snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Bras and panties for preteens! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bras and panties for preteens!
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was on holiday (Gran Canaria) a couple of months ago, there were so many local children, from about 4 and up, who were wearing thong bikinis. It was creepy.

Am I being thick? I don't understand that first t-shirt...

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tempura:
A friend of mine had a similar one with teddy bears in the same locations. It read, "Stop staring at my teddies!"

When I was 14 this girl in my class that I really fancied was talking to her friend about what she got for her birthday and she mentioned a teddy nightdress... I was imagining some sexy silk lacy strappy thing (as you would) and wondering who she would be wearing it for and getting really jealous.

A couple of years later my dream came true and I actually got to see her in her teddy nightdress, and it was a long blue and white stripy cotton thing with a picture of a teddy bear on it. It was rather disappointing.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jessboo,

I believe the first T-shirt is referring to roleplaying games. In roleplaying games, the characters have various statistics such as Wisdom and Strength. Charisma, commonly shortened to CHA is one of these statistics. In the game, certain "magic items" have the ability to raise your statistics, such as a sword with +2 strength or a crown with +3 wisdom.

Apparently the T-shirt is implying that the items that are covered are magic and give a bonus to the charisma of the wearer.

I believe this to be true, imho.

Morning
only has +5s

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, the geekiest t-shirt ever, then. [Wink]

Thank you for explaining!

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, you caught me. I'm geeky.

quote:
Morning
only has +5s

[lol] Amen, sister.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morning:
Morning
only has +5s

You could equip a Bra of Lifting.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Winter Morning
Deck the Malls

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Winter Morning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
Originally posted by Morning:
Morning
only has +5s

You could equip a Bra of Lifting.
YOMANK!!

I must have one of these amazing artifacts of lore!! I will go on a Mission!! Who will join me to find this awesome and fabulous item??

Morning
strapping on her armor to prepare for the quest ... it's labeled VISA. [Big Grin]

Posts: 321 | From: Ohio (Land of Good Morning) | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StillandSilent
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StillandSilent   E-mail StillandSilent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was walking at the mall last year and saw a rather disturbing sight. Up ahead of me was a girl about 12 years old. Young enought that she still had the body of a little girl, no hips, butt or boobs. She was wearing shorts so tiny that her butt cheeks were showing and one of those strapless corset type tops from hot topic. One of those that are meant to enhance and show off your chest. Of course, she was too young to have a chest. She was also holding the hand of a guy old enough to be her father. I was so creeped out. Not to mention that it was about 1 in the afternoon on a school day.
I had a bra when I was a preteen. My mother finally gave in to my whining and bought one, despite the fact that I had very little to put inside it. It was more of an undershirt type deal though, no padding. I thought I was the coolest thing in the world. Now I'm 21 and still don't have enough to fill the average bra.

Posts: 75 | From: Morganton NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
XhiXhi
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XhiXhi   E-mail XhiXhi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to put in my 2 cents on the whole issue, I was overjoyed when the local stores started carrying "Girls Club" and other brands of pre-teen/teen lingerie. As a very small person, I've always had tons of trouble finding a bra to fit around the back, with the cups in the right place (ie on my FRONT, not an inch apart at the centre and finishing halfway around my sides!. Also, it was a breath of fresh air finding bras that weren't dripping with black lace, frills, and /or padding up the wazoo as well.

Not that I'm defending padded pseudo-bras for young girls (ick) but just pointing out that until the advent of proper "girls" underwear a lot of people were making do with poorly fitting garments, and can now choose something a little more appropriate in a small size than a "My Little Pony" cami [lol]

--------------------
"A solitary killer, the fire-truck can consume eight times its own weight in prey...the ambulances will have to wait their turn"

"I'm wearing a f**king evil butterfly costume...what age group do you think is going to be attracted to me?"

Posts: 51 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ummm, if you have padding up your wazoo, methinks you are doing something wrong. [lol]

The "My Little Pony" cami goes well with the Strawberry Shortcake crotchless panties...

Okay, that did it. I went and grossed myself out... [fish] I deserve it...

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But as has been explained, padded bras are not merely for making girls appear more well-endowed; it is a modesty protector.

I buy my 11 year old padded bras.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They also reduce chafing. We're talking about some incredibly sensitive body parts here, particularly when they're just beginning to grow.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
But as has been explained, padded bras are not merely for making girls appear more well-endowed; it is a modesty protector.

I buy my 11 year old padded bras.

I don't think anyone has an issue with that. It's that the padded Bratz bralettes mentioned in the OP article came in sizes as small as 6. Why would your average 6 year old need something like that?

Unless, of course, she wanted to look like her Baby Bratz Doll. Babies in leather and lingerie? One even has a thong.

ETA-Hmm, Bratz seems to claim that last one was a manufacturing mistake. But it wasn't the only one.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LPP, not everyone who wears a size 6 is actually 6 years old. And padding is great for hiding the under-shirt details of someone who might not have anything to put in a bra yet, but doesn't like her nipples showing through her t-shirt.
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:
I've never understood those pants with writing across the butt! What woman wants to highlight the fact that her butt could be large enough to sell advertising?

Not that I approve of pants with writing on them, but there are some of us who do not feel the need to be ashamed of our large butts. It's not like you need a particularly big butt for the word "Sexy" anyhow.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSquall:
quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:
I've never understood those pants with writing across the butt! What woman wants to highlight the fact that her butt could be large enough to sell advertising?

Not that I approve of pants with writing on them, but there are some of us who do not feel the need to be ashamed of our large butts. It's not like you need a particularly big butt for the word "Sexy" anyhow.
Let me be the second in this thread to say "Amen, sister" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a few days ago, I saw this woman with a very "nice" rear with the writing "Athens" on the back of her shorts. It is the name of a local college, but if you "think" with a lisp, it can be used to help decide which way to put those shorts on... [fish]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kismet:
LPP, not everyone who wears a size 6 is actually 6 years old. And padding is great for hiding the under-shirt details of someone who might not have anything to put in a bra yet, but doesn't like her nipples showing through her t-shirt.

Ok, I'll give you that.

Nonetheless, and maybe I'm cynical, but I somehow doubt 30 new bralette styles in size 6 were produced to provide for the needs of the minute percentage of girls in the first stages of sexual development who happen to wear several sizes smaller than average. I think they were made to appeal to little girls who want to look and act like big girls in ways that go beyond trying on mommy's high healed shoes, and the Baby Brazt doll line does nothing to relieve my suspicion.

The day my daughter needs a bralette for modesty or comfort she'll get one. But before then, she's not padding her boobies--well, outside the house anyway. What she does with my bra and a pair of socks in playtime is her business. [Wink]

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
invisigoth
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
My 13 year old saw the commercial and was aghast.

"Bras and panties by BRATZ?? My boobies aren't TOYS!!"

*sniff* She's so smart sometimes!

haha! my boobies aren't toys! can i use that as a siggy?
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
quote:

Ok, I'll give you that.

Nonetheless, and maybe I'm cynical, but I somehow doubt 30 new bralette styles in size 6 were produced to provide for the needs of the minute percentage of girls in the first stages of sexual development who happen to wear several sizes smaller than average. I think they were made to appeal to little girls who want to look and act like big girls in ways that go beyond trying on mommy's high healed shoes, and the Baby Brazt doll line does nothing to relieve my suspicion.

The day my daughter needs a bralette for modesty or comfort she'll get one. But before then, she's not padding her boobies--well, outside the house anyway. What she does with my bra and a pair of socks in playtime is her business. [Wink]

Perhaps the "dress up" market is what they're courting. My daughter doesn't get to wear makeup yet out of the house, but she owns a whole lot of makeup that has been marketed toward girls her age.

I think that this is oh-so-much ado about nothing whatsoever here.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
Perhaps the "dress up" market is what they're courting. My daughter doesn't get to wear makeup yet out of the house, but she owns a whole lot of makeup that has been marketed toward girls her age.

I think that this is oh-so-much ado about nothing whatsoever here.

What do you think about those dolls?

--------------------

Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For the benefit of the few people who might not already be familiar with it, I present Max Burbank's Open Letter to the Parents of the Girl with the Word on her Ass.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
LPP, not everyone who wears a size 6 is actually 6 years old.

So true. My 5yo wears a size 6. We have often commented on the inappropriateness of the clothing and underwear marketed to young girls. In a large department store (think "& Roebuck") we found underwear in the girls department with "eye candy" printed across the butt. It ooked me out for days. Bratz are not allowed in our house and DD knows it. When we're looking at toys and get to the Bratz aisle, she always says "Oops, can't go down this one!"

That being said, I got my first bra in 4th grade (age 9) and needed it. Of course I also wore size 11 or 13 clothes.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Working in a lingere store for about 6 months it was common for 10-12 year girls come in and try on the water bras which are definatly designed to enhance. These girls looked terrible. And Bratz dolls, does anyone else think they look like low class hookers. Oh yes thats what i'd want my daughters to aspire to.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
curlygirl
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curlygirl   E-mail curlygirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

FYI The article linked in the OP and the Target link are both for Australian markets. Sizing in Austalia is different to sizing in the US. My just turned 6 yo DD wears size 7 and 8 tops from Target and she weighs about 45 lbs and is pretty average size for her age. I work in the uniform shop at her school and trust me there are very few girls older than her that would be wearing size 6 from Target Aus.

Besides those padded bralettes go down to a size 2. And they have cup shaped pads in them not just a thin padding all over (there was quite a bit of video shown on the news here and the ones in the Target link are by far the tamest of the lot). IMO the summer shorts and skirts they have are disgusting too, micro mini skirtsand hot pants for 2 and 3 year olds [Eek!]

--------------------
"let them eat cake...and toast...and waffles...and cookies, don't forget the cookies"

Posts: 507 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages