snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Here’s Your Syllabus, and Your Condom

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Here’s Your Syllabus, and Your Condom
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fall happens to be back-to-school season for the condom industry. Students are unlikely to find a Sunday circular encouraging them to pick up a Durex Pleasure Pack along with their composition books.

But it is a good bet they will find some sort of condom promotion on their college campuses. Some deliver grave messages about sexually transmitted diseases; others are humorous riffs on masculinity. But the goal is the same: to introduce the companies’ products to freshmen, create new health habits and, of course, drive future sales.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/fashion/24condom.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Good. This is a very good step to be taking.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
htonl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 16 posted      Profile for htonl   Author's Homepage   E-mail htonl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On my third day at university we had an obligatory "sex ed" talk. (Understand, this is in South Africa where HIV/AIDS is an enormous problem, such that, IIRC, something like one quarter of the population is infected.) Amongst other things, they handed out packets of free condoms.

(Slight hijack:) What was really funny, though, was that we had this nice middle-aged lady giving this talk, and she was happily and explicitly talking about (and describing in detail) all sorts of sex acts - oral sex, anal sex, 69s, fisting, and so on. Then when I looked round at some of the other students in the lecture theatre, it was very obvious which ones were from very conservative homes (i.e. ones where even "ordinary" sex was strictly taboo as a topic for discussion). The looks on their faces were something to behold. [Eek!] I only wish I had had a camera with me that day.

By the way, I don't know exactly why she was talking about all these various types of sex act - I think it was something to do with assessing the HIV infection risk in each.

(I don't intend for this to sound like a "sophisticated-city-boy-looks-down-on-hicks-from-the-countryside" type story - the jaw-dropper looks on their faces were simply utterly hilarious.)

--------------------
Part of the Secular Humanist Conspiracy™ since 1997.

Posts: 35 | From: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They had this back when I was in college, of couse the only use I had for them at the time was as a water balloon.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They hand out condoms on campus here occasionally too. Last time they were so nice I figured it was easier to accept the condoms than explain that I was in a long-term monogamus relationship and would actually be happy to get pregnant so I decided to use them to explain to my DD about protection and how important it was even though she's more than a couple of years shy of actually needing that information.

It was all worth it to see the look on DH's face when his innocent little 7yo said "Look what Mommy gave me!" and showed him a 2 pack of condoms [lol]

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages