snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Saddam Hussein Execution Video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saddam Hussein Execution Video
deftonesmoo
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deftonesmoo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Came across this link . . .
supposedly, it shows the hanging of Hussein taken with a cell phone . . . the site itself doesn't contain nudity, but a lot of the video links are graphic, so be careful . . . possible NSFW . . .

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=863ce7d4a3

comments? thoughts? is it real?

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The same video as at cnn.com, only their version freezes just before the drop.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that I have participated in any hangings, but from what I know (from books), the noose doesn't appear to be made correctly, nor does it appear to be positioned correctly on his neck. Supposedly, the 'knot' is supposed to be up against his head, just behind an ear, to facilitate breaking the neck when he drops. If the neck doesn't break, then the person runs the risk of strangling to death.

Secondly, though the video is of very poor quality, I don't see a break between the drop and showing Hussein's face... is this enough time for the person to actually expire?

This is one thing (thankfully) of which I have no personal knowledge, so I just have questions.

Personally, I have my doubts about the veracity, but that is purely because of personal bias. Reality may be much different than my feelings.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
deftonesmoo
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deftonesmoo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's real . . . the clothing matches other videos and photos . . . as for the time it takes someone to expire, from the looks of it, he probably died of a broken neck . . . pretty traumatic drop . . . also seems to match other photos where his neck is obviously broken and tilted grotesquely to one side . . .
do you have a link to the cnn video?

Posts: 16 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
deftonesmoo, you might want to make sure you read about the new board we're moving to and repost your question there after registering. As so many users have already made the move, you'll probably get more responses there.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deftonesmoo:
do you have a link to the cnn video?

Sorta. See "Execution video circulates"

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages