snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Non-UL Chat » NFBSK Gone Wild! » Run on KY ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Run on KY ?
NovaSS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for NovaSS   E-mail NovaSS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at the drug store and being the nosey type I always look around. Last week I noticed the sheves were empty of KY and other personal lubricants. I picked up what I needed ( no not KY !) and went to the counter. I knew they guy that was working so I asked him about it. He told me they always have a run on personal lubrcants right before valentiens day, most bought by women.
Posts: 162 | From: Maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donna T
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donna T     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Makes sense to me!

--------------------
Life is like a box of chocolates, you gotta try everything to see what you like!!

Posts: 120 | From: Kissimmee, Florida | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd buy that one as well. I can't confirm it, but it makes sense to me.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I clicked on this thread to see why everyone was so interested in Kentucky, but anyway...

Makes sense to me, too.

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NovaSS:
I was at the drug store and being the nosey type I always look around. Last week I noticed the sheves were empty of KY and other personal lubricants. I picked up what I needed ( no not KY !) and went to the counter. I knew they guy that was working so I asked him about it. He told me they always have a run on personal lubrcants right before valentiens day, most bought by women.

So now's the time of year to stock up! [Smile]

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Makes sense somewhat... except that if it happens every year, why can't the store stock up more? [Confused]

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:
Makes sense somewhat... except that if it happens every year, why can't the store stock up more? [Confused]

Most stores ore on an automated replentishment system (ARS) to resock goods. Chains (CVS, Brooks, Walgreens) will usially not stock up on anything that is not a "seasonal item" (decorations, heart-shaped chocolates, etc). The theory is that if they sell a tube of KY, the warehouse automatically puts a tube in with the next shipment so that the stock is always full. Sometimes, the item gets purchased faster than expected and there is a delay between the time it take to order (usually the register is connected to the ARS and orders instantly) and the time it takes for the next scheduled delivery.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgot to mention it earlier, but on my lunchbreak I went into a chemist and thought I'd check out the KY supplies. There was plenty, so if anyone is short... let me know.

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:
Originally posted by Oualawouzou:

Most stores ore on an automated replentishment system (ARS) to resock goods. Chains (CVS, Brooks, Walgreens) will usially not stock up on anything that is not a "seasonal item" (decorations, heart-shaped chocolates, etc). The theory is that if they sell a tube of KY, the warehouse automatically puts a tube in with the next shipment so that the stock is always full. Sometimes, the item gets purchased faster than expected and there is a delay between the time it take to order (usually the register is connected to the ARS and orders instantly) and the time it takes for the next scheduled delivery.
It entirely depends on the store, but this isn't a standard replentishment system regardless. It's very expensive and almost unheard of to restock single items. More likely they restock by the case at the bare minimum. It is also common to restock items based on demand same week or month last year.

That said, I think this is one of those 'toilets flush more during the superbowl' things. I don't honestly think that people have sex so signifigantly more on Valentine's day that lubricants become hard to come by. More likely, in this particular case the store screwed up, didn't restock thier KY and this lead to people purchasing other products since that was all that was available. I would guess the store clerk was blowing smoke.

Beach...sex once a year on valentines days is pretty pathetic and sad...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is entirely speculation on my part, but maybe people aren't just having more sex, they're having more anal sex, therefore requiring more lube.

Actually I'm with Beachlife on this one. I can see there being a slightly higher demand, but not enough to wipe out the entire supply.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
More likely, in this particular case the store screwed up, didn't restock thier KY and this lead to people purchasing other products since that was all that was available.

Another case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, obviously.

ham " [fish] " bubba

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It entirely depends on the store, but this isn't a standard replentishment system regardless. It's very expensive and almost unheard of to restock single items. More likely they restock by the case at the bare minimum. It is also common to restock items based on demand same week or month last year.

When I used to work at Kmart, some items were sent to us (from the warehouse) in a big box of single items that needed restocking, however, most items did come to us by the case. Some of the slower selling items were sent in the box.
Items like batteries, for example might sell fast enough that it is more economical to send it by the case, others sold slowly enough that only a single item had been sold during that period and so only a single item was sent (Philco headphones).
While such a system is costly to implement, the companies that use them feel that it is cheaper than paying someone to inventory and restock items more frequently. There is also method of placing orders manually as well.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

When I used to work at Kmart, some items were sent to us (from the warehouse) in a big box of single items that needed restocking, however, most items did come to us by the case. Some of the slower selling items were sent in the box.
Items like batteries, for example might sell fast enough that it is more economical to send it by the case, others sold slowly enough that only a single item had been sold during that period and so only a single item was sent (Philco headphones).
While such a system is costly to implement, the companies that use them feel that it is cheaper than paying someone to inventory and restock items more frequently. There is also method of placing orders manually as well.

Yes, this all makes sense, though KY wouldn't fall in the Philco headphones category.

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to restock the item based on sales and inventory, or both. A good selling item may have an automatic restockage level of 25%. A slower seller might have a restockage level of 5%. It all depends on sales, overhead costs, and shipping efficiency.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Most stores ore on an automated replentishment system (ARS) to resock goods.

So they ran out of KY jelly because their ARS couldn't deal with unusual levels of activity...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Large stores can get away with less-than-caseload quantities when they order from their suppliers, but probably only stores like KMart, Wal*Mart, and maybe Target. Perhaps stores' distribution centers allow it, as well, but that doesn't make a whole lot of labor sense.

As for why the store was out, I wonder if a quick quality check indicated that all the available product was past expiration date, which can happen if they don't sell a caseload quantity in a year.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Richard W, YOMANK

AnglRdr, that makes sense. I've heard that lubricants have a pretty long expiration date though. Or perhaps my friends are just gross and use old lube.

ETA: Or maybe there's a "sell by" date and the lube's still good at home for awhile after that, like milk. Well, not exactly like milk.

--------------------

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
KY does have an expiration date, but no sell by date.

I'm surprised no one has suggested that there was a slip-up at the KY factory.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
KY does have an expiration date, but no sell by date.

Has anyone told them about this in Frankfort?

[Big Grin]

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NewZer0
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for NewZer0   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by candy from strangers with bird flu:
This is entirely speculation on my part, but maybe people aren't just having more sex, they're having more anal sex, therefore requiring more lube.

My guess is that people are willing to be more open (no pun intended!) on Valentine's. So, maybe anal sex, maybe other things... Plus, KY has massage oils and stuff now, too.

I know I find Valentine's Day a good time to experiment (and to talk my partner into experimenting).

--NewZer0

--------------------
I study medieval literature because that's where the money is.

Posts: 1431 | From: Corvallis, OR | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Afterall it's Valentine's day a romantic holiday that's all about being in love. Sounds like the perfect time for kinky sex to me. [Wink]

*ETA, There was this beautiful moment when she was samwiched between the two finish dwarves and the maouri warrier...

--------------------

robbiev - singin' off key

Icon 19 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't care what anybody says, Kentucky Jelly tastes terrible. How did those people in Kentucky create such a demand for their product?

I'll get it [fish]

Anybody ever go to the drugstore just to buy a tube of KY Jelly, and just out of embarassment, buy a baby thermometer too just so the cute cashier won't think you're a loser with nothing better to do on a Friday night? ...or is it just me?

Robbiev -anybody need a baby thermomether? I've got plenty to spare- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Why a baby thermometer?

When I bought an adult novelty item from Spencer's I also bought a birthday card, so the cashier would think it was a gift for someone [Embarrassed] . But of course, it was for a friend *innocent whistling*

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Because you don't take a baby's temperature orally you sometimes need KY. Or vaseline. My mom had the jar of vaseline from my childhood until a few years ago.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stores, especially larger ones, run their sales data through every analysis tool they have. If there is a run on lubricants every Valentine's, they'd notice and prepare.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
By the by, astroglide is far, far better than KY, anyway.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bliss lube. Harder to find, but worth it. It has a pleasant scent.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

quote:
posted by Rhiandmoi
Because you don't take a baby's temperature orally you sometimes need KY. Or vaseline. My mom had the jar of vaseline from my childhood until a few years ago.

Ah, thank you.

quote:
posted by AnglRdr
By the by, astroglide is far, far better than KY, anyway.

I keep getting coupons for astroglide sent to me for reasons unknown. And no use for them, unfortunately. I've thought of giving some of them with the tip the next time I order chinese food.

--------------------

chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kinky sex never requires a holiday. It is its own holiday.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 09 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why a baby thermometer?

Rhiandmoi already got that one for me.

quote:

When I bought an adult novelty item from Spencer's I also bought a birthday card, so the cashier would think it was a gift for someone [Embarrassed] . But of course, it was for a friend *innocent whistling*

I did the same thing once at an adult bookstore, although instead of buying a birthday card, I made a statement about buying it for a bachelor party. Yeah, bachelor party *innocent whistling continues*

BTW...shouldn't have been necessary at Spencer's (didn't know those were still around). Those boxes said "Back Massager" didn't they? What's so embarassing about buying a back massager? [Wink] [Wink]

Robbiev -I'll take these 6 bottles of KY and one thermometer- 427

ETA: There's something to be said for the new KY warm touch stuff too.

Also ETA: Check out my cool new avatar. It's a C5 and everything!

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

quote:
posted by robbiev427
BTW...shouldn't have been necessary at Spencer's (didn't know those were still around). Those boxes said "Back Massager" didn't they? What's so embarassing about buying a back massager? [Wink] [Wink]

Actually, it said something along the lines of "Waterproof Mini-Massager" and had a picture of a couple kissing in a bubble bath on it.

--------------------

Icon 09 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...and had a picture of a couple kissing in a bubble bath on it.

Oh!!!!!1!1!! You're supposed to use it with someone else present! I've been doing it wrong! [Big Grin]

Robbiev -did I say that out loud?- 427 [Embarrassed]

--------------------

candycane from strangers

Yeah I have too [Big Grin] Twins I tell ya!

--------------------

ange84
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ange84   E-mail ange84   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cleaning up my room i found an old promo thing from a box of condoms, that was advertising how their lube was sold, 5ml sachets, up to 500ml pump packs. I laughed so hard at the pump pack.
Hooray i'm not the only person who buys things' for a friend or party'. I always grab something else when i get anything like that, and they really need to move the condoms and lube into an area with something intersteing than panadol to pretend you are looking at.

--------------------
Love is a sudden revelation: a kiss is always a discovery

Posts: 902 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 606 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ange84:
Cleaning up my room i found an old promo thing from a box of condoms...

[slight hijack]
It's pretty depressing when I'm cleaning my room and I find a box of 12 condoms I bought at the beginning of the month, and it's the end of the month and there are still a dozen left.
[/slight hijack]

Robbiev -oh...wait, you thought I was kidding- 427 [Frown]

quote:

Hooray i'm not the only person who buys things' for a friend or party'. I always grab something else when i get anything like that, and they really need to move the condoms and lube into an area with something intersteing than panadol to pretend you are looking at.

I think there should be a special section with it's own cash register and the cashier should be really ugly and disgusting looking and won't hardly speak. Intead, I always seem to get the friendly, chatty, cute 21 year old college student, who I might have asked out if I wasn't standing there with a bottle of KY and a Hustler magazine. I can just hear myself now. "I was going to go home by myself tonight and have a jerk-fest, but if you're interested in a date with me, I could wait and spend this $9.00 on you instead." How romantic.

Either that, or as I'm walking up to the cashier, I realize it's someone I know from church and have to quickly ditch the stuff and buy a pack of gum.

Robbiev -yep, it's 1:00 AM and all I came in for was this pack of Wrigley's- 427

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages