snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Kindergarten girls sexually assaulted by classmate (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kindergarten girls sexually assaulted by classmate
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Two parents have filed a lawsuit alleging school officials failed to protect their daughters from sexual assault by another girl in their kindergarten class.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1206StudentsSexAssault06-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sly Dog
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sly Dog   E-mail Sly Dog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like another 5-year old is going on the Sex Offender Registry. Ohh-Raah, Police, good work!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a 58-year old homeless man has butt bucked and killed a couple dozen teenage boys beginning some years before this kindergarten kiddy was even born.

Disclaimer: Admit that the link doesn't say a whole lot, but it does seem that filing a lawsuit is an exteme action possibly taken for the publicity value as much as anything. Sexual Assualt by 5-year old? Please, that beggers the definition of assault.

--------------------
Gruntled Postal Employee

Posts: 15 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If the child in question had hit her playmates with a baseball bat, would that meet your definition of assault?

I don't think a troubled 5-year-old belongs on a sex offender registry either (and no one, in the article or out of it, has said that she does) but the facts according to the article are that the school had been informed by the child's own mother that there might be problems. So the school should have to accept some responsibility for not doing enough to prevent other children from being molested.

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sly Dog:
Sexual Assualt by 5-year old? Please, that beggers the definition of assault.

Uh, dear, you do realize that, perhaps, if we start cracking down on assault at age 5, rather then just saying "Boys will be Boys" we might have fewer adults who thing it's their right to stick their dicks wherever they choose.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Looks like another 5-year old is going on the Sex Offender Registry. Ohh-Raah, Police, good work!

Sly Dog, your post has me totally confused. The article said nothing about the police or about putting the child on a sex offender registry.

quote:
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a 58-year old homeless man has butt bucked and killed a couple dozen teenage boys beginning some years before this kindergarten kiddy was even born.
That's just odd, and I really don't get the point: are we supposed to ignore some crimes because other crimes are worse?

quote:
Disclaimer: Admit that the link doesn't say a whole lot, but it does seem that filing a lawsuit is an exteme action possibly taken for the publicity value as much as anything. Sexual Assualt by 5-year old? Please, that beggers the definition of assault.
Not much of a disclaimer, is it?

What exactly do you think is the "publicity value" of claiming that one's child has been sexually assaulted?

As for your final comment, I don't know how you define sexual assault, but it really doesn't matter. What matters is the legal definition, which I suspect is broader than yours.

Notice: the school district doesn't claim the assaults didn't take place. It maintains that its employees took "immediate and appropriate action."

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo.:
quote:

Uh, dear, you do realize that, perhaps, if we start cracking down on assault at age 5, rather then just saying "Boys will be Boys" we might have fewer adults who thing it's their right to stick their dicks wherever they choose.
You are aware that not only are women able to be sexual assaulters, but the alleged one in this case is female?
Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mags:
quote:
quote:

You are aware that not only are women able to be sexual assaulters, but the alleged one in this case is female?
The principle's the same, though.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Though it should be noted, of course, that these girls were allegedly molested by a female classmate.

I think the significant issue in this case is that the abusive girl's mother had warned the school that the daugher, who was a victim of sexual abuse herself, could pose a threat to her classmates. If it turns out to be the case, then it does appear the school failed to address a known risk.

It's not a matter of blaming the child; 5 is too young for someone to be cognisant of the effects of their actions. But the school do seem to be worthy of some blame if the particulars of the case are true.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ryda, the abuser in this case is female, but I think your point stands. Someone who is already abusive at such a young age needs to be intervened with.

Whoops, thoroughly spanked. Not in an assaultive manner though.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Um, the story in question is about a girl, not a boy. And it also has no info at all about what actually happened between that girl and the other two she is said to have molested, so the analogy really isn't appropriate. And though it isn't a "get out of jail free" card, accepting that young children don't always respect or understand the idea of personal space and "no-no places" might help some. Children are not adults! When I was around that age, I had to be told not to stick my hands down my pants in public and not to touch people's crotches when wrestling or tickling. Kids don't always know. In kindergarten, a boy I know would pull down his pants and show people his penis. Is he doing that now? No way! It's not the same at all, so I find your statement very innapropriate.

ETA: Spanked! sorry. My first message board spanking too!

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sly Dog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sly Dog   E-mail Sly Dog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No question in my mind that a hit with a baseball bat constitutes assault. More open to interpretation is the definition of Sexual Assault. I do not know what happened and I really do not want to know the details unless I am forced to be on the jury...so I am mostly questioning how activity between/among pre-pubecent children can be brought before a Court as Sexual Assault. Perhaps I did not express my ideas clearly in my reply. Let me try to explain my thinking: If during the Spanish Inquisition you were 5 years old and brought before the Court as a heretic, and you had never in your life heard the name Jesus...would you still be a heretic?

--------------------
Gruntled Postal Employee

Posts: 15 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:

Actually, I don't think it really is. It is as though someone posted something about someone mowing down a bunch of people with their car, and someone else posted "well, if we didn't let those women drive, we wouldn't have these problems!" It doesn't really matter whether the person committing the act was male or female.

It just illuminated a very clear bias.

I don't think any 5-year old, male or female has any concept of molesting another child. It seems pretty clear she was acting out on things that had been done to her, and the mother had warned the school that it was something that might happen. I certainly hope that the child has been and will continue to receive therapy for what she has been through.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No question in my mind that a hit with a baseball bat constitutes assault. More open to interpretation is the definition of Sexual Assault. I do not know what happened and I really do not want to know the details unless I am forced to be on the jury...so I am mostly questioning how activity between/among pre-pubecent children can be brought before a Court as Sexual Assault. Perhaps I did not express my ideas clearly in my reply. Let me try to explain my thinking: If during the Spanish Inquisition you were 5 years old and brought before the Court as a heretic, and you had never in your life heard the name Jesus...would you still be a heretic?

The assaulter had herself been sexually abused, so I think she had in fact "heard the name Jesus" to use your analogy.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Welcome to the board, Sly Dog.

But I don't think your analogy is a good one. Since there seems not to be any question of the alleged abuser being brought before a court; she hasn't been prosecuted for any offence, and is below the age of criminal responsibility in Texas.

This is better viewed as an issue of a school knowing of a potential risk (a victim of sexual abuse whose mother was concerned at her acting out her abuse on others) and allegedly taking no action. It's best considered as being like a pot-hole in the playground than anything else.

While there should be some sort of intervention with the abuser, I don't think anyone's advocating criminal prosecution.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:

It's not a matter of blaming the child; 5 is too young for someone to be cognisant of the effects of their actions.

Bull pucky. They know very well at age five.

And, fine, it's a female. Big freakin deal. Don't change a darned thing.

ETA: However, it does change the picture when you add the sexual abuse of the accused into the equation.

Mea culpa on both. Thank you for the corrections sirs and mesdames.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

quote:
Let me try to explain my thinking: If during the Spanish Inquisition you were 5 years old and brought before the Court as a heretic, and you had never in your life heard the name Jesus...would you still be a heretic?

According to the SI? Yeah.

--------------------

Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Clarity:
And though it isn't a "get out of jail free" card, accepting that young children don't always respect or understand the idea of personal space and "no-no places" might help some. Children are not adults! When I was around that age, I had to be told not to stick my hands down my pants in public and not to touch people's crotches when wrestling or tickling. Kids don't always know.

All true, but in thise case, the girl who allegedly committed the sexual assault had been assaulted herself. It's not at all the same as a 5YO not knowing any better. It's a 5YO who's been inappropriately sexualized and doesn't know what do to do with it. Still not her fault, of course.

But my interpretation of Ryda's comment (and maybe I misunderstood her) was that we can't simply ignore the behavior. The girl does, in fact, need to learn appropriate boundaries. What's the alternative? To let her keep hurting other kids because some sick adult hurt her?

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mags:
quote:

Actually, I don't think it really is. It is as though someone posted something about someone mowing down a bunch of people with their car, and someone else posted "well, if we didn't let those women drive, we wouldn't have these problems!" It doesn't really matter whether the person committing the act was male or female.

It just illuminated a very clear bias.

I don't think any 5-year old, male or female has any concept of molesting another child. It seems pretty clear she was acting out on things that had been done to her, and the mother had warned the school that it was something that might happen. I certainly hope that the child has been and will continue to receive therapy for what she has been through.

I knew a 6 year old that was molested by her eight year old half sister. How did her sister know how to molest her? Because she had been molested. And she definitely sexually assaulted her sister. She didn't innocently touch her in a no-no place when they were wrestling. She told her they were going to play a game where the younger sister laid down on a blanket in their "fort" and the older sister laid on top of her, fondled her genitals, and put socks in her (the older sister's) pants and rubbed against the little sister.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But my interpretation of Ryda's comment (and maybe I misunderstood her) was that we can't simply ignore the behavior. The girl does, in fact, need to learn appropriate boundaries.

Which is why the mother alerted the school to be on the lookout for inappropriate behavior, which the school allegedly failed to appropriately address, hence the lawsuit.

I don't think anyone is saying that the child should be held criminally responsible for her actions; but that's not what the lawsuit is about. It's about the school's failure to protect her classmates after being warned that she might exhibit inappropriate behavior.

Here's a far better (IMHO) analogy than the heretic one: let's say the child was known to play with matches. The school is informed that the child has been playing with matches, and that they should pay particular attention to make sure she doesn't start a fire. The school fails to do so, the kid takes matches from a teacher's desk and starts a fire that burns another child.

The suit is about the school's failure to protect, whatever the child's issues.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sly Dog

They know what at age of five, Ryda (Ditto to Dara and Thistle)? Damn, I am caught in the middle of a barrage of what seem to be misunderstanding responses with no opportunity to clarify before the next barrage is fired. Maybe I will go back to lurking where I don't have to feel like a June Bug trying to escape a gaggle of geese!
To be honest, I did know what I was stepping into when I signed on as a member, so ignore my whimpering...I consider it as being baptized. I knew some would not recognize the irony in my call to put a 5-year old on the Sex Offender Registry

--------------------
Gruntled Postal Employee

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we are missing the irony because there isn't any there. Not every snide comment is irony. I did see the snideness though.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 303 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly more info: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/4382523.html
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

quote:
They know what at age of five, Ryda (Ditto to Dara and Thistle)?

Well, it appears Ryda and I disagree about whether or not a five-year old is fully aware of the consequences of their behaviour; for the record I say 'no' and she says 'yes.' So I'm mildly confused that you're seeking the same clarification from both of us.

quote:
Damn, I am caught in the middle of a barrage of what seem to be misunderstanding responses with no opportunity to clarify before the next barrage is fired.

While it may seem that we're misunderstanding you, it appears to me at least that you've misunderstood the issue. The little girl who's alleged to have molested her classmates has not been prosecuted; this is a civil case about a school failing in its duty of care to its pupils.

quote:
Maybe I will go back to lurking where I don't have to feel like a June Bug trying to escape a gaggle of geese!

Nah, stick around, it gets easier.

quote:
To be honest, I did know what I was stepping into when I signed on as a member, so ignore my whimpering...I consider it as being baptized. I knew some would not recognize the irony in my call to put a 5-year old on the Sex Offender Registry
Well, I recognised that you didn't genuinely think it was a good idea to put a 5-year old on the Sex Offender Registry. But, since that's not been recommended, it's rather an irrelevant point. Like I say, from looking at your first post, with your references to the police and the Sex Offenders Registry, neither of whom were referred to in the OP, I don't think you understood the actual issue being addressed. Unfortunately, when that happens, you can expect to have your knuckles rapped.We're sticklers for detail round here, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't worry about it, though. Consider it a baptism of fire.

--------------------

Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And, fine, it's a female. Big freakin deal. Don't change a darned thing.
Personally, if someone immediately posts on a sexual assault case involving a young girl molesting two other little girls, and their immediate response is to not even bother reading about the attacker and respond "we might have fewer adults who think it's their right to stick their dicks wherever they choose." it certainly changes how I view that person's opinion, and the bias inherent in it.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't post details, for privacy's sake, and for fear of remembering them wrong, but 5-year-olds CAN possibly know what they're doing.

My sister taught kindergarten for a couple of years, and had an instance where a boy fondled a girl on the bus to a field trip. The boy had an older brother, and quite often hung out with the older boys, was considered "cool" by them, and was privy to more information than most 5-year-olds.

My sister's unhappiness with how the case was handled led her to take a break from teaching to go back to school to get her master's in education policy and reform.

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rixel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rixel   E-mail Rixel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i'm prone to disagree with that - at least in part.

Can 5 year-olds know what they're doing? Well, honestly - yes, yes they can. If a 5 year old is bouncing a ball and you ask him/her what they're doing, they'll most likely respond "I'm bouncing a ball".
But to say that a 5 year old appreciates the results of their actions and understands the long-lasting implications/consequences they will have (especially negative ones hurting animals or other people), and I think that's stepping into the realm of BS.

Maybe the child in this story knew she had been hurt by her abuser (she probably did), and maybe she realized that what she was doing hurt to the other two girls (she probably did as well on some level), but could she distinguish the pain she was doing to them could impact their life 10, 15, 30 years down the line vs the pain of a scraped knee? Ha!

Let's strap her down and break out the needle, we need to put this one down cause she realizes the long-term consequences of her actions at 5 years old... right.

--------------------
When p.c. actions become so inane they're absurd, my opinions won't be far behind.

Posts: 102 | From: Regina, SK, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From Snopes's second article, it looks like it's a pretty valid lawsuit.

My only complaint comes with this part:
quote:
One of the plaintiffs said her daughter was transferred to another classroom when she notified school officials of the reported abuse. But the abuser still was able to have interaction with her daughter, she said.
I'm so sick of seeing this; moving a kid away doesn't solve the problem of a sexually acting out student! It might make the child moved feel safer (if only in appearances), but it really isn't addressing the problem.

But all in all the lawsuit sounds valid. I'd be interested to see where it goes. Maybe they'll hire Jesus and Satan as the lawyers.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by Rixel:
Let's strap her down and break out the needle, we need to put this one down cause she realizes the long-term consequences of her actions at 5 years old... right.

No one is even suggesting she be arrested, let alone executed. The parents of the other children are suing because their daughters were not adequately protected from her after the school was warned of the potential for abuse. I doubt they meant that the girl should have been "put down". [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Rixel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rixel   E-mail Rixel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

No one is even suggesting she be arrested, let alone executed. The parents of the other children are suing because their daughters were not adequately protected from her after the school was warned of the potential for abuse. I doubt they meant that the girl should have been "put down". [Roll Eyes]
Ah, yes - my apologies, I wrote that, not in response to the article itself, but in response to some of the general implications earlier.

However, the comment was very snide and uncalled for.. as such the comment is cheerfully withdrawn! [Big Grin]

--------------------
When p.c. actions become so inane they're absurd, my opinions won't be far behind.

Posts: 102 | From: Regina, SK, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Okay, but what should they do? Keep her away from all other peers for the rest of her life? Re-learning how to integrate into society is very important to her mental development.

I'm not snarking on anyone here; I'd actually like to know. Therapy is a given, but how long are they going to have to keep her away from other children? I feel really bad for this girl.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What should the school have done to begin with (i.e., when the mother informed them that her daughter had experienced sexual abuse)? Supervised the girl constantly? Kept her away from the other kids? I want to know what the school could have done to keep her from abusing other kids, apart from monitoring her at all moments or segregating her from the other children.

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

She doesn't need to be kept away from other children, but she does need to be closely supervised until she is better able to interact appropriately with others.

--------------------

What is .02 worth?

ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Artemis, I think they should have monitored her at all times. I don't see why that would be unreasonable.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

wanderwoman
Bluetooth Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderwoman   E-mail wanderwoman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think they have to keep her away from other children. They do need to supervise her carefully when she is with other children and help her learn what is appropriate behavior and what is not.

I agree, I really feel bad for her. A terrible injustice has been done to her. Life is not easy for a child who has been sexually abused, and the repercussions subside but never really go away completely. Even when she is older she remains at risk for a number of bad things.

ETA: Arg, spanked! Darn work, always getting in the way of posting quickly! [Razz]

--------------------
"But I'm adding this to my reasons why I never really liked really good looking men much. Sheesh, what good is good looking if you have to stuff a sock in his mouth." - Sara at home
NFBSK, IIRC and other mysterious Snopester language

Posts: 851 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
They know what at age of five, Ryda (Ditto to Dara and Thistle)?

You asked this:

quote:

I interpreted this as your asking how a five year old would know enough about sex to sexually assault another child. So I responded:

quote:
The assaulter had herself been sexually abused, so I think she had in fact "heard the name Jesus" to use your analogy.
By that I meant that she had first-hand experience with sexual abuse upon which to model her own behavior.

I just ignored your talk about courts and such because it's irrelevant to the OP. This five year old is not going before any criminal courts as far as we know. This is just about the parents of the victims suing the school for not protecting their children from a known threat.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages