snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Lords of the Logistic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lords of the Logistic
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was sent this by my best friend, and all I have to say is HOLY WHOA!!!

Lords of the Logistic

Does anyone know anything about this???

Lady "im-freakin'-PRESSED" Moon

EDIT: to correct spelling. I'm so impressed I forgot how to spell 'anything'.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if they're all real, but things I can personally attest to having seen while living in Asia:

Refrigerator on a bicycle
Two kids on a scooter with dad
Guy with a bunch of egg crates on a moped
The fish in the big basins on the back of a motorcycle
Family of 5 on a motorcycle

A common scene which used to disturb me was the propane delivery guy. All the stoves ran off 3-4ft high propane tanks, and you'd see guys on 50cc Honda scooters driving around with 3 or 4 of them bungeed on the back.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fun with a 9mm
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fun with a 9mm   E-mail Fun with a 9mm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's just nuts!! Those poor piggies!

Frankly, I wouldn't get on a motorcycle for all the shekels in Albania, having sat for 3 days at my brother's hospital bedside, he in a coma after an accident.

I understand that motorbikes are "the" mode of transport in some nations, but these people are extremely crazed.

--------------------
I'm not mean, you're just a big sissy. -Happy Bunny

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.- Verbal Kint

Trespassers will be pelted with jellyfish.- Daniel Cluley

Posts: 221 | From: Bradenton, FL | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BohdiTree
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BohdiTree     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor Pigs and chickens!
Posts: 3 | From: Pensacola, FL | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I cvan believe most pictures except perhaps #4 (Bicycle on a rope. Not sure how he holds the bicycle, and why it's not just hooked on the cable) and, maybe, #2 (Refrigerator on bicycle. Center of gravity seems too far off).
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh. We had these pics sent around at work with the caption "The fun that Health & Safety denies us".

Some of them I can believe, others I'm not so sure. I'm especially having trouble with #12 (car body on the bike) - that one at least has to be photoshopped. I can't believe that you could carry something that big like that without tipping the bike - and the shadow underneath looks too small anyhow.

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of those don't seem too odd to me; I've seen too many legitimate magazine/journal photos of Asian bike deliveries that look that way. Since I was a kid I've always wondered how they balanced themselves with huge loads on their bikes.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy:

Some of them I can believe, others I'm not so sure. I'm especially having trouble with #12 (car body on the bike) - that one at least has to be photoshopped. I can't believe that you could carry something that big like that without tipping the bike - and the shadow underneath looks too small anyhow.

In that pic, it is a backwards trike with a single wheel behind a pair. Or possibly a quad, I can not tell if there is a fourth wheel out in front. It wouldn't tip even if he got off and walked away. The shadow is small because it is midday. I don't see a problem with it.
The guy on the wire with the bike looks funny to me, I can't tell what is holding the bike up. I wonder if there is some sort of hook or tie on the far side of the bike to attach it to the wire, so that all he need do is push it along.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm - looking at #12 again, I think you could be right. There does seem to be a suggestion of a fourth wheel at the front.

I agree with Joostik on #2 (fridge on the bike) - the centre of gravity doesn't seem right.

Had to chuckle at #7, though (grass clippings) - it looks like a krynoid on a bike!

ETA: with #12 I was actually thinking of the bike tipping forwards, rather than sideways.

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mizzie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizzie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In all honesty, I would believe most of these. I took a trip to Malaysia a few years back and, although I didn't see anything odd on those little moterbikes, I did see how popular they are. For a lot of people, they are the only mode of transportation. If that's all you have and you need to get something from one place to another, that's what you do, right?

Although I do agree that the 'fridge one seems a little off and when I saw the car one I thought "yeah right!" But, the car is just the frame, without any seats, engine or tires. Just the frame, which would make it a heck of a lot lighter then a whole car. Those frames really aren't that heavy, in comparision.

Posts: 41 | From: Baxter, MN | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
desertdweller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertdweller   E-mail desertdweller   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a Thai wife and have spent a great deal of time in South East Asia. These photos are just the tip of the iceberg. I am alway amazed to see the amount of weight and the balancing act when goods and people are transported on motorbikes and bicycles. What's even more amazing is that, in a traffic jam, people with loads like this will cut between cars and weave in and out. I tip my hat to them.

--------------------
Just singin' in the Bahrain

Posts: 49 | From: Manama, Bahrain | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That refrigerator is much smaller than the garden variety American suburban model, and is, of course, empty. It probably doesn't weigh over 50lbs. Assuming the bike rider is a little more than than, it's not too much of a stretch to see it on a bike.

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lords of the Logistic maybe, but not Lords of Safety...

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Quantum Leap

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quantum Leap   E-mail Quantum Leap   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Familiarity breeds complaints. My husband works for US Postal Service...doubt if he'll ever complain again after seeing this.
Posts: 24 | From: Bridge City, Texas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Towknie:
I don't know if they're all real, but things I can personally attest to having seen while living in Asia:

Refrigerator on a bicycle
Two kids on a scooter with dad
Guy with a bunch of egg crates on a moped
The fish in the big basins on the back of a motorcycle
Family of 5 on a motorcycle

A common scene which used to disturb me was the propane delivery guy. All the stoves ran off 3-4ft high propane tanks, and you'd see guys on 50cc Honda scooters driving around with 3 or 4 of them bungeed on the back.

I often saw a family of four on a motor scooter in Asia. Dad riding, Mum behind him, and two kids on the foot board.
Plus one not shown here - a group of people on the top of a train.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Clarity
Toys to the World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarity   E-mail Clarity   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People do that kind of thing in America, too. Maybe not the shark, or the pigs, but i've seen some heavy loads on bikes. Especially here in Portland, which has an energetic bike culture of folks who believe we can do anything on a bike you can in a car. I've seen entire household moves (fridge, sofa, table, chairs, boxes of stuff) all carried by bike across town. We tend to use trikes and trailers though...

--------------------
Kevin: Pink Bunkadoo?
Randall: Yeah. Beautiful tree that was. Og designed it. 600 feet high, bright red, and smelled terrible.

Posts: 71 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages