snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » The Boneyard

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Boneyard
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you that have never seen this, it is something to see.

The precision in the way they are parked is impressive.

It is difficult to comprehend the size of the "Boneyard" and the number of aircraft stored there.

Of course the important thing to remember is that they are all capable of being returned to flying condition if the need ever arises.

If you are ever in the Tucson area, the weekly tours of the boneyard are still given through the Pima Air Museum, located just south of Davis Monathan AFB.

Both the museum and the boneyard are very popular attractions in the Arizona desert.

It is difficult to comprehend the number of military aircraft in dead storage until you see these photographs!

Even if you have seen this before, look again.

The 3rd largest Air Force in the world is sitting on the ground here. It's the only unit in the U.S. Air Force that actually makes a profit.

-

-

-

-

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"...And this one here's a real beauty. Only flown on Sundays by a little old lady on her way to church."

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Of course the important thing to remember is that they are all capable of being returned to flying condition if the need ever arises.
Not true. Some can be can be restored to fly condition. Others are used for spare parts on planes still in service. Lastly some scrapped for various reason and recycled.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those are some really cool pictures. Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Plow
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 219 posted      Profile for Mr. Plow     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some good info & links to satellite photos that show how huge this place is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerospace_Maintenance_and_Regeneration_Center

Posts: 2 | From: Bartlett, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope some of these eventually make it to museums all over the world, preferably before they are destroyed to a point where they can't be restored to flying condition.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Donovan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Donovan   E-mail Donovan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's obviously a lot of vehicle trafic in and around the B-52s in the first and last pics. I wonder how much is that routine security wanderings and how much are crews looking for parts.

--------------------
Illius me paenitet, dux (Latin for fun and business)

"It's like trying to hawk pork chops at a kosher PETA banquet." - Esprise Me

Posts: 429 | From: Alabama | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mnotr2
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnotr2   E-mail mnotr2   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The traffic around the B-52s could be because they were being eliminated in accordance with the START Treaty. I believe all the B-52s at D-M AFB are gone now, cut up and turned into scrap metal.

--------------------
Infinite goodness is creating a being you know, in advance, is going to complain.
Captain Billy Cutshaw

Posts: 582 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 08 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've lived within a few miles of "The Boneyard" since I was 9 years old. There are two sections really the section the the plans can be made read to operate with in 48 hours (the picture with the fighters) and the scrap area. I believe that all of the B-52's have been moved to the scrap area for the last few years at least. Some have been destroyed, but not all. They chopped the wings off to destroy them since that could be easily confirmed by satelite.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages