snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » What form of birth control do you use? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: What form of birth control do you use?
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
ETA: I'd like a cite for the no periods increases your chance of cervical cancer claim, however. I have never heard that one before.

I've heard this is true if you're already at high risk for cancer for other reasons (family history, medical conditions, etc.) The woman I heard that from at least implied that it's otherwise not dangerous.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I Googled:

"cervical cancer" "risk factors"

and read about half a dozen of the top results. Not one of the mentioned amenorrhea (lack of menstruation) as a risk factor. Cancer.org* did mention multiple pregnancies as a risk factor, but not because pregnant woman experience fewer periods:

quote:
Women who have had many full-term pregnancies have an increased risk of developing cervical cancer. This may be because some of the women may have had a higher exposure to HPV.
*ETA: Cancer.org is the website of the American Cancer Society.

And Dave, you should know that "the woman I heard that from" is not a cite. [fish]

Further edited to quote Dave correctly, and to add:

Current medical consensus is that the #1 risk factor for cervical cancer is infection with human papilloma virus (HPV). Some of the previously cited risk factors (oral contraceptives, multiple sexual partners, early sexual activity) may be indirect, that is, they may correlate with greater incidence of cervical cancer simply because they correlate with great incidence of HPV infection.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 19 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
My ugly face...

Same here. [Smile]

I've found "never getting laid" is a pretty effective form of birth control. [Frown]

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramblin' Dave, ramblin' again:
quote:
ETA: I'd like a cite for the no periods increases your chance of cervical cancer claim, however. I have never heard that one before.

I've heard this is true if you're already at high risk for cancer for other reasons (family history, medical conditions, etc.) The woman I heard that from at least implied that it's otherwise not dangerous.
The references I found also did not mention family history or medical conditions (other than HPV infection) as risk factors for cervical cancer. Your source may have had risk factors for breast cancer and cervical cancer mixed up. If so, I believe she was also confused about the relationship between menstruation frequency and cancer risk. Breast cancer is more common among women who begin menses at earlier ages, women who have never been pregnant, and women whose first pregnancy occurred after a certain age (25?). In each of those cases, the women with the greater cancer risk were the women who had more periods, not fewer.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Furious:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Tea:
Mr Furious - just goes to show what I know [lol] I've always associated the two terms, but I must admit I wouldn't bother with either, but cheers for putting Spikey straight for me [Wink]

Cheers, Jay Tea. It's a very common misconception. Technically, and under the broadest possible definition, the rhythm method falls under the umbrella of "natural family planning," but it's been discredited for 20 years or so.
20 years? That figures actually, having gleaned my 'knowledge' from old Billy Connolly gigs  -

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by robbiev427:
quote:
My ugly face...

Same here. [Smile]

I've found "never getting laid" is a pretty effective form of birth control. [Frown]

Don't you have three kids, Doug? Doesn't sound very effective to me. Besides, if it were, there wouldn't be any ugly people!

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The NFP method my colleague uses is a combination of hormones and rhythm (not temperature). It analyses the hormone levels in a urine sample. His wife has used it for 10 years without problems (until it got dropped and broken).

http://www.persona.org.uk/index.cfm

Also:
http://www.g-h-o.co.uk/persona.htm
(Warning: It has been brought to our attention that an organisation named Global Health Options (GHO) is offering to sell PERSONA to consumers in the USA. Unipath Limited has not applied to the FDA for permission to market PERSONA in the USA and therefore sales of PERSONA to consumers in the USA are unauthorised. Unipath Limited is not connected with GHO and does not supply GHO or endorse its website. Sales of PERSONA via the GHO website are not authorised by Unipath Limited. If you order PERSONA from GHO or through the GHO website you do so entirely at your own risk.)

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RiotGirlHeather
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiotGirlHeather   Author's Homepage   E-mail RiotGirlHeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only been on two, depo which I had problems with, and nuvaring which is awesome. BC doesn't always have to be started for the first time on the first day of your period. At least, in my case, it didn't.

Heather

--------------------
Luke: I'm Luke Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.
Princess Leia: You're who?

Posts: 560 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:

The references I found also did not mention family history or medical conditions (other than HPV infection) as risk factors for cervical cancer. Your source may have had risk factors for breast cancer and cervical cancer mixed up. If so, I believe she was also confused about the relationship between menstruation frequency and cancer risk.

No, she was giving advice to a younger woman who had PCOS. One of the symptoms of PCOS is irregular periods, and the younger woman was talking about how much she enjoyed only getting hers every three months or so. The older one, who also had that condition, told her that, like it or not, she was putting herself at risk for either cervical or uterine cancer (I can't recall which) by not doing anything about her condition. It had something to do with the uterine lining becoming a breeding ground for cancer if it didn't replace itself often enough.

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Perhaps she confused risk factors and symptoms. Amenorrhea can be a symptom of many conditions (including ovarian tumors - haven't seen anything on cervical), but in itself does not pose a risk to the woman.

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RiotGirlHeather:
I've only been on two, depo which I had problems with, and nuvaring which is awesome. BC doesn't always have to be started for the first time on the first day of your period. At least, in my case, it didn't.

Heather

Are you referring to Depo or Nuvaring?

I know Depo can be started at any point in your cycle. What are the other times that Nuvaring can be inserted?

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was on depo for 2 years, which is basically the max that my doc would keep me on it, due to the bone density issues. I bled the first 5-6 months, then nothing. I've been off it for 6 months now, and I haven't restarted yet. I got a mirena (my doctor was ok with it, even though I haven't had any kids, YMMV) and the insertion was awful. I have some scar tissue on my cervix from having precancerous cells removed, so I'm sure that made it worse. Afterwards, I could barely walk out of the office, I was shaking and I felt weak. I got it friday and spent the weekend on the couch with a heating pad but was back at work on Monday. I've had it 6 months, no unpleasant side effects and no pregnancy.

Plus I'm starting to lose some of the weight that the depo "helped" me put on.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:
quote:
Originally posted by RiotGirlHeather:

Heather

Are you referring to Depo or Nuvaring?

I know Depo can be started at any point in your cycle. What are the other times that Nuvaring can be inserted?

I just inserted it the day I picked it up which was mid cycle. But I was switching off of Ortho Evra so I had been protected by that for the previous 2 weeks. I had the option of finishing the Ortho Evra, but I was not having any more of the constant nausea so I chose option 2 which caused me to move that months period because I was on something for 5 straight weeks.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm, I didn't know that. Thanks, Rhiandmoi.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:

The references I found also did not mention family history or medical conditions (other than HPV infection) as risk factors for cervical cancer. Your source may have had risk factors for breast cancer and cervical cancer mixed up. If so, I believe she was also confused about the relationship between menstruation frequency and cancer risk.

No, she was giving advice to a younger woman who had PCOS. One of the symptoms of PCOS is irregular periods, and the younger woman was talking about how much she enjoyed only getting hers every three months or so. The older one, who also had that condition, told her that, like it or not, she was putting herself at risk for either cervical or uterine cancer (I can't recall which) by not doing anything about her condition. It had something to do with the uterine lining becoming a breeding ground for cancer if it didn't replace itself often enough.
Not exactly, but I can see where the confusion comes from.

I did some more googling, this time on uterine cancer risk factors. Amenorrhea is not one. Endometrial hyperplasia is a risk factor for uterine cancer:

quote:
The risk of uterine cancer is higher if a woman has endometrial hyperplasia. Endometrial hyperplasia is an increase in the number of cells in the lining of the uterus. It is not cancer but it can develop into cancer. Heavy menstrual periods, bleeding between periods, and bleeding after menopause are common symptoms of hyperplasia.
However, according to the US Dept. of Health's Women's Health.gov website (empahsis mine):

quote:
Women with PCOS can be at an increased risk for developing several other conditions. Irregular menstrual periods and the absence of ovulation cause women to produce the hormone estrogen, but not the hormone progesterone. Without progesterone, which causes the endometrium to shed each month as a menstrual period, the endometrium becomes thick, which can cause heavy bleeding or irregular bleeding. Eventually, this can lead to endometrial hyperplasia or cancer.
So, yes, untreated PCOS can increase one's risk of uterine -- but not cervical -- cancer. However, to say that not having periods increases one's risk of cancer is an oversimplification.

Amenorrhea aside, there are plenty of sound reasons to seek treatment for PCOS. From the same USDOH website:

quote:
Women with PCOS are also at higher risk for diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Getting the symptoms under control at an earlier age may help to reduce this risk.
ETA: Amenorrhea deliberately caused by hormonal birth control, under appropriate medical supervision, is a completely different matter from amenorrhea due to untreated PCOS. There's no reason to assume the same risks exist.

--------------------

Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
My ugly face...

Same here. [Smile]

I've always found laughter to be very effective.

Megan's " [lol] [lol] [lol] " Mom

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 98 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan's Mom:
I've always found laughter to be very effective.

Megan's " [lol] [lol] [lol] " Mom

[lol]

Robbiev -oh wait. are you laughing at me?- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been on the Mirena IUD for around 15 months now with no problems except for the insertion. I am another with a tight cervix . I felt slightly dizzy for a couple of minutes and then was alright.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not if you're not wagging *something* in my general direction...

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Megan's Mom:
quote:

Not if you're not wagging *something* in my general direction...
[lol] I'll do what I can.

--------------------

Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not very good at remembering to take a pill every day, and I hate that black ring the patch leaves on my skin. The Mirena IUD sounds like it would be perfect, except I'll probably be one of those people who has a horrible insertion experience. (I had a colposcopy done last summer after an HPV scare--which thankfully turned up negative--but which took way longer than it should have because the doctor kept having to tell me to relax so she could get in there.) Still, five years of no pregnancy and no periods might make it worthwhile...perhaps I could just get really stoned before my appointment? [Wink]

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I borrow from a "Malcolm in the Middle" episode, but I like to point out that we have our Pill child, our Rhythm (better know as "No honey, it's safe) child, and our brand new Condom child.

Truth be told, they are all actually drink and porn-fueled children [Smile] . I'm sure if Wifey actually TOOK the Pill, and the rubber wasn't upstairs while we were downstairs...well, they'd probably work better.

And, of course, that's all a bit unfair. We wanted them all. More a case of "it's OK to be carless 'cause PLANNING a conception seemed so un-motivating".

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Nother Depo gal here. I don't have much of a choice in the matter, as I have a tendsancy towrds deep vein thrombosis (forming fun and exciting blood clots in body parts for the hell of it).
I don't have any real problems with it, aside from a few owie pimples. I still menstruate, just not much (part of it is the Coumadin though).
I really miss Ortho though-no cramps and my face was all nice and rosy.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StillandSilent
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StillandSilent   E-mail StillandSilent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I use Seasonal, the one where you period only comes 4 times a year. I used to have terrible cramps and they have entirely gone away. I use it for hormonal reason only though, so I don't know how effective it would be against pregnancy. Likely the same as any other pill.
Posts: 75 | From: Morganton NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moriath
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moriath   Author's Homepage   E-mail Moriath   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm on the Ortho Evra patch and absolutely love it. I talked about the increased risk for blood clots with my doctor and he said a) the media reports blew the risks out of proportion and b) I have no risk factors for blood clots anyway, so since I enjoy only having to worry about it once a week plus I don't have to take pills daily (which just makes me feel like I am sick, no matter what type of pill it is), I've stayed on it. [Cool]
Posts: 20 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a big fan of Mirena. I've had mine for a little over a year. Insertion was not a problem at all for me. It wasn't comfortable, but it wasn't awful either. I used to have 7-10 day, heavy, awfully crampy periods and now it's 2 days max and extremely light.

If cost is a concern, Planned Parenthood is a great option. They go by a sliding scale based on income. My health insurance does not cover birth control at all and Mirena is over $400 plus $150 for the insertion IIRC. My OBGYN suggested I call Planned Parenthood. I got the whole thing, plus a preliminary pap smear/STD check for $125 at Planned Parenthood. Not bad for 5 years worth of birth control.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

People who have Mirena who have had either painful or uneventful insertions, I have some questions:
1. Have you ever had a colposcopy? How did the two compare?
2. Did you have period pain before getting Mirena?
3. How long did the discomfort last?
Thanks!

--------------------
Officially Heartless

queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
People who have Mirena who have had either painful or uneventful insertions, I have some questions:
Thanks!

1. No
2. No.Except for 2 miscarriges so not really PPains.
3. A couple of minutes max but accompanied by slight dizzyness. My doc said she only did IUD insertions as her last appt of the day to allow a recovery time.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks!

1. No
2. I had cramps that were very similar to early labor. In fact, when I was in the earlier stages, I sat through them cheerfully, and I think I even said to J at one point, "Oh, this is nothing. I've done this before, except those were nonstop for three days. These come and go."
3. There was some cramping involved when I got mine inserted, but it was't major compared to labor pains. I had mine inserted at my six-week post-partum checkup. A friend of mine had a TERRIBLE time getting hers done, to where the doctor said that when it was time to replace it, he wanted her to go in and be sedated first. BUT, she had not had kids, so a big part of her pain was a closed cervix (mine was still slightly opened) and an unstretched uterus. Cramping was slight and lasted a day or two, and I bled for another six weeks or so (Poor J. He had been so excited that I was getting good BC and then it worked for an entirely different reason!)

I get a tad irritable once a month, spot for one or two days, but I have no cramping, and the bleeding is light.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My girlfriend in college used the pill. My wife used the pill when we started dateing but she'd forget to take it and remember that she had not taken it after we had sex. she'd forget a couple days in a row sometimes. Luckily she never got pregnant. Now it is a combination of being married, sorry couldn't resist another marrige jab, and condums.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush
O Come Let Us Adore Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey is a Hanukkah Bush   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my co-workers and I were talking about birth control, and she said that she started on the NuvaRing, but that her body started rejecting it after a while...I suppose it can happen, right?

--------------------
My mom, about my nervousness with Jeopardy!: "Don't worry about it. Just get drunk and you'll do fine."
Blog Just call me Mickey 2

Posts: 3295 | From: Radford, VA/Herndon, VA/Orlando, FL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What'd she mean by that? I have no idea what she could be referring to. Was it an allergic reaction? Did she keep getting infections? Did it just not stay in place? Weird.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used Implanon (PDF document) for a while, and was very happy with it. It's an implant about the size of a matchstick which sits under the skin of your upper arm. It lasts for three years and, in my case at least, had no major negative side effects. My periods were fairly random; nothing for six months, two days of bleeding, nothing for three weeks, a week of spotting, nothing for three months, etc.

I did notice an improvement in the condition of my skin once I had it removed and I've also had trouble maintaining my weight at a reasonable level since. I guess that in someone without my hyperactive metabolism that would probably indicate a possibility of weight gain while on it, but for me it meant I was able to get up to a normal weight for once.

As someone who has trouble remembering to take a pill each day it was great. I haven't had it replaced because I don't need any form of BC in my current state of extended singleness. [Frown]

I'm planning to ask about the possibility of having my tubes tied when I go in for my next checkup. I'm over thirty now, so hopefully I've passed that magic mark where I'm considered old enough to not change my mind thirty seconds after having the procedure done.

When I find myself non-single again I'll probably, being a firm believer in the "absolute paranoia*" method of BC, still go back on Implanon even with my tubes tied.

*This method means a hormonal method as well as a condom with spermicide. If I can add having my tubes tied and a vasectomy for my partner as well, so much the better.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by qualli:
go to chuckee-cheeses or some other kid infested place.

Your ovaries will shrivel up and hide in your ribcage

Was I the only one who laughed at this?!

My birth control methods of choice have been a condom for me and a partner on the pill. So far so good.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ThistleS- Exactly what Auntie Which said. It's kinda scarey really, I would have written the same thing except I spotted for about 8 weeks after insertion. None of that spotting was bad at all, like not even an ultra-thin's worth a day (but I did change them more than that just because).

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages