snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Hail-damaged airplane

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hail-damaged airplane
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was pretty sure we'd discussed these photos here before, but I couldn't find a link.

-------------------------------------

These photos are of the BaxGlobal plane that had a run in with 'Alberta
Hail' last week...The pilot managed to return and land at the Calgary
airport. This damage was inflicted upon the plane 5 minutes into the flight
after takeoff from Calgary. After managing to somehow bring the plane to a
safe landing, the pilot....QUIT !!! No shit, he basically got out of the
Cockpit and said..." I quit !!!"
Unreal !!!

Last night circa 2300 our BAX aircraft flight 705BX encountered severe weather over Alberta Canada. The aircraft was cruising at 35,000 feet when it encountered tennis ball sized hail. The pictures below show some of the damage. All landing lights were destroyed, as was the radar.
Amazingly, the engines continued to work. The crew was forced to make a "blind" emergency landing. Upon safe return to the ground the first officer and flight engineer quit. It is expected that the aircraft is a total loss as its structural integrity has been compromised.

-

-

-

-

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrekkerScout
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrekkerScout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That isn't a BAX Global plane. The plane in the photos has the color scheme for Capital Cargo International.
Posts: 306 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This site posted the pictures and received the following comment from someone claiming to be the pilot:

quote:
Dear Pilotguy71, The aircraft was is not a BAX aircraft. It was not flight 705BX. It was not in cruise flight. It was not at 35,000 feet. There was no way to measure the size of the hail much less compare it to sporting equipment. Only half of the landing lights were destroyed. Not only did we not make a "Blind" emergency landing we don't know what a one is. The Flight Engineer and I did not quit. And the aircraft was not a total loss. Pretty much the only thing you got right is that it was over Alberta, Canada. Please do some research next time.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its a cargo converson since all the windows are plugged. Its a older model plane like a 727. With those picture and it being dark it would take me some time to figure it out.

Anyways, definetly looks like hail damage. This is why they try and avoid thunder storms. It will be expencive to repair but not as expecive as scrapping the whole airplane.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the supposed pilot above, the damge does not seem that severe. Sure, the windows took some hits (although one of them looks all right), as did the landing lights (and probably the position lights as well). The nose looks bad, but remember that it's only thin plasic covering over the radar antenna, so it will not take much to break it. Some sheet metal should be replaced, but it's not enough damage to endanger the aircraft.

This will cost some money to fix, but it did not endanger the aircraft.

The main risk it is probably engine damage, but modern turbofan engines are surprisingly robust.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Matt H.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matt H.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Singing in the Drizzle:
Its a cargo converson since all the windows are plugged. Its a older model plane like a 727. With those picture and it being dark it would take me some time to figure it out.

Hint: Look at the eyebrow windows and the rear-mounted engines...

It's a 727.

--------------------
"Who needs the Bible? I've got this magic 8-ball."

Posts: 354 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt H.:
quote:

It's a 727.

Thanks I was pertty sure it was a 727, but it was late and I did not wish to wrong or spend time looking it up. I did not get the window when look at the picture but I did see the Kruger Flaps and was pertty sure 727s had then, not DC-9s.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Delta-V
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Delta-V     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More specificly, it's a 727-20, tail number N708AA. This website seems to have contacted the pilot and gotten the real story. According to that, the a/c is back in service.

--------------------
"My neighbor asked why anyone would need a car that can go 190 mph. If the answer isn't obvious, and explaination won't help." - Csabe Csere

Posts: 1225 | From: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a little curious how the left-side windscreen didn't appear to take any damge. It looks like the hail struck and damaged the front projection of the aircraft more or less uniformly except for the few square feet around the pilot's windscreen.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm a little curious how the left-side windscreen didn't appear to take any damge. It looks like the hail struck and damaged the front projection of the aircraft more or less uniformly except for the few square feet around the pilot's windscreen.
The wind can make it come slightly from one side, which makes a huge difference in angle. It's also important to remember that a windscreen is much weaker after it's been broken, so perhaps the broken one just took one exceptional hail, then the rest damaged the already broken glass with smaller hits that an undamaged glass would just have shrugged off.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt H.:
quote:

It's a 727.

Thanks I was pertty sure it was a 727, but it was late and I did not wish to wrong or spend time looking it up. I did not get the window when look at the picture but I did see the Kruger Flaps and was pertty sure 727s had then, not DC-9s.
The clue was in the in-cockpit photo! 1-2-3 !!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That is why we are trying to get an A-10 as our new storm penetration aircraft...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages