snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Flavored condom ad in bad taste?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flavored condom ad in bad taste?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Indian authorities want to stop the daytime airing of a television advertisement promoting flavoured condoms saying it is obscene and in bad taste.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-11-03T142402Z_01_DEL17797_RTRUKOC_0_US-INDIA-CONDOM.xml

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The advert promotes DKT's "XXX" strawberry, chocolate and banana flavoured condoms with the catchline "What is your flavor of the night?."
Strawberry, chocolate, and banana? Sounds like good taste to me.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They actually tatse pretty bad. At high school we were givn licorice ons on a school excursion and we got other flavours at verious times when they were taching us about safe sex.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kizzcee007
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kizzcee007   E-mail kizzcee007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Guess they didnt teach you how to spell?

Oh I know I'm going to get told off for that but I cant resist...

Posts: 156 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kizzcee007:

It's "didn't" and "can't," you know. If you must criticise others, you should try to make your own posts exemplary in terms of correct spelling and punctuation.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara bhur gCara:
quote:

It's "didn't" and "can't," you know. If you must criticise others, you should try to make your own posts exemplary in terms of correct spelling and punctuation.
Excellent observation, Dara. And this, dear people, is why I rarely correct another's post. The few times that I have done so, I have made a glaring error in my own. Poetic justice, yes? [lol] I do, however, take wicked pleasure in pointing out errors in posts which are made for the specific purpose of correcting another. ::snicker::

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One has to wonder what kind of school "excursion" would require condoms...
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry about the spelling, my fingers were going faster than my brain, and a bad laptop keyboard, i over worked the poor thing at uni.

My high school was very big on sex ed, and this included a trip to family planning clinics and the sexual health unit at the hospital in grade 9 or 10. At these places they gave us "free samples", most of which were blown up and sent out the bus window or stuck over the water taps.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kizzcee007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kizzcee007   E-mail kizzcee007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I stand, most humbly told off, in the corner of the room with my hands on my head.....I did say I'd get told off for my comment...but I couldnt help myself. [dunce]
Posts: 156 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ange84, "excursion" is the correct spelling. Methinks GenYus was making a wink-winkTM joke.
quote:
I stand, most humbly told off, in the corner of the room with my hands on my head.....I did say I'd get told off for my comment...but I couldnt help myself. [dunce]

No, you weren't told off for your comment. We were simply making the point that if one is going to correct the spelling, grammar, etc. of another poster, then one should be absolutely certain that his/her critical post is without error.
[fish] By the way, it's "couldn't." ::big hug::

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
ange84, "excursion" is the correct spelling. Methinks GenYus was making a wink-winkTM joke.

Twern't me, dear Lady of Dragons. Twas "my" avatar, but tweren't me, twere charlie23.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:

Twern't me, dear Lady of Dragons. Twas "my" avatar, but tweren't me, twere charlie23.
But 'twas still a funny joke! [lol]
See how observant I am, ol' bloke? [dunce]

--------------------

Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Conservative attitudes to sex and contraception and a lack of awareness is common, especially in rural India.
As opposed to the enlightened, sex-positive U.S., where all teenagers are educated about contraception methods should they reject abstinence, flavored condoms are routinely advertised on daytime television, and no one would ever raise a snit over sexual content delivered during a major sporting event. Those crazy, backward hicks...

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I, for one didn't find the comment about the spelling an issue at all given that it wasn't a simple "you suck cuz you can't spell" post but simply pointing out how they find it important to give out condoms but not teach spelling." More a jab at the skewll than the poster IMO.

And yep, I got's errors too so have at it [Wink]

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages