snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » The new Benz

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The new Benz
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My uncle sent me this one. I tried to look it up, but all I get is game player sites saying "KEWL CAR!!!! I WANT 1!!!!"

quote:
The new Benz - Very different....really different! ....SCROLL DOWN...

car pic 1

This is the new Mercedes Benz SCL600.

car pic 2

This car is really different.

car pic 3

That's not what is different about it.

car pic 4

That either.

car pic 5

.....and now for the 'really different' part:

car pic 6

Here is what is different.

car pic 7

No steering wheel, you drive it with a joystick. No pedals either.
Can you drive with a joystick? Your kids and grand-kids probably can.
The influence of video games in our lives has really arrived, wouldn't ya say?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's scary: the £6m Mercedes without a steering wheel (The Times, October 17, 2004)

It's a prototype for a "drive by wire" concept, although there aren't enough pictures in the article to tell whether it's about the same model as the one shown. (From the picture of the interior, it looks like an earlier prototype - the joystick and dashboard styling is different.)

quote:
The only problem is that the ground-breaking system is currently illegal on public roads: European rules specify there must be a mechanical link between the steering and the wheels. The obvious concern is what happens if the software goes wrong — and it is a sobering thought.
(edit) It seems they've been playing with the concept for a few years. Let your fingers do the driving (16th June 2000) mentions that a joystick model was unveiled in 1996 in Paris, and that "two dozen teenagers tested a Mercedes-Benz SLK equipped with a joystick at the maker's Papenberg test track" late in 1999.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stan The Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan The Man   E-mail Stan The Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It appears to be a concept car from 1996 - details here

--------------------
"A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead" - Stan Laurel

Posts: 249 | From: Dallas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I question the ergonomics of placing a navigation controller in the center of the car rather than in front of the driver, or at least closer to the driver.

Also, how do you put large items into the trunk??

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Illusion:
I question the ergonomics of placing a navigation controller in the center of the car rather than in front of the driver, or at least closer to the driver.

Also, how do you put large items into the trunk??

You don't. If you can afford this car, you can afford to have items delivered...or picked up by "the help". [Big Grin]

I agree that the controller has not been positioned correctly.

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IIRC SAAB trotted out a joystick controlled car in the early nineties.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the analysts might prove even less enthusiastic than they are now if the word "tiller" were suggested to them.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KDS
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KDS     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings,

Fish me if I’m totally off base, but don’t most commercial aircraft use the whole computers-really-move-the-parts thing? If we trust jetliners with the technology, why wouldn’t we trust it in road vehicles?

quote:

The obvious concern is what happens if the software goes wrong — and it is a sobering thought.

What if the metal bits that connect your steering wheel to the whatchamacallit and the dohicky* go wrong? Assuming the computers and software that would go into such a system was held to the same (hopefully rigorous) standards that mechanical steering submits to, where’s the danger? Is it just fear of something that’s different from what you’re comfortable with?

*Shows you how much I know about the inner workings of cars. Or the outer ones, I don’t even drive!

--------------------
I dunno, I like the same qualities in a man as I want in a dog. Big, happy, friendly, and hairy. Not too much slobber either. ~Sue Bee

Posts: 140 | From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The difference between cars and aircraft is that aircraft are much more rigorously inspected and tested on a regular basis. FWIW, the general populace tend not to have their cars serviced beyond changing the oil unless something breaks. Sometimes they don't get serviced even if something DOES break. On the other hand, aircraft won't leave the ground unless everything checks out before each and every flight.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
me, no really
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for me, no really   Author's Homepage   E-mail me, no really   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As for the side placement of the stick, that has been done on aircraft for a while too. Mostly for the improved ergonomics. I suspect there would need to be some form of arm rest provided though. I can't remember if there is one in the pictured in the OP though. I suspect that this design may be easier to drive for someone learning to drive from scratch, but harder to adjust to for someone used to a traditional wheel.

me

--------------------
Check out my handmade pens
Check back often because the page changes often

Posts: 831 | From: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the steering wheel's gonna be with us for a while, even with power control systems and 'in-situ' vehicle operations, but a full 'drive by wire' system, however basic, would be prohibitive in terms of mass production prices surely?

Sooner or later though they'll be semi or even fully automatic, a la 'I Robot'. Climb in, tell the car to take you the pub of your choice and honks it's horn about 12 to take you home [lol]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
KDS, did we go to the same tech school and learned all the important parts of machinery. Don't forget the do-dad, and thing-a-ma-jig.
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
KDS, did we go to the same tech school and learn all the important parts of machinery. Don't forget the do-dad, and thing-a-ma-jig.
Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jamira
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jamira         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding the plane controlled by a joystick, I think the poster may have been referring to a Cirrus light aircraft.

this link for example...
http://www.cirrusdesign.com/aircraft/interior/

Posts: 44 | From: Boundary, BC, Canada | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Airbus airliners also have a stick in lieu of a yoke. I remember the first time I went into the flightdeck of an A320 that really threw me off.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Also, what if you're a lefty? I doubt I could drive that thing right-handed...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember having the same concern when I was learning to fly a plane (the other way around though, as I'm right-handed and on a plane you steer with your left hand and control the throttle with your right). It's actually pretty amazing how quickly you get used to it and how intuitive it becomes.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sure you are not confusing it with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Gripen
[fish]

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Logoboros
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Logoboros   E-mail Logoboros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, I had a relative have the power steering go out on her car while she was driving, and, not being a very strong person, was basically unable to steer (especially once she got down to slower speeds). So the importance of the "mechanical connection" might be somewhat overvalued. Though, admittedly, even having some minimal steering control remains preferable to none whatsoever... but I guess you could always lean really hard, or they could implement an emergency break system that could apply pressure separately to the different wheels, which could then be used as a last-ditch steering mechanism.

--------------------
"If Men were Wise, the Most arbitrary Princes could not hurt them. If they are not wise, the Freest Government is compelld to be a Tyranny."

--William Blake

Posts: 1025 | From: Memphis, TN & Columbia, MO | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
quote:
Sure you are not confusing it with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Gripen
[fish]

I'm fairly sure. Of course my meds might need adjusting!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logoboros:
Of course, I had a relative have the power steering go out on her car while she was driving, and, not being a very strong person, was basically unable to steer (especially once she got down to slower speeds). So the importance of the "mechanical connection" might be somewhat overvalued. Though, admittedly, even having some minimal steering control remains preferable to none whatsoever... but I guess you could always lean really hard, or they could implement an emergency break system that could apply pressure separately to the different wheels, which could then be used as a last-ditch steering mechanism.

You make the argument for a mechanical connection right in your post, though! Just imagine what would have happened if she had a joystick instead, and it had stopped operating. Power steering is one thing, losing steering in general would be horrifying to say the least.

For some reason that reminds me: Don't the new Minis have electronic brake and gas? I for one would never trust my braking ability to a computer chip buried in the dashboard. [Eek!]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote for a car that has a USB port in the middle, and you can plug a Logitech Wingman in and control it from wherever you like...even the backseat. [Wink]

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 18 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
quote:

My original thought upon seeing the car was that this was an attempt to make the car more ambidexterous, as it were, for sales on either side of the Channel.

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not worried. The cost of such a car would be so far out of my price range (I drive a used Ford Taurus) that it concerns me not. When you see one of those in a $10,000 car, let me know...

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You make the argument for a mechanical connection right in your post, though! Just imagine what would have happened if she had a joystick instead, and it had stopped operating. Power steering is one thing, losing steering in general would be horrifying to say the least.

For some reason that reminds me: Don't the new Minis have electronic brake and gas? I for one would never trust my braking ability to a computer chip buried in the dashboard.

Mechanical control is fine, but there are still sooo many ways the computer chip in your car can eff you up if it sets its little mind to it. Volvo had a problem where cars suddenly and violently burst into flames for no apparent reason. Many cars have anti skid systems that control the engine and which could just as well put the pedal to the metal if something goes wrong. And don't get me started on airbags. How do you know that an electronics error don't tell the ABS that it's slipping all the time, effectively turning off the brakes? The random play on the stereo that's only pseudo random and plays the bad songs much more often than the good? Automatic transmissions that get stuck in gear?

Like it or not, the computer has your life in its hands.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 211 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
Like it or not, the computer has your life in its hands.

You forgot to add the maniacal laugh at the end of your post. You know, "BWA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!" and such....

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm right handed and I steer with my left, since I drive a manual. It probably wouldn't be much different.
Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages