snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Dora Aquapet; Naughty, Nice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dora Aquapet; Naughty, Nice?
Delia Darrow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 09 posted      Profile for Delia Darrow   E-mail Delia Darrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a "toy" that looks somewhat like this.. it takes batteries, too!

Dora the Explorer Aquapet

--------------------
Cogito, ergo Dei non est.

Posts: 70 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's really incredible. What the Hell was the designer thinking ?... and the guy(s) who approved of the design (including the pink colour) ? When you consider how many work hours, planning and checking it takes to produce such a toy, how comes (no pun intended) that no one at the factory ever said : "Hey, look, the new Dora toy looks like a giant dick" ??? And what does the instructions say ? "Squeeze the balls and see Dora swim" ?

My advice to toy collectors : grab it (no pun intended) while you can. It won't stay on the market for very long, and the chances are great that it makes it to "cult" status.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delia Darrow
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delia Darrow   E-mail Delia Darrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I have no idea how a toy like this passed the design stage. There's another one too, "Dora's friend Boots". This one is on Ebay, and, you'll take note, 'Boots' balls are blue. Scroll down thru the description/instructions. Read gems like this;

quote:
Give you friend love
Give your friend love by pressing the right button.
Give lots of love! You can tell s/he likes that!

and this:

quote:
Your friend gets lonely!
When left alone for a while, your friend will call out for attention.

Yes, when I leave my 'friend' alone for too long, s/he does get lonely!

OMG, how I wish I were just a tiny bit more evil. I still have the fundie relative's kids to buy for this holiday. Sometimes it sucks being a responsible adult.

--------------------
Cogito, ergo Dei non est.

Posts: 70 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spamamander in a pear tree
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spamamander in a pear tree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh.... my. I need one of each now just because of the pure stupidity. Bound to be a cult classic.

--------------------
"There is a race between mankind and the universe. Mankind is trying to build bigger, better, faster, and more foolproof machines. The universe is trying to build bigger, better, and faster fools. So far the universe is winning." -Albert Einstein

Posts: 1058 | From: Yakima, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend has several different kinds of those and last time I saw the kids playing with them I had to do a double take.

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think adults have more active imaginations than children.

~Psihala

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's cute, though. I'd get one for my little girl. I don't think it's overly dildoesque...

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pob14
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pob14     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All Aquapets look like dicks. Apparently they're rather popular. Aquapets, not dicks. Although . . .

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 576 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Syllavus
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Syllavus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The worms-eye viewpoint exaggerates the phallicness of the toy. Seeing these in person in Toys R' Us it never occurred to me or my husband that they were shaped naughtily. We thought they were cute. [Embarrassed]

Syl "One-eyed Worms-eye-view!" lavus

--------------------
"That would be really dangerous, you know. Indiscriminately extricating someone from the petrified corpse of a supernatural creature." - My Husband

Posts: 4308 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been seeing Aquapets for quite some time and thought they were cute, too. Never crossed my mind that they looked risque. I'll never look at them the same.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't help but think those comments on the eBay auction page were intentional.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had something similar when I was a kid (Soviet Union, 1980s). It had a little blue hippo sitting in a chair and by pushing a single yellow button on the red base, you could make him swallow littl colorful balls. After all the balls were eaten, you'd turn him upside down and get the balls back out, and start over.
I like this one better though [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RubyMoon
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RubyMoon   E-mail RubyMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:
how comes (no pun intended) that no one at the factory ever said : "Hey, look, the new Dora toy looks like a giant dick" ???

Maybe because no one at the factory is dirty minded enough to think everything has to do with sex.
Posts: 280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages