists.

Been there, done that, bought the original cast album.

Love, Who?

Posts: 404 | From: Portland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've uncovered documents which reveal that, following the Christmas period, there's a lot less money in my bank account than I'd like.

Well, I say uncovered. I suppose I mean 'opened.'

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squoval
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Squoval   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squoval   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've uncovered a document that says that I must stay at least 50 feet away from that woman down the street, and by "uncovered", I mean "received".

--------------------
I can't believe it's not Square!

Posts: 3147 | From: W-S, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be missing something, but where is the link to the uncovered documents?

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
Osama was disowned by the family years ago if I remember correctly
OK, my mistake, I had the impression this was more recently and was made on Osamas initiative as a way to protect his company from his political agenda.

I just lived at the hotel, I didn't talk to the guy.

--------------------
/Troberg

Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:

I'm afraid you are missing something. This is all a satirical reference to the "Iraq was training terrorists after all" thread, which relies on similarly specious information.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

OK I've read through the original thread and I see what's going on now. Duh!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages