snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Gay outings fueled and spread by Internet rumors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gay outings fueled and spread by Internet rumors
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 104 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When the comedian Bill Maher went on "Larry King Live" and alleged that some top Republican operatives were gay, it was too much detail for CNN, which edited the remarks out of later broadcasts and off the transcript on its Web site.

But the remarks couldn't be edited out of cyberspace, where they remain available, along with virtually everything else these days.

Maher's comments, and a series of recent coming-out announcements by Hollywood figures responding to persistent rumors, show just how much the Internet has changed the rumor mill, and consequently the process of "outing" celebrities.

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/1116internet-outings16-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BamaRainbow
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BamaRainbow   E-mail BamaRainbow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I find outing to be acceptable in only one situation--politics. Closeted gay politicians make life for all gays miserable and should be outed whenever possible.
I don't think there's much need to mention religious leaders since the ones who are most against gays are also fairly active in political circles as well and (in my view) are little more than politicians.

Posts: 20 | From: Montgomery, AL | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I disagree with forced "outing", flat out across the board. I dont give a damn what the person does for a living, their sexuality is none of my business. If a person is comfortable being "out", then thats fine, but if they want to keep their sexual orientation private, thats fair enough too.

Apart from anything else, I always feel it reduces the level of debate to petty schoolyard homophobic giggling. "hey! Such-and-such has teh gay! [snigger]. Oh, we arent gossipping, this is NEWS!!eleventyone!!!". No, its not news. "Person has sex with other person!" is not news regardless of the gender mix involved.

[Edited because "falt" isnt even a real word. Stoopid fingers.]

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brainy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainy   E-mail Brainy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to agree that I do not believe forced outing in any situation is a good thing. However, I would be lying if I said that I don't get a small amount of satisfaction when I see it happen to someone who has been outspoken about restricting the rights of the gay community. But hey, I'm human.

The truth is that there ARE probably gay politicians in the republican party but aside from the small amount of guilt-ridden satisfaction that it gives, what good does it really do? Isn't there a better way of going about changing things? Yes, my youthful idealism is still active. [Razz]

Posts: 13 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What difference does it make if you out them?

The closet gay politician who makes life hard for the gay community is not going to suddenly say "I'm gay and I'm proud" and start lobbying for equality laws if they get outed. They're obviously ashamed of their sexuality. Their belief is that it is 'wrong' and they try to hide it or compensate for it.

The person's belief system is not changed by their being outed, so their behaviour likely won't change.

Voters don't have a right to that kind of personal information. Choose your 'gay vote' based on stated policies. If they are anti-gay, they are probably going to stay that way 'out' or not, and if you're not, you'll likely vote the other way regardless.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm of the opinion that there's generally nothing wrong with revealing the truth. If a politician does not want the public to know that he is gay, the burden is on him to not do anything that could be used to prove his homosexuality. It's exactly the same as with anything else - I don't see why sexual orientation needs special protection from public exposure.

I would of course feel differently if revealing someone's homosexuality was something that could lead to their persecution, but I don't think that that's usually the case in the modern USA. While being known to be gay would, say, hurt a man's chances to be elected President regardless of which party he was a member of, I think that generally being known to be homosexual would only be particularly harmful to those politicians who pander to homophobia, and I see no reason why such hypocricy should not be exposed.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
keokuk
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keokuk     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BamaRainbow:
Personally, I find outing to be acceptable in only one situation--politics. Closeted gay politicians make life for all gays miserable and should be outed whenever possible.

I'd imagine that there are probably more than a few closeted gay politicians who consistently vote in favor of gay rights, but still want their personal life kept private. How do they make life miserable for anyone?
Posts: 345 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troodon:
If a politician does not want the public to know that he is gay, the burden is on him to not do anything that could be used to prove his homosexuality.

In what way is his sexuality any your business? Would you like to know if the female politicians use pads or tampons?

I maintain the position that their actions are what you should base your vote upon, and you need no other personal information.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
quote:
If a politician does not want the public to know that he is gay, the burden is on him to not do anything that could be used to prove his homosexuality.

In what way is his sexuality any your business? Would you like to know if the female politicians use pads or tampons?

I maintain the position that their actions are what you should base your vote upon, and you need no other personal information.

I don't care whether female politicians use pads or tampons, but I don't think that someone who happens to know has any moral obligation to keep it secret. Likewise with sexual orientation: I don't care, but if I happen to find out, and if it happens to harm the re-election chances of a politician I do not support, I think it is right for me to reveal it (as long as it's true, of course). Admittedly, I would feel bad about causing distress to another person, even if it was a person I considered contemptible.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
serarose
Deck the Malls

Icon 08 posted      Profile for serarose   E-mail serarose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Noone, whether they're in politics, a celebrity, or just a regular person, should have to come out before they are ready to, if they ever do.Modern USA is not as accepting of homosexuality (and any other identity besides heterosexual) as it should be, and there's still a heck of alot of repercussions for people when they do come out (psychological,physical,etc.), public figure or not.

I think that politicians who are closeted may have more power legislative-wise than others,but, as has been pointed out in previous posts, their mindset and choices aren't going to change, whether they're outed or not.

--------------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning- Einstein

Posts: 290 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Frankly what happens in anyone else's bedroom is NONE of my business, just like what happens in my bedroom is none of your business, that's the case if i'm a nobody, or the president of the US. What I do in my spare time doesn't affect my performance in my job. So why should I tell you what I do in my spare time? why should it be public record? I think everyone has that right to privacy, and if they don't want to know that they go into their bed with a member of their same gender, then the onus is on them to keep that secret, (otherwise it's not much of a secret)

As for someone keeping it secret? frankly if I knew that someone was gay and I knew that theyw anted it to be kept secret, then yes, I would keep that secret. It's just the right thing to do, I mean, I wouldn't want some of my secrets out, just like a lot of people don't. I'd ask Bill Maher if he'd want his secrets revealed... I'm sure he has some skeletons in his closet. it's just a matter of finding them.

Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Generally, I don't agree with 'outing' people against their will, though it grinds my gears that it matters.

However, I definitely do make an exception for gay political figures who take anti-gay stances to win votes. The public may not have a right to know they are gay, but they have a right to know they're being hypocritical. I would feel the same way 'outing' a temperance advocate who was a secret drinker, or an adulterer who attacked others for sexual immorality. To me, that kind of hypocrisy is a legitimate character issue.

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

If someone took a stance of banning tampons, for example, I might want to know, yes.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
peculiar hailstone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peculiar hailstone   E-mail peculiar hailstone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the link doesn't work

--------------------
my wife made me join a bridge club. I jump off next Tuesday...

Posts: 121 | From: St. Catharines, Ontario | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time I see the title of this thread, I think it's about gay people all going somewhere for the day together.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Blue Fuzzy Thing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Fuzzy Thing   E-mail Blue Fuzzy Thing   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A slight hijack, I recently learned of Oliver "Billy" Sipple who saved President Ford from an assassination attempt. As a thank you, gay activist used the media to out him, ruining his life.
quote:
Despite his wishes, gay activist and politican Harvey Milk, publicly proclaimed Sipple and said his act "will help break the stereotype of homosexuals." Gay liberation groups petitioned local media to give Sipple his due as a gay hero. Then columnist Herb Caen published the private side of the ex-Marine's story in the San Francisco Chronicle. Six other papers ran the column as well. After discovering her son's secret, Sipple's mother reacted to the public harassment she began to endure by cutting off contact with him.

Sipple filed a $15 million invasion-of-privacy suit against Caen, the seven newspapers that published his disclosures, and fifty "John Doe" publishers for invading his privacy. A San Francisco superior court judge dismissed the suit by Sipple, who continued his legal battle until May 1984, when a state court of appeals upheld the original dismissal.

Sipple's mental and physical health sharply declined over the years. He drank heavily, was fitted with a pacemaker, became paranoid and suicidal. His weight increased to 298 pounds. On February 2, 1989, he was found dead in his bed, with a half-gallon bottle of bourbon at his side. The forty-seven-year-old Sipple had been dead for two weeks.

Blue Fuzzy Thing

--------------------
People say I have ADD, but they just don’t understand that... Oh look! A chicken!

Posts: 151 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
After discovering her son's secret, Sipple's mother reacted to the public harassment she began to endure by cutting off contact with him.
Which, IMO, says far more about Sipple's mother, and her relationship with her son, than it does about anyone else.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A politician's sexual orientation is only a public issue if they make it one - for example, by proposing and endorsing rabidly homophobic legislation, or conversely, by encouraging acceptance of non-hetero lifestyles (IMO it would be hypocritical for a politician to encourage people not to feel scared to admit to being gay while refusing to do so themselves.)

in any other situation, given the risks involved, "outing" someone would seem to involve damage with little or no benefit.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What difference does it make if you out them?

Our Republican congressman was outed right before the 2004 election and withdrew from the race. I think the idea from the bloggers that outed him was that there would be no way for the Republicans to field another candidate so quickly and the Democrat challenger would be elected. But the Republicans did field someone who won & was re-elected in 2006.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages