snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Garbage Truck Home

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Garbage Truck Home
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 37 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WHO IN THE WORLD WOULD WANT TO LOOK LIKE THEY WERE CAMPING IN A GARBAGE TRUCK???!! Until you look inside!

Got a spare garbage truck, you can turn it into a motor home. Guess this proves that with plenty of money, a good imagination and some engineering, you can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jof
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How come there's windows on the inside - but not outside?

--------------------
Shoot the messenger.

Posts: 14 | From: Widnes, Cheshire, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the side window at the back might be that square panel (in other words, it's shuttered in the external photo) but you're right - that doesn't explain the kitchen window...

(edit) Or the actual back window, which would have to be where that motorbike it. Or the front window above the sleeping area, which would have to open into the cab.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Look in pictures #2 and #3. The top is "popped up". When driving it is dropped down over the windows in question.

ETA - and contains the one in the front, BTW.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MacLloyd
God Rest Ye Merry Merchants

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MacLloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The inside photos may not match the exact vehicle being shown, but this class of vehicles does indeed exist:
Linky

and
Main Page

ETA: this explains the windows:
It's a pop-up!

MacLloyd

--------------------
"May you make the Yuletide pay!"

Posts: 811 | From: Arcadia, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang! You beat me to it, but not by much.

the actual product page.

ETA: Macloyd, it's actually this "sold" 6 X 6, which includes the pics here, not the 4 X 4.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheLazenby
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheLazenby   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheLazenby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's friggin' awesome! :-)

Kind of reminded me of the Viva La Bam episode where they converted a garbage truck (the typical cramped American kind) into a limo...

--------------------
Rest in Peace, Charles Rocket 1949-2005

"On behalf of Gail Matthius and the entire Weekend Update news team, I'm Charles Rocket. Good night, and... watch out."

Posts: 140 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abbubmah:
Look in pictures #2 and #3. The top is "popped up". When driving it is dropped down over the windows in question.

ETA - and contains the one in the front, BTW.

Oh yes - clever... I like it!
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
justusfour
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justusfour     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am SO buying one [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Is there anything fluffier than a cloud? If there is, I don't want to know about it."

Posts: 66 | From: Cowtown TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justusfour:
I am SO buying one [Big Grin]

From this link, I won't be.
quote:
Price
List price: 841.348 Euro

ETA: The decimal point is misplaced in the article. I don't know if this is 841 thousand, 84 thousand or 8 thousand.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jw:
quote:
Price

ETA: The decimal point is misplaced in the article. I don't know if this is 841 thousand, 84 thousand or 8 thousand.
That's no decimal point. It's just a separator to make it more easily readable, so it's 841 thousand.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperGoten
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperGoten   E-mail SuperGoten   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't the . used in place of the comma in some countries? so that would be 841,348 euros. wow.
Posts: 60 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sweden use the comma as decimal sign, and use spaces or sometimes (but rarely as it's not recommended because of the risk of misunderstanding) periods to divide groups of three digits for readability.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
quote:
Originally posted by jw:
quote:
Price

That's no decimal point. It's just a separator to make it more easily readable, so it's 841 thousand.
I find it hard to believe that anyone would spend 841 thousand euro on a motor home. Did I miss the gold plated fittings?
I would believe 84 at a push...does anyone else know about this van? I watched the video from the link and other than crawling over a sand hump it's not like it's got massive handling capabilities in comparison to other motorhomes.

I've viewed this site a few times before, and would offer the comparison to top of the range new models here.

I was thinking of buying one in the next few years and would expect to pay about 30 thousand for a decent second-hand van and perhaps 70 thousand for a top of the range new jobbie...

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jamira
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamira         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me, or does the bottom photo, with it on the road, look a little "off"? The shadows under don't look right, as well as the perspective in relation to the road lines and tires.
Posts: 44 | From: Boundary, BC, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jamira:
Is it just me, or does the bottom photo, with it on the road, look a little "off"? The shadows under don't look right, as well as the perspective in relation to the road lines and tires.

Looks fine to me.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's fine. Can't see anything wrong with the shadows and the distortion of perspective is just due to a wide angle lens.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages