snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » What do you suppose she thought abstinence meant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you suppose she thought abstinence meant?
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I'm reading BNA's Toxic Law Reporter (light reading, I know) and I come across this case where a woman, despite all the warnings she received concerning Accutane and birth defects, sued the company for failure to warn when her son was born with severe birth defects.

Her claim? That the multiple warnings she was given (and signed in multiple places) failed to tell her abstinence was not an adequate form of birth control.

quote:
The consent form required a patient's signature in several places. In part, it stated that "severe birth defects have occurred in babies of women who took Accutane during pregnancy." The form also directed women to abstain from sexual intercourse or to use two reliable birth control methods simultaneously. It cautioned that any birth control method can fail.
What the heck did she think "abstinence" meant? When the form says "any" birth control method can fail, how did she interpret that as not warning her that abstinence might not be adequate?

[The case was dismissed, BTW]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused how can not having intercourse, not be an adequate birth control? Unless her partner was ejaculating on her hoo hoo without actual intercourse I guess.

Snicker...I actually used hoo hoo.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I would like to know what kind of abstinence she was practicing, so we can get that out of the abstinence only education.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Like every other form of birth control, abstinence is vulnerable to the human error factor. Espececially when the form of abstinence you're practicing is, "Well, we'll just do everything else but that."

Because "everything else" tends to lead to "that".

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What an idiot. It's women like her that make Accutane that much harder for the rest of us to get. This really burns me up. Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel sorry for the baby. Aside from that, if the woman did something stupid that damaged her already-born child, she could get in trouble for it, but as long as the stupid things she does only damage a child yet-to-be-born, she is not punished.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages