snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » "Forced perspective" photos

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Forced perspective" photos
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 102 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My uncle sent me an email that had about 12 photos showing how forced perspective can make things funny (Oh, a guy using his foot to hold up the Leaning Tower! How original!) Most of them are that simple, but there are a few that make me say, "Forced perspective or Photoshopping?", so maybe you can help me figure them out, if you've seen them before.

Soccer player with a LONG arm

Gymnast missing a head in mid-leap

Cat sticking it's head through a fence while another same colored cat's head peeks through the other way

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My quick appraisal is that the gymnast photo is faked. There is a line across her shoulders that doesn't seem right. Also, while it is possible that she is flexible enough to bend her head back far, I don't think the angle of her chest and shoulders is correct for bending back her head.

The arm one is probably real. The shirt of the middle player is pulled up and wrinkled just like it would be if he were raising up his arm like in the picture. And the arm that you see the hand on is not a clone of the arm of the player on the right like it would be if faked.

The cat is possibly real. Cats poke their heads through stuff all the time. But the hole where the head is visible doesn't appear to be big enough. The hole is tight against the cat's neck and the skull of a cat is bigger than the neck.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
first pic: number thirteen has extended his arm to gesture to something off-camera, with the end of his arm behind number 9. number 9 is gesturing to the same thing, but with his shoulder blocked by 10.

second: not sure, tho suspect she's just leant it back really, really far.

and the last one could be another cat, on the other side of the fence, with similar colouring.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soft Hyphen
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soft Hyphen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Uh, the "arm" one is simple. Players numbers 13 and 9 (in yellow) are making the same hand gesture. It looks like one extra-long arm but it's actually two normal ones.

ETA: Too slow, must post faster!

Posts: 78 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's obvious that the soccer player was born with four arms -- even the most casual glance reveals that he has two right arms. But for convenience, he must have had his second left arm grafted to the end of his first.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking that it might be #9's arm (in the soccer photo), except it seems to be incredibly short (where's the upper arm, if it's extended like that? It would have to be in an extremely odd bent position from the way he's standing) and smaller compared to his other arm if it is. My other guess would be someone further back in the field, blocked from view of the two players in the foreground, who's also extending an arm, but I dunno...

Trish "But then, you're not allowed to use arms in soccer, so it's okay" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seltaeb
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seltaeb     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Photo-chow
Posts: 109 | From: Lenexa, Kansas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seltaeb:
Photo-chow

Ah, thanks for that. Although that thread doesn't really answer my questions here, it's nice to know I'm too stoopid this morning to try a Search first.

Hmm...oddly enough, the email my uncle sent didn't have the photo of the woman blending into the window and wall, but did have other pics not at that site.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Sharpened Steel
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sharpened Steel   E-mail Sharpened Steel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
I was thinking that it might be #9's arm (in the soccer photo), except it seems to be incredibly short (where's the upper arm, if it's extended like that? It would have to be in an extremely odd bent position from the way he's standing) and smaller compared to his other arm if it is. My other guess would be someone further back in the field, blocked from view of the two players in the foreground, who's also extending an arm, but I dunno...

Trish "But then, you're not allowed to use arms in soccer, so it's okay" DaDish

The reason it seems short is because it's angled toward the camera. Number 13 has his arm straight out to the right, but Number 9 has flung his arm so that he's actually indicating an area farther forward than 13. I'm sure they're indicating the same thing, it's one of those "you know what I'm talking about so I'm going to just throw my arm in that general direction."

I agree that the gymnast picture looks fake...if her head really was back that far, I would imagine that her shoulders would be angled back even farther than they are.

I see no reason that the cat one is *definately* faked, although it still could be. The hole doesn't seem that small, plus we can't see what it looks like on the other side of the cat's head, there might be more space over there. Other than that, while it may be a big coincidence, it certainly isn't impossible that two similarly colored cats poked their heads through the fence at the same time.

--------------------
Get used to his bad habits and decide whether you can put up with them...the rest of your life. 'Cause if you don't, then one day, you find yourself in the shed, sharpening the axe and idly wondering how thick the human skull really is.
-ChickyBee

Posts: 64 | From: Bristol, Rhode Island/Columbia, Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the football player should try basketball instead.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that's really a chow, as the discussions are different.

Steel has the football player one adequately explained. I'm sure the gymnast thing is possible, but I don't have any relevant experience to make that claim. But the cat one? No probs. Here's a hint on the whole "cats' heads are wider than their necks" thing - cats are fluffy.

Many people have more than one cat of the same colour, possibly from the same litter. Cats are inquisitive, always sticking heads through holes somewhere for a look. This kind of photo is cute, and has great timing, but hardly even surprising let alone potentially 'shopped.

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the gymnast photo is genuine.

According to this site http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/4285/ the headless gymnast photo appeared in Yahoo News photos. Alas, the Yahoo link no longer works. But I've no reason to not believe it's a genuine Yahoo News photo.

Also, a quick Google shows a few other "headless gymnast" photos. I guess they could all be fake, but more likely is that they are genuine.

Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
BTW, the yellow team in the soccer picture is the Australian soccer team. It looks like the photo is from their 2006 world cup game against Japan.
Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 101 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Seltaeb:
Photo-chow

Ah, thanks for that. Although that thread doesn't really answer my questions here, it's nice to know I'm too stoopid this morning to try a Search first.
Btw, Seltaeb, I wasn't being snotty at you with my comment about your CHOWing me, I was pretty much being silly and chastising myself. Just hit me now that you can't read my silly voice or see me clonking myself on the head with a fish. And so I'll correct myself:

[fish] (For not checking the Search before posting. Bad TrishdaDish! Bad! What kind of example are you to the others?!)

[fish] [fish] (For not realising people can't tell you're typing with a silly voice. Trish, you idiot!)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[fish] [fish] (For not realising people can't tell you're typing with a silly voice. Trish, you idiot!)

[lol] You & me, Trish!

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ravynwriter
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ravynwriter   E-mail ravynwriter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cats can fit into incredibly small spaces...pretty much anywhere a cat can fit its head through, it can get its whole body through (unless its obese or has a problem that prevents its limbs from moving easily and freely.

I have no doubts that those cats could stick their heads through very small holes like that. The heads look bigger because as someone else said...cats are fluffy.

Posts: 58 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The scissors one had me baffled...I'm learning Spanish pretty well but I had to show hubby b/c I just didn't get it. The message @ the bottom makes it disturbing though.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pretty sure the gymnast one is real. Those chicks are flexible... some even to the point of contortionism.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
The scissors one had me baffled...I'm learning Spanish pretty well but I had to show hubby b/c I just didn't get it. The message @ the bottom makes it disturbing though.

Which scissors picture? I'm confused.
And I agree with the people above, cats and mice can get their bodies and heads through extremely small things, I don't doubt that's how the cat did it.

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrigan
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morrigan   E-mail Morrigan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The scissors picture is on this page:

More deceiving pictures.

Morrigan

--------------------
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost, Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening

Posts: 1701 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
wow, that scissors picture is really creepy.

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get the scissors picture - at least, not why it's included. It's just a Spanish magazine advert condemning violence against women, isn't it? It's not meant to look like the scissors are really cutting up the woman. Or is it the fact that it's a magazine containing a photo of some scissors that are supposedly cutting the page?
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages