snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Suicide by M-100 (NSFW and NFBSK)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suicide by M-100 (NSFW and NFBSK)
Skypacer
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Skypacer   E-mail Skypacer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The following pictures are suppose to be those of a man who stuck an M-100 firecracker in his mouth and lit the fuse. I say "suppose" because the scene looks a little too clean to me. Besides the stream of blood on the ground coming from the guy's massive wound, there's no blood splatter on the shirt or anywhere else on his clothing and the body looks like someone laying down on the pavement. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

[Eek!] Warning: Fake or not, these images are pretty intense. [Eek!]
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4

Posts: 3 | From: Sunman, IN | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Marci157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marci157     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks fake to me. There would be blood and tissue ALL OVER the place if it were for real.
Posts: 22 | From: Katy, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Legion600
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion600   E-mail Legion600   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fake. The blood on the ground doesn't even look real.

--------------------
Yes. I'm Evil. What's your point?

Posts: 199 | From: Bowling Green, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Skypacer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skypacer   E-mail Skypacer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, Marci, althought it didn't occur to me at the time. If it is fake, they did a good job on the blood. Most of the time, the fake blood I see always looks clear and dark red. They took the time to add some white opaqueness to it.
Posts: 3 | From: Sunman, IN | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stoneage Dinosaur
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stoneage Dinosaur   E-mail Stoneage Dinosaur   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The photos can also be seen at this site - link NSFW. They claim the sucide took place in Ohio in mid-September 2004, and have highlighted supposed remnants of the M-100 in the pictures.

--------------------
"You learn something new every day if you're not careful" - Wilf Lunn

Posts: 893 | From: Durham City, England | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dlloyd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dlloyd     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote it's real. And nasty.

There may well be tissue all over the place... the body has been blown backwards and the tissue will have largely been ejected in the other direction and/or vapourised.

Posts: 99 | From: Dundee | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spc. Sharki   E-mail Spc. Sharki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I too vote real. I once took a combat lifesaver course and they showed a photo of some numbnut who put a blasting cap in his mouth. Amazingly, he lived but his injuries looked just like this.

--------------------
Let your TV bleed- Tom Petty

Posts: 329 | From: Wiesbaden, Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Skypacer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skypacer   E-mail Skypacer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm beginning to think that maybe those photos weren't faked. I came across an image of a man who put some sort of explosive in his mouth while he was drunk. The injuries look similar to the photos I first sent.

Scroll half-way down the page to see the new image.

Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Skypacer:
Well, I'm beginning to think that maybe those photos weren't faked. I came across an image of a man who put some sort of explosive in his mouth while he was drunk. The injuries look similar to the photos I first sent.

Exploded-face-a-chow

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mementoed
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mementoed   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mementoed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote real.

The inner evil in me chuckled when I saw the emblem on his blue shirt.

Real, but he died fast. Didn't even struggle much. I believe the reason for lack of blood on his shirt is due to the force of the explosion being contained in his head/mouth and that he likely fell before any blood could leak down the front of his shirt.

This is why I stick to sparklers.

Posts: 36 | From: Texas! | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Virulaceous
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Virulaceous   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me, or is he holding his lighter backwards? I know that I would have a helluva time lighting anything holding the lighter like that.

--------------------
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Posts: 86 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Virulaceous:
Is it just me, or is he holding his lighter backwards? I know that I would have a helluva time lighting anything holding the lighter like that.

I've just tried a brief experiment with a similar lighter, although I chose to use a cigarette rather than a firework. [Big Grin] It feels a bit un-natural to hold the lighter that way round, but it's not at all difficult.

ETA Looking at the photo again, it seems he his holding the lighter the same way I usually do. But the point is that turning it round doesn't make lighting anything more difficult.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spc. Sharki   E-mail Spc. Sharki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

That is very photo I was refering to. That is the idiot who put a blasting cap in his mouth because he needed to uses his hands.

--------------------

Posts: 329 | From: Wiesbaden, Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Spc. Sharki:
quote:

That is the very same photo I was refering to. That is the idiot who put a blasting cap in his mouth because he needed to uses his hands.
I just noticed that caption says drinking was involved. It had not heard that version of the story before.

--------------------

Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Legion600:
Fake. The blood on the ground doesn't even look real.

Are you sure about that? In my experience that's how a large quantity of blood looks when it's on the ground.

ETA: Granted, my experiences with scenes like this are few, but I have seen some where there is more blood on the ground than that and it's always looked like that.

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks real enough to me, I've never seen somebody who blew their face off with an explosive but I have seen people shot in the face and one who crashed their motorcycle into a guardrale and hit face first (open faced helmet) and they looked resonably similar.

As for the blood, dosn't look that abnormal to me, and I've seen a fair amount of it, though to be fair we don't know how long after the incedent these pictures were taken.

As for the lighter, sorry no experiance with how lighters are normally held by people wishing to do massive facial damage via explosives [Smile]

Overall I'd vote real.

-Mike

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How did he manage not to get blood on his arms?Or shirt? Why is it all in a little stream, as opposed to a wide spray? You all say the blood looks real; it may be real blood. The evidence does not hold with it happening by an explosive though. Think of a firecracker in a pumpkin, you get peices of pumpkin all over. Even if you go with the theory that the skull held in some of the force of the explosion, the guy's mouth and lower jaw would have been the weak links. There should be blood and injuries to the neck. The picture is faked.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not looking at the pics. I've seen enough of that for one lifetime, thank you. But I will point out that most people who talk about things looking "unrealistic" have no idea what realistic violence looks like.

Additionally, I'd say Mickey Blue is probably the one with the most current experience with that sort of thing, so I'm highly inclined to accept his explanation.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, an explosion would likely have blown all the matter outward and away from him, all pictures are from the front back or close ups so you can't see what the area looks like in front of him where the projectiles would have gone.. In addition (I honestly have no idea what kind of firepower an M-100 has) he could have been pushed backwards.. After he was down more blood could have come out of his wounds, forming that small stream.

That would pretty well explain the lack of blood on his shirt and around him, it would have been kicked mostly forward and he could have gone down fairly quick before any could have made it down to his shirt.

There is no way for me to know if this is real or not, or if it is real if it was caused by an M-100 or not, but I see no reason to suspect the trauma itself is not real, and the story dosn't sound all that far fetched.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Following on from Mickey Blues first point in the previous post does anyone recall that slow-motion film of a suspended apple being shot with a rifle bullet? Most of the ejecta (is that the right word?) travels forwards, in the direction from which the bullet came. Much to my surprise when I first saw it. So It seems plausible that the ejecta was sprayed forward as the guy was falling backwards.

ETA: A still image. though I'm sure I've seen a slo-mo version.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
Following on from Mickey Blues first point in the previous post does anyone recall that slow-motion film of a suspended apple being shot with a rifle bullet?

You mean the one from the CSI opening credits?

...I am such a geek.

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
Exploded-face-a-chow

This is totally off topic, but how did you find such an old post? Sometimes I search for posts from one year ago and don't have any luck.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlight:
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
Exploded-face-a-chow

This is totally off topic, but how did you find such an old post? Sometimes I search for posts from one year ago and don't have any luck.
As that thread was a couple of years old I searched the archives instead of current topics. It also helped that I managed to enter some key words that were actually used there.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TMI for those who don't want to know what's in the picture

I'm not sure about the intact blue eye peering out over the... injury. If the eyeball looked that normal (ie with blue iris intact, no misting of pupil, etc) it would be intact, and if the eyeball were intact, we would probably be able to see the globe from the inside of the skull inside what remained of the socket.

It may be possible to blow your face off and leave one eye (as recent pictures here of the man who shot himself in the face show), but the eye in this picture looks almond-shaped, rather than a ball, which is what we might see if that much of the tissue had been removed.

Apart from that, I've no idea.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti Neon:

It may be possible to blow your face off and leave one eye

IIRC one of the pics showed both eyes... not looking again so sorry if I'm mistaken. I'd guess that the cheek bone did a part in protecting the eyes.

On a side note- what a pleasant surprise to scroll down and see "Motorcycle Man" on that other page...ewwww. didn't stay at the site long but the blast cap theory makes sense to me- never heard it before that.

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages