snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Patterns of deceit raise concerns about teen sex surveys

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Patterns of deceit raise concerns about teen sex surveys
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 104 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does signing a virginity pledge after you have had sex make you a virgin again?

It hardly seems likely. But how else to explain a new study in which teenagers who said they had had sex in one survey then signed a pledge and told a different story in a survey a year later?

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0508sci-virginity08-ON.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erinker74
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erinker74   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They used to give these surveys all the time when I was in High School. They were about sex, drugs, and/or alcohol. We never took them seriously. Generallly, we either made it seem like we were shooting horse every 10 minutes, or that we didn't even know what marijuana was. Ditto for sex. I imagine that is what is going on.

--------------------
"I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair,
you still hit those brakes. Hey, better try the emergency brake." -Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Posts: 245 | From: Gladstone, MO | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MizzyLou
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MizzyLou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We used to lie all the time on these surveys, too, and now that I teach high school and talk to the kids about them, I can tell you that they still lie.

And those silly pledges? Juniors and seniors (boys mostly, girls are a little more subtle) laugh hysterically about how they took the pledge on a Sunday morning and then spent Sunday night going for it in the backseat. As if a teen from a pCm family is going to stand up in church, right before pledge time and yell "Sorry! Too late! Ha Ha!" Get real.

Abstinence-only is a joke. Teens will never stop having sex.

Posts: 264 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Abstinence-only is a joke. Teens will never stop having sex
Sure they will...soon as they grow up and get married.

No, please, I got it. [fish]

Ali "or maybe that's why I'm divorced" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
8Ball
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8Ball   Author's Homepage   E-mail 8Ball   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abstinence-only is a joke. Teens will never stop having sex
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure they will...soon as they grow up and get married

Tell me about it lol. I have just never been able to figure out why - something about wedding cake [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Pool, Poker, and Life - it is all about using the odds to your favor - sometimes you win sometimes you don't but as long as you learn something new you really didn't lose

Posts: 12 | From: Womelsdorf, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought it was realated to the wedding ring. Either a reaction to the gold or the constriction on the finger that ended sex. [Wink]

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They're teenagers. Lying about your sex life comes with the territory.

As for "you can't stop," Hell, why not? I never started!

Of course, that was due mainly to a combination of being shy, socially awkward, and hideous to behold.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Goof:
I always thought it was realated to the wedding ring. Either a reaction to the gold or the constriction on the finger that ended sex. [Wink]

I think the wedding ring causes those headaches that my wife always gets when I want to have sex. She never had those before we were married. but once the ring went on I started hearing, "not tonight, I have a head ache." I'm thinking she needs to see a doctor about that. [Smile]

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Echinodermata Q. Taft
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Echinodermata Q. Taft   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
Of course, that was due mainly to a combination of being shy, socially awkward, and hideous to behold.

Well, glad to see you've gotten over the "shy" part.

Okay, okay..... [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish]

That was, I admit, totally uncalled for and completely over the line, and all that. But there are some straight lines Man was not meant to resist....

--------------------
http://eqtaft.blogspot.com

Hope for the future! http://www.runobama.com

Posts: 3218 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zman977:
quote:
Originally posted by The Goof:

I think the wedding ring causes those headaches that my wife always gets when I want to have sex. She never had those before we were married. but once the ring went on I started hearing, "not tonight, I have a head ache." I'm thinking she needs to see a doctor about that. [Smile]
There's always the trick of bringing her two aspirin with a glass of water and telling her it's for her headache. When she says, "I don't have a headache..."

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages