snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Parents: Expert Says Attack 'Pleasurable'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Parents: Expert Says Attack 'Pleasurable'
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The parents of a severely disabled woman suing a Colorado Springs school district over a sexual assault at a high school said the district has refused to mediate a civil lawsuit as one of its experts called the attack "pleasurable" for the woman.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SCHOOL_SEX_ASSAULT?SITE=FLTAM

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a recent Law and Order: SVU episode on something similar.

She was 18 years old. Is she FORCED to be considered a "ward" forever? Can she NEVER choose to do something that may or may not be enjoyable for her?

If the authorities do not charge the BOY with rape of a retarded woman, then they should charge the retarded woman with rape of an under age BOY!!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If that is the truth (sometimes interested parties mishear/misinterpret what the other side is saying), then the school is in trouble. This would be a statutory case. If the daughter is as disabled as it sounds from the article she would by law be unable to give consent and if the school really did fail to screen the boy before putting him in a position of authority they may well be liable.

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aptenodytes_Forsteriis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aptenodytes_Forsteriis     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
There was a recent Law and Order: SVU episode on something similar.

She was 18 years old. Is she FORCED to be considered a "ward" forever? Can she NEVER choose to do something that may or may not be enjoyable for her?

If the authorities do not charge the BOY with rape of a retarded woman, then they should charge the retarded woman with rape of an under age BOY!!

Reread the article. The Boy plead guilty to a charge last year.

Can someone with a severe cognitive disability choose "to do something that may or may not be enjoyable for her"? I guess it depends on the severity of the disability. I agree that there is something disquieting about the law stating that any sex that such a person has is by statute rape, but what is the alternative? Do we allow anyone who can persuade a profoundly disabled person to have sex to do so? What if the person is so disabled that they need a caregiver to make all judgements for them and the person persuading them to have sex is that caregiver? (that seems pretty close to this case actually)

--------------------
'Hello, assorted humanoid strangers. You are standing casually in our forest. This bewilders us.' Blatherskite

Posts: 950 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
musicgeek
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicgeek   E-mail musicgeek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was an episode of Law & Order (the original series, not one of the offshoots) some years back -- the judge dismissed the charges, saying the girl "was having the time of her life." The episode predated this incident -- seems eerily prescient. I'll see if I can locate the episode.

ETA: Got it! Season 8, "Damaged" -- link here.

--------------------
[God said] "I'll just sit back in the shade while everyone gets laid; that's what I call intelligent design." - Chris Smither, "Origin of the Species"

Posts: 411 | From: Fairfield, CT | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see here. Her IQ was 50, the boy who raped her was assigned as a peer trainer (whatever that is), her behavior toward men after the attack has become aggressive.

Sounds like the experience wasn't too pleasurable, the boy's a scumbag, and the "professional" hired by the district needs to be deep fried....

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't understand what about was "pleasurable".

[Confused]

I don't know much about the subject, but I've heard that sometimes even rape victims have orgasms at the time of rape. That doesn't in any way make it a pleasurable experience.

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why was a boy with a 0.0 GPA assigned as a peer trainer anyway? What was he going to train her to do? Fail?

This school district has everything ass-backwards.

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 601 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The SVU episode this made me think of was on Channel M tonight in BC. Competence
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryda Wong:
Let's see here. Her IQ was 50, the boy who raped her was assigned as a peer trainer (whatever that is), her behavior toward men after the attack has become aggressive.

Sounds like the experience wasn't too pleasurable, the boy's a scumbag, and the "professional" hired by the district needs to be deep fried....

They did not define how she become aggressive. I would guess they were saying she had become sexual aggressive toward males. That sounds like it may have been more than a pleasurable experience.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Singing in the Drizzle:
quote:

They did not define how she become aggressive. I would guess they were saying she had become sexual aggressive toward males. That sounds like it may have been more than a pleasurable experience.
I have a good friend who has a profoundly mentally handicapped son. He went through a stage when he was in his teens where he probably would have been described as "sexually agressive". His mind may have functioned at a very low level but his body was perfectly normal. Hormones can be a horrible thing.

The sad part is that there are no women (well ok maybe one or two) who are going to seek out and solicit sex from a severely mentally handicapped teenage boy. The same cannot be said for certain men who prey on the innocence and vulnerability of mentally handicapped girls. If there is a hell I hope there is a special place there for those men (and occasional women) who would do such a thing.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Singing in the Drizzle:
quote:

They did not define how she become aggressive. I would guess they were saying she had become sexual aggressive toward males.
They clearly defined the aggression. From the article:

quote:
Starr said Kalie is still sweet and friendly, but will grab men and pinch them.

"She used to be passive and affectionate, now she's aggressive, especially toward males," said McArthur. "She could end up hurting someone, maybe a little boy."

Doesn't sound like sexual aggression to me.

quote:
That sounds like it may have been more than a pleasurable experience.
I'm not sure what you mean by "more than a pleasurable experience," but it's my understanding that victims of child sexual abuse sometimes becomes inappropriately sexually aggressive. Do you think they enjoyed it, too?

Then there's the matter of her bruises.

ETA: If she's not considered, under law, to be capapble of consenting to a sexual act, her specific physical reaction to the experience is irrelevant.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:

They clearly defined the aggression. From the article:

quote:
Starr said Kalie is still sweet and friendly, but will grab men and pinch them.

"She used to be passive and affectionate, now she's aggressive, especially toward males," said McArthur. "She could end up hurting someone, maybe a little boy."

Doesn't sound like sexual aggression to me.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to judge who was right or wrong. Since the article does not start to tell the whole story from both sides. I will let the courts decide what to do. I know the boy confesed to forcing the girl and it is possible he was forced into confessing. Again I'm not trying to judge ether of them.

The article said she was being agressive and pinching males. It did not tell you how she was being agressive or how she was pinching. Its just the word agressive does not tell you much with out some more words to describe how she is being agressive. A simmilar thing for the pinching. My wife pinches me all the time, but it is not to harm me and depending on how and were it can be pleasurable.

It been a 60 hour week a the office and my brain had not been functioning the best when I get home at night. I did not intend for what I said to be mean or hurtful. It just that I think the article should had said more about the agressive behavor and pinching and not let us assume the worst.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once again the writer or the editor of the article decided to put more emphasis on the shock value and put very little details.

How exactly did they conclude that the experience was pleasurable for the woman?Did she say she enjoyed it?

The article also mentions her being gropped and grabbed by other boys too.Did she enjoy that as well?

It's like a child molestation case with the ages reversed.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages