snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Man falling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Man falling
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: A friend of mine sent me this unbelievable picture of what appears to be an asian man falling from a building and several people at a window trying to catch him. It seems dubious that all those people would happen to be at the window at that specific time let alone a photographer.

I can't tell if the picture is doctored and I couldn't find anything on the internet relating to it nor can I get in touch with my friend for more information.

Have you seen this before or have any idea what is happening or happened?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If the photo were real and the man truly falling, his shirt would be plastered to his chest instead of billowing out in front of him.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
the window that is "reflecting" his face doesn't seem to be at the proper angle to the camera to actually reflect the people. It seems to be a perfect flip of the image to the left (including the roads, etc), which is highly unlikely because there should be a shift of angle.
Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Look at the grip, there is no way they would have time to grab each others' hands that perfectly if he was zooming by towards the ground.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Ota Faction
Happy Holly Days

Icon 201 posted      Profile for The Ota Faction   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Ota Faction   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah, they're tossing him. He violated singin' in the drizzle's law.

--------------------
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
"That lonely recluse who lives down the road is crying out. So is that pregnant teenager. And the prostitute. And the drunkard."
Join the Free State Project - I did!

Posts: 1516 | From: *sigh* Elmira, NY | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From the look of the hands, there's quite a bit of pressure on those wrists. This suggests either he or she is upside down supported by the other. His shirt would hang towards his head more if he was upside down, but not if he had just got to that position as the shot was snapped.

The look on his face though, suits the 'shop, not this theory. [Smile]

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If he were falling, it would take quite a high shutter speed to freeze him that well. There is NO motion bluring in that shot. The fact that the background AND the guy are also in good focus would indicate a high f-stop. That would work against the high shutter rate idea. It also looks like a (relative) fine grain film, again working against the idea of a high shutter speed.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mags:
the window that is "reflecting" his face doesn't seem to be at the proper angle to the camera to actually reflect the people. It seems to be a perfect flip of the image to the left (including the roads, etc), which is highly unlikely because there should be a shift of angle.

The reflection isn't an exact flip of the original image. Look at the white block building. It is below the chest of the falling man in the image, but it is behind the hands in the reflection.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's an exact flip of the original background, the guy is pasted in later on both the 'real' and 'reflected' sides. The angle just doesn't look right for the reflection to me, either, but I can't put my finger on what it should look like.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is a bluescreen tourist photo thing and he is pushing his hands against a solid wall or something to be in the right position for the photo.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
It's an exact flip of the original background, the guy is pasted in later on both the 'real' and 'reflected' sides. The angle just doesn't look right for the reflection to me, either, but I can't put my finger on what it should look like.

At that angle I don't think they'd be reflected at all but it's not my area of expertise;-)
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

A-ha! I'm looking *across* that window, on the horizontal plane. If I were to see anything reflected in it at all, it should be sky. I would only see the traffic and road if I were looking *down* on that window from above.

I knew it was in there somewhere. [Smile]

--------------------

Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
I think it is a bluescreen tourist photo thing and he is pushing his hands against a solid wall or something to be in the right position for the photo.

I just noticed both of his wrists are bent at extreme angles-angles which (to me) can only be obtained when pushing against something.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if he's not being held upright by one of the people, like a gymnast. It looks like he's actually holding the hands of one person. So maybe he's being held up and the picture is flipped.

Anyone recognize the city?

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd go along with the gymnast/acrobat flipped picure explanation.

Whilst searching for the picture, I came across this news video of a man being rescued from a burning building, which could be similar to what is supposed to have happened in the OP photo (although he would have had to have leaned backwards out of the window above rather than lowering himself down).

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soft Hyphen
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soft Hyphen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I have no doubt the picture is a fake, I don't understand what you're seeing in the reflection that's in any way wrong. If it's faked, it's extremely well done. The angles are perfect or nearly so. It's not a flipped image. (Notice how far the lowest hand extends as compared to the one above it.)

There's nothing wrong with the reflection. It's exactly what you would expect to see in this kind of situation.

Posts: 78 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NancyFancyPants
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NancyFancyPants     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem that I have with it is that I've never seen a building that high with windows that open. I don't have a cite for this, but I think it's something that was changed for skyscrapers many years ago as a suicide prevention.

--------------------
And on the 7th day, God said, "Let there be lips!"

Posts: 296 | From: Munhall, PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NancyFancyPants:
The problem that I have with it is that I've never seen a building that high with windows that open. I don't have a cite for this, but I think it's something that was changed for skyscrapers many years ago as a suicide prevention.

I think there were multiple reasons. Safety (preventing accidents and suicides) was one factor. Cost-cutting and climate control systems were also considerations. Design plays a role, too: in some skyscrapers, the "windows" are actually glass curtain walls.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gibbie:
Anyone recognize the city?

A little search turned up this.

So, it's Beijing.

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The reflection isn't what I'd expect. It's like NZUL said, I don't expect to see the street and the traffic from this angle. Standing in my bathroom, if I press up against the wall that the mirror is on and look at the mirror, I see a reflection of the power outlet and the edge of the medicine cabinet, I don't see a reflection of the floor unless I stand on the toilet seat and look down across the mirror. Right or wrong, my brain is telling me that I should see a reflection of things that are at the same height as the surface, e.g. sky and tall buildings.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
web777
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for web777   E-mail web777   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It kinda looks like they are swinging him up from below judging from his shirt and the grip he has on the other people.
Posts: 1 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The reflection is perfect. I say it is a real picture, and the man is suspended there by wire. Looks like one is attached somehow to the seat of his pants. Probably some publicity stunt.

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

It's a tourist photo thing. Rotate the picture. The dude is clearly standing. One foot behind the other. If you rotate it that way, it's quite clear that he is standing on the ground.

I vote tourist photo because I can't think of any other reason for the hands position and look on his face. I've done one of those, and they encourage you to get just the right look to make the picture 'work'.

--------------------

TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NZUL:
It's a tourist photo thing. Rotate the picture. The dude is clearly standing. One foot behind the other. If you rotate it that way, it's quite clear that he is standing on the ground.

I vote tourist photo because I can't think of any other reason for the hands position and look on his face. I've done one of those, and they encourage you to get just the right look to make the picture 'work'.

I'd have to agree. IMHO his shoelaces indicate this as well. If you rotate the photo the laces on seem to be hanging as they would if he were standing for the pose. Then again having never seen laces in a situation of a man falling at a high speed who knows.

Other than that a few things seem a wee bit convenient for the photo: the guy is close enough to the building to be touching it (indicating that he just stepped off a ledge instead of jump out from the building) there are 3 people standing at the window he just happens to fly by, those same people must have really great reflexes to all reach for him as he flies by, and of course the camera man- The shirt was a good point mentioned above as well....c'mon now;-)

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gutter Monkey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gutter Monkey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If he was added to the image using Photoshop (or similar) and the reflection was similarly digitally added then whoever did it really really knew what they were doing.

I rotated the image so that the buildings were plumb level and then I took the image of the falling man, flipped it horizontally and then laid it across the reflection. Here's the result:

-

As you can see the image hasn't simply been flipped about but there are certain differences which you'd expect from an actual reflection. Note the position of the hands and his sleeve.

I'm jumping on the "Held up by wires which were Photoshopped out after" bandwagon.

Posts: 14 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am with you on that. Your work on the reflection pretty much proves that the photo was taken in situ.

(If not, then whomever shopped it shows incredible attention to detail by rotating the point of view on the reflection!)

I am also pretty convinced that he is stationary. not because of the sharpness of the image, (IIRC the terminal velocity of a falling man is around 120 mph and I have taken sharper images of sportscars going a hell of a lot quicker than that)but because of the binding of the hands and the funny lump in the shorts.

Besides if he was falling, the person that grabbed him would probably dislocate their shoulders at best, or be pulled out of the window.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Well, it definitely looks like the reflection is "around further" than the original image of the man. I therefore conclude two photos of the man were placed into the picture, one for the reflection only.

The other logical conclusion is that it is a genuine picture, but it's just so clearly not. The reflection of the street, not sky, and the position of his feet in a clear "standing" position pretty much prove that.

It's getting more intriguing. [Smile] So it's a 'shop, but perhaps more complex than your usual tourist trap 'put yourself in the picture' thing.

--------------------

Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would the reflection be of the sky? I think you have not noticed that the framing is out and the whole image is tilted. The camera was not held straight. The horizon line runs roughly along the line of the fallers right thigh.

The window is vertical.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soft Hyphen
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soft Hyphen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Argh, for the last time, the reflection is fine. You should be able to see the streets at that angle.

If your brain is telling you otherwise, your brain is wrong.

And I don't know how you people look into mirrors, but if I press the side of my face against any reasonably-sized vertically-oriented mirror, I am able to see the ground.

Posts: 78 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gutter Monkey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gutter Monkey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
I am also pretty convinced that he is stationary. not because of the sharpness of the image, (IIRC the terminal velocity of a falling man is around 120 mph and I have taken sharper images of sportscars going a hell of a lot quicker than that)but because of the binding of the hands and the funny lump in the shorts.

Also his t-shirt is hanging loosely below him and not being whipped above him as it would if he was falling.

quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:

Besides if he was falling, the person that grabbed him would probably dislocate their shoulders at best, or be pulled out of the window.

They also wouldn't have time to actually grasp his hands. He'd be past them before they could interlock their fingers.

At first I thought that perhaps he'd been sucked out of the window somehow, but the more I look at it the more he seems to be stationary.

Posts: 14 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, there is another possible explaination...

Maybe he's superman. [Big Grin]

Seriously though, my initial thought was that this was rotated 90 degrees after it was taken, that originally he was doing a handstand, balanced on someone elses hands. I've seen tumblers do similar, and I thought maybe this was originally an advertising image or something. the tension on his hands suggested to me that he was taking his weight on them, and his T-shirt looks to me like its just starting to move down (up his body) as if he was just inverted, but I didnt notice his shoelaces hanging the other way until they were pointed out.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages