snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Hilarious commercial: what is it for?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hilarious commercial: what is it for?
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When your vibrator goes missing...

What is the commercial for? The website, .de, indicates German, but it doesn't sound German to me, unless it's been that long since I called my grandma!

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its definetely not german. Its polish or croatian or something around the area where they still use the latin alphabet instead of cyrillic.

Though I dont know what the punchline is, something in me tells me it could be something like: "Looking for a restaurant? Try the yellow pages."

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was pretty funny.

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shrek_Daddy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shrek_Daddy   Author's Homepage   E-mail Shrek_Daddy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Polish Translator

"czas na wfasne mieszkanie" appears to be polish and means something like "time for your own apartment?" (The page says it means "Time on apartment wfasne ") and "mieszkanie" means apartment.

I searched for mieszkanie, found a PL domain page--looked up polish translators and voila...ain't Google grand.

--------------------
"We keep finding better ways to celebrate mediocrity"---Mr. Incredible

Assume at least one edit for typos..my keyboard and I fight alot :)

Posts: 275 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Polish -- the "ł" gives it away.

Thus "czas na własne mieszkanie" translates as "Time for a personal apartment".

[ETA re. the "Ł" sound -- it goes something like this. Make an L sound: the tip of your tongue will touch the back of your teeth. Now make it touch the palate a little further back: you"ll get a "soft" L common in Slavonic languages. Now try to make the L without actually touching the palate: You will get something like the "Ł".]

ETAA: Found a more complete version here. It's for a Polish bank promoting hypothecary loans.

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought .de was Denmark??

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mythophobia
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mythophobia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
.de is, as mentioned, Deutschland/Germany, .dk is Denmark. [Smile]
Posts: 49 | From: Denmark | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah... thanks

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages