snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Secret EC Comics Penis? (possibly NFBSK)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Secret EC Comics Penis? (possibly NFBSK)
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reading the story about the phallic Little Mermaid spire when I remembered something I'd stumbled across years ago. It's from one of my reprint EC comics (the same company that printed "Tales From the Crypt") called, I believe, "Weird Science/Fantasy." I can browse through my collection and try to find it again if anyone's interested enough. But I digress - on to the image:

Friends and family have been able to see what I'm talking about, but they all seem to think I'm reading way too much into it, and that the drawing isn't intentional. What's your take on it?

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you're reading way too much into it and the symbolism isn't intentional.

As DH said when we watched some show with one of those "they're having sex" montages of images "Isn't it amazing how many perfectly normal things can look phallic?"

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks intentional to me. I think the head of the "penis" is too clearly defined for it to be an accident.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Camino
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Camino   E-mail El Camino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oho, there's definitely symbolism. Notice how they people are down near the bottom where the balls should be? Clearly the author is commenting on how we humans are the veritable balls of planet earth! The similarity lies in humanity's drive to expand and take over, destroying everything in our path. But we have a choice and may or may not take this cancerous path and destroy all of the earth...just like testicles and their potential for cancer. However, despite this risk, many men would rather keep their balls to make life interesting. The author is clearly saying that earth is better off with humans to make it interesting, despite the risk we pose to long term survival.

Oh, and cars are clearly symbolic of pubic hair. Just...because.

Posts: 1048 | From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by landmammal:
It looks intentional to me. I think the head of the "penis" is too clearly defined for it to be an accident.

That's what gets me. It's like the artist was saying "Just in case you think it's accidental, I'll highlight the glans for you!"

--------------------

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's supposed to represent a glans, I'm a little disturbed that it's green...

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

All books can be indecent books
Though recent books are bolder
For filth, I'm glad to say, is in
The mind of the beholder
When correctly viewed
Everything is lewd
I could tell you things about Peter Pan
And the Wizard of Oz, there's a dirty old man

From Smut by Tom Lehrer

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
murmurzz
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for murmurzz   E-mail murmurzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh, and it says "swell" in the cel below. Coincidence? I think not!

--------------------
www.myspace.com/murmurzz <--- psst, I need friends. Bad.

Posts: 167 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bear in mind that often in comics there is a penciller, an inker, a colourist and a letterer working on the same episode.

Maybe the penciller sketched something pointy, the inker added a couple of lines and finally the colourist thought "ha ha if I do the top bit green it looks just like... a thingy!"

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
atimnie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atimnie   E-mail atimnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't trust those perverted colorists.
Posts: 70 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
inkiemouse
Let It Wasabi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inkiemouse   Author's Homepage   E-mail inkiemouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boyfriend says it looks like a person o.o He just gave me the whole outline of it.

I see a deformed penis.

--------------------
A dyslexic man walks into a bra.

Posts: 541 | From: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, are y'all's peni that lumpy? Mine's not.

Looks about as much like a penis to me as it does the Loch Ness Monster. And I've seen the latter [Wink]

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
very, very phallic.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bjohn13
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bjohn13     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's not a penis, what is it supposed to be?
Posts: 23 | From: Fargo, ND | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent

quote:
Originally posted by murmurzz:
Oooh, and it says "swell" in the cel below. Coincidence? I think not!

Yeah, and the story starts with them searching for bones. [Big Grin] I guess they found one!

You folks are just as divided as everyone else I've shown this to! We must also take into account that EC was always under fire for the content of their comics. Maybe they snuck this in and made it just vague enough so that anyone who raised a clamour could be labeled a weiner-seeking pervert.

--------------------

Gutter Monkey
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gutter Monkey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thus continues the long history of subliminal penises in comicbooks.

A more recent case was on the cover of the 1992 comic book "Lobo's Back" issue 2 where a heavily muscled character seems to have a penis on her arm. The artist has always claimed that it wasn't intentional.

Article

Posts: 14 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages