snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » KFC ad from space?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KFC ad from space?
Rokatesh
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rokatesh   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rokatesh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The caption for this photo (from Reuters) says that you can see the face of Colonel Sanders (the founder of KFC (aka Kentucky Fried Chicken)) from space. Seems a bit too easy to photoshop this.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1756&e=1&u=/061114/ids_photos_ts/r3574914720.jpg

--------------------
Shannon (aka Rokatesh)

Posts: 53 | From: Aztec, NM | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To me it so looks like its been photoshopped and badly at that.

E*E

--------------------
"Taking all the pain I give you
Loving blindly in return
And I need you more than ever"
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stan The Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan The Man   E-mail Stan The Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's on KFC's website here.

--------------------
"A horse may be coaxed to drink, but a pencil must be lead" - Stan Laurel

Posts: 249 | From: Dallas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 505 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This article has some details on how it was made.

May have been spanked by Stan, depending on what's on the KFC site.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
dangit, I found the message but I was too late to get my snacker.

Pepper Mayo, why must thou taunt me?

(and yes I have ordered a snacker sandwhich without the chicken. Just the sandwhich bread and the heavenly pepper mayo. mmmmm)

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
El Chupacabra
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for El Chupacabra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are the rough coordinates if you're interested.

37.646000, -115.751138

Posts: 83 | From: Southern California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You will notice that the KFC site said it was an aerial photograph, IE taken by an airplane not a satellite photo from space.

That was what I noticed first. The buildings around the image did not look like they where being viewed from space to me, they where too close.

Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Darth Credence
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Darth Credence     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, are they trying to get the people on the ISS to order in, or what?

--------------------
Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends.

Posts: 262 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evil_eyes   Author's Homepage   E-mail Evil_eyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It still looks very fake to me. They could have made it seem more real like. It just stands out so much that it screams fake whether it is or not.

E JMHO E

--------------------
Loving blindly in return
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

Posts: 1243 | From: Northern VA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
paisley claus
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paisley claus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it does look fake, but I think it's just because it's on the internet [Wink] If gyou saw it from a plane first-hand, I imagine it would look more realistic.

--------------------
"Oh, now we're going to start judging each other on things we've done?? Real fair!"

Posts: 1114 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ILS:
You will notice that the KFC site said it was an aerial photograph, IE taken by an airplane not a satellite photo from space.

That was what I noticed first. The buildings around the image did not look like they where being viewed from space to me, they where too close.

Yes, but the news story says:

quote:
- a state-of-the-art GEO satellite captured the image of the logo as it circled the earth at an altitude of 483 kilometres.
I think KFC may just not know what "aerial" means.

That does make me wonder how much magnification you need to resolve it from that height, though. I mean, military observation satellites can resolve objects less than a metre across - surely there must be other logos painted on the ground that are tens of metres across and so would also be "visible" from space.

(edit) It took me 15 seconds on Google Earth to find this picture of the Fosters beer logo at Silverstone race track seemingly from space. (Although to be fair, I don't know whether that particular image tile is a satellite shot).

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Diceman
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Diceman   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Diceman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read somewhere - and of course now I can't find it - that businesses were doing this type of thing more and more often.

I guess they figure that if they put their logo on the roof and people use Google Earth and other such sites, they'll see the logo. It's almost free advertising.

--------------------
"If I had two faces, do you think I'd be wearing this one?"

http://www.westofrome.com

Posts: 45 | From: Janesville, Wisconsin | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evil_eyes:
It just stands out so much that it screams fake whether it is or not.

E JMHO E

That is a very strange statement.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The news story photo was probably from a satellite. However, the image used on the KFC site, which allows you to zoom in to see the person holding the 'secret message,' may have been taken from a plane.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:
The news story photo was probably from a satellite. However, the image used on the KFC site, which allows you to zoom in to see the person holding the 'secret message,' may have been taken from a plane.

Probably - initially I thought they were talking about the same picture for both, but that makes sense.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Evil_eyes
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
quote:

E JMHO E

I am a strange person.

It does seem fake to me, even though I know that its not. Its just weird looking is all. I dont know how to explain it.

E*E

--------------------
Loving blindly in return
WWW.Myspace.com/E_E2000

TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
quote:

E JMHO E

I am a strange person.

It does seem fake to me, even though I know that its not. Its just weird looking is all. I dont know how to explain it.

E*E

I don't think it was strange at all. I would never have guessed it was real.
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sasquatch
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sasquatch   E-mail Sasquatch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read a science fiction story ages ago, that dealt with an ad company intending to put a visible 7up ad on the moon.

Considering the ad budgets of some companies, it's probably even feasible, but I'm sure even ad people would have sense enough to know it would not be a positive image, heh.

Posts: 30 | From: Kansas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sasquatch:
I read a science fiction story ages ago, that dealt with an ad company intending to put a visible 7up ad on the moon.

Considering the ad budgets of some companies, it's probably even feasible, but I'm sure even ad people would have sense enough to know it would not be a positive image, heh.

I was reading were they were spending money on research of this type. One thing was to put of satilites with large enough banners to be seen from earth in the night sky. Another thing is research in to genetic engineering to put avertiments on the sides of wild animals and fish.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sasquatch:

Isaac Asimov once wrote a short story about how Earth was contacted by aliens that wanted to hire Jupiter as an intergalactic advertising board. He was very sorry that he didn't come up with the title himself (it was suggested by his publisher): Buy Jupiter.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of logos are visible from space. Roscoe's, locally, for example - http://tinyurl.com/shp5t You don't need to know what Roscoe's is but look! - you can read the name from SPACE Ooooo!!!11!!

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages