snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Loose wheel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loose wheel
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 212 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.snopes.com/photos/automobiles/video/loosewheel.wmv
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know enough about plates outside the U.S. to identify it but do they bolt the duel wheels together in other countries?

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My SIL had her tires changed once and Wards forgot to put the lugs back on one tire. She got to see her tire fly across I-240 into a ditch just before her front left part of her car dropped down. She cut a nice grove in I-240 that may have finally been paved over (it was in the concrete section near Crossroads Mall). [Eek!]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doug, having worked in a garage and having done tire changes for 3 1/2 years, I find it hard to believe they could not notice at the garage. Having said that, it's amazing how many idiots are out there!

I hope your SIL was able to make them pay for damages.

--------------------

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 205 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
Doug, having worked in a garage and having done tire changes for 3 1/2 years, I find it hard to believe they could not notice at the garage. Having said that, it's amazing how many idiots are out there!

I hope your SIL was able to make them pay for damages.

It was the tire place at Wards (now gone). They put a whole new front end on her car. When she went back to them right after the accident, she over heard a conversation like:

"Was it Bob?"
"Yep, he did it again...." [Eek!]

Me thinks "Bob" was soon looking for another job...

Note, the name was actually NOT Bob, I forgot the exact name, and besides, I don't want to get the guy in anymore trouble.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

Yeah, we had a 25+ year veteran at the garage I worked at (Won't say the name but they carry Craftsman tools. [Wink] ) who kept making stupid mistakes. He didn't reconnect a fuel line. Twice. In one week. Both engines caught fire. One right in the parking lot.

--------------------

lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The video is awful. I wonder how injured the man was.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats

My guess is he was hurt pretty bad. Hubby and I played it a few times and then clicked through slowly. He seems to be trying to get up at one point and slumps back down. At that point the woman comes over.

I've had a 16" truck tire rolled to me to put away that didn't have a rim on it. It wasn't rolled very hard but it still hit my wrist just right that I didn't know if it was just sprained or broken. I couldn't imagine being hit by tires that appear to be duels from a truck connected together on a rim rolling at that speed.

--------------------

TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wowsers- talk about not seeing it coming. [Eek!]
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tribrats:
I don't know enough about plates outside the U.S. to identify it but do they bolt the duel wheels together in other countries?

It's a numbers-only plate, so it could be Israeli.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not too sure about that. The car is a Škoda Octavia, a model that has not sold widely outside of the Europe and the former Soviet Union. It doesn't seem to have headrests which would mark it as one of the lower end models. AFAIAA, they were never sold in the UK in that form and it is a right hand drive so not the UK or Ireland. Those variants were widely sold in Eastern Europe.

The woman is wearing clothes that I would associate with the Baltic states and her hair colour was fashionable in the region a couple of years back - though I note that the film is from this year. The labels on the camera are in English which suggests that it is not one of the states that uses the Cyrillic alphabet. However, I am unable to find a match for Stam as a word root for anything that seems meaningful in a European or Baltic language but the number plate is the right colour combination and format for Denmark but the number range is wrong for a private car. It is the wrong format for:

Austria
Belgium
Bulgaria
Croatia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece (right format, ZV is not one of their area codes)
Hungary
Ireland
The Netherlands
Norway (right format, ZV code for Alta but there is no tax stamp)
Poland
Romania
Russia
Serbia
Slovakia
Sweden

So, after considerable research, I really don't know :-) However, I haves learned a lot about car registration.

Blues "My inner geek is glowing" Scale

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After looking at it again, I agree that it reads ZV1 8275. I would still rule out many of the countries listed above (certainly not a Dutch plate, not even a temporary export plate).

It's not from a country using the Cyrillic alphabet. Also, it's a new car, so it must be a recent plate, but it doesn't have the country emblem on the right, which most (all?) European countries now use. Perhaps it's a temporary plate?

Apart from the lacking emblem, I would guess Czech Republic.

quote:
The labels on the camera are in English which suggests that it is not one of the states that uses the Cyrillic alphabet. However, I am unable to find a match for Stam as a word root for anything that seems meaningful in a European or Baltic language
I think it just reads "stand".
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
glass papaya
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glass papaya   E-mail glass papaya   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Someone DH used to work with was killed when the duals flew off a semi and crashed through his windshield.
Posts: 544 | From: Onalaska, WI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rob D / Blackwolf, the yule dodo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Removed because my pants are too tight, can't read...

--------------------
~Reality, the refuge of those who fail in RPGs~
aka Darkfist Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Posts: 334 | From: Lancaster, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BluesScale:
However, I am unable to find a match for Stam as a word root for anything that seems meaningful in a European or Baltic

I think it is not "Stam" but "Stani 4" and I guess it means something like "pump 4"

Stani could be shortened, now we need to find out which language uses something with "Stani" as a word for gaspump or pump [Smile]

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Maybe it's short for Stanice, which is Czech for Station?

ETA: Look halfway the page for another example

Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, that could be. But the czech license plate starts number letter number...

Now we need to find out what kind of gas stations there are in the Czech Republic, so we can match the colors.

Gavida

--------------------

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That could be 2V1 - and the Czech republic is awash with Škodas. It would also make sense that there were no headrests. However, the missing crest is an issue.

Blues

P.s. Always nice to meet another Browncoat.

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Well, this plate is hard to sort out. 2V1 wouldn't be a czech license plate as well, they don't have a region that is represented by the letter "V".
And from what I read the system is Number Regioncode-Letter Number.

Now I will return to my search for a site that has pictures of plates (german Wiki isn't too bad, but didn't find the format from the clip there)

Gavida

PS: I am glad you aren't a Purplebelly [Wink]

--------------------

jamira
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamira         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just because the plate is from one country, does not necessarily mean the video was taken in that country. We have cars from the States in Canada all the time, and in Europe, I have seen cars from France in Germany, Germany in Russia, Switzerland in Italy...you get the idea. Depending on whether the truck wheels were loose from the lug nuts, or the hub completely came off, it's very possible for duals to stay together when coming off a truck or trailer.
Posts: 44 | From: Boundary, BC, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dyfsunctional
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dyfsunctional   E-mail dyfsunctional   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I notice he didn't pay for the gas; he just got out of the car and started pumping. I don't know about anywhere else, but I've never been in a gas station where you didn't have to pay before you got the gas.
Posts: 90 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dyfsunctional:
I notice he didn't pay for the gas; he just got out of the car and started pumping. I don't know about anywhere else, but I've never been in a gas station where you didn't have to pay before you got the gas.

It's standard here to fill your car first, then pay for the petrol. I've never been to or heard of a petrol station that required me to pay up-front. Mostly you have to visit a cashier to pay, but there are some stations with a credit card reader attached. Even so you insert your card after filling up.

Not that I've used every petrol station in the UK.

I can't say if it's the same in other countries though.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's fill first here, too. How do you pay first when you don't know how much you're going to be able to fit in your tank?

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Really?

Until gas got so high several years ago and drive offs became common, I don't think I had ever paid for gas before I pumped but maybe a few times in my whole life, since I started driving in 1978. And I drove and lived in big cities including Houston, Dallas, Albuquerque and Austin as well as small towns. Always pumped first and then paid.

I have only driven in America though - it's entirely possible other countries are not the same.

eta but now, I can't think of any of the places I've driven in Texas, Arkansas or New Mexico in the past two years that didn't require payment first. It's an real hassle: you have to just guess at how much you want, go in and pay and if you paid too much, go back for change.

Or, just give in and pay for all your gas with a credit card in the pay-at-the-pump card reader. *shrug* Oh well.

hijack - when this first started happening, before I got a gas card,I was traveling acrost Tejas and stopped in a Love's to fill up. I only had a one hundred dollar bill. There was a long line for the cashier and it was a VERY busy travel center with lots of folks coming and going and when I asked the woman, "how am I supposed to fill up, I only have a hundred?" instead of saying "oh, just fill up and then pay me" (which they usually did) she said "I'll give you change after you fill up."

I said, "how do I know you'll remember who I am to give me the change?" She gave me a nasty exasperated look and said "well I GUESS I can give you a reciept" and I said, "yes, you can." Which I damn sure made sure she did - it didn't seem she was doing that as a matter of procedure with everyone and she acted like I was nuts to dare to question her.

They can't trust me not to drive off with their gas but I'm supposed to trust them with 70 dollars of my change, in a very busy station in a strange town with a surly unfriendly attendant.

Right.

snap* "I don't remember you giving me a hundred dollar bill" *dragonfly

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's fill first in Ontario, too, but you have the option of prepaying, by debit or credit. I think some stations in the city (Toronto) switch their pumps to pay-first at night.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Other than some inner-city stations and a few others late at night, it's pump, then pay here in the Twin Cities, and most other places I've been to in the U.S. Of course, most places have Pay at the Pump now, so that kind of blurs the distinction if you're not paying attention.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ceiling Fan
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ceiling Fan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Finland it's mainly fill first, pay then. In most stations there are two kinds of pumps: the ones you pay up front with a credit or depit card (or, in some places, cash) and the ones where you fill your car up first and then go pay at the cashier.

Here is an increasing number of gas stations without the actual "station", that have only the gas pumps. There you need to insert your card (or the cash) and then you can fill up your car. The needed amount is then charged from your account.

Only when you're using the "Visa Electron" card at the pump, you first need to set a maximum amount of money you'll want to spend. (Is Visa Electron known in the States?)

--------------------
~Why Dance to Someone Else's Tune?~

Posts: 15 | From: Oulu, Finland | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

In the former Soviet Union it was (and in rural places still is) pay first, then fill.

If you bought too much, be sure to have a canister at hand.

What made it even worse is that they had these dark pay booths with tiny gridded windows where you could barely see the cashier. Sure, you could write it down and lay the cash on the counter, but even then you would occasionally have cashiers pretending to be unable to read.

Debunker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Debunker   E-mail Debunker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No comments on the actions of the woman? She runs over, puts the hose back in the pump, then runs off? Didn't even stop to ask the guy if he's all right?

--------------------
"A minibar is a machine that makes everything expensive." - Mitch Hedberg RIP

Posts: 230 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Debunker:
No comments on the actions of the woman? She runs over, puts the hose back in the pump, then runs off? Didn't even stop to ask the guy if he's all right?

The impression I get is that she runs over to the pump and replaces it as a first priority to prevent further fuel spillage. Then she runs off to find a telephone or otherwise summon help for the man. Seems like a reasonable course of action to me.

ETA judging by the green lapels and green breast pocket badges on her coveralls, which match the petrol satation livery, it appears likely she is an employee. She also runs back towards where she came from - the kiosk maybe?

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages