snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Abandoned Amusement Park? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Abandoned Amusement Park?
ComedyLiker23
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 16 posted      Profile for ComedyLiker23   E-mail ComedyLiker23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found pictures on a Japan website of Abandoned Amusement Park. I used Google to translate from Japanese to English.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.f01.itscom.net%2Fspiral%2Ft_rando%2Ft_rando1.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Posts: 8 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vote real.
Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, like a real-life scene from Spirited Away.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The way I translate it is this:

Behold! The training track on which our kamikaze pilots gain great fearlessness.

Observe the maximum security wheel on which the cells of the American prisoners dangle. Secure!

Three Stars stand for Emperor! for Army! for Navy! Also mean you cannot order as take-out.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DrRocket
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrRocket   E-mail DrRocket   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's cool. I've always liked the type of ruins where it looks like they just shut the doors for the last time and then walk away. This one looks like it's been sitting for quite a while, and that sort of surprises me because land is SO valuable in Japan. IF that's where it's located.

--------------------
It's rough on rats! "I'll Say!!"

Posts: 51 | From: Rosemount, Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool. I love ruins. People always think I'm nuts for having an interest in abandoned buildings and structures, whether they be ancient or modern. I always like to imagine what the place looked like, who lived there, or what it was used for. The fact that this is an amusement park makes it sort of sad and spooky.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those are some cool images.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The person could not have picked a better day to make those photos. The whole fog thing just adds to the impact of the shots.

--------------------

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
The person could not have picked a better day to make those photos. The whole fog thing just adds to the impact of the shots.

I gathered that the fog was rather common in that area due to the geography.

I agree with you though, it does make it looks so much more sad and spooky.

I too love these types of ruins. I'm not sure why, I just do.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! Those are some great pictures.

Anyone figure out where it's at? I'd like to use it to headquarter my criminal operation, which I guarantee will not be ruined by those meddling kids and their dog.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HenryChicane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HenryChicane   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those images are great. If I lived anywhere near that place I think I would risk a trespassing charge to explore it. I think I would have more fun than in an operating amusement park.

Can you imagine exploring a place like that at night?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/ironhillpark

Posts: 75 | From: NewCastle, Delaware | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amazing images, the guy with the camera is a wizard. The fog and the subject makes it somewhat easier, but he is still a master at bringing out colours and perspective.

That ferris wheel looks a bit familiar. Could it be that the pictures are mislabeled, I think I've seen something familiar in photos from Chernobyl? That would explain why it was shut down and the desolate surroundings. It could also explain the stars on the roller coaster (but, on the other hand, stars on a roller coaster does not really need an explanation).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those are wonderful. I love the little picture descriptions too.

Spirited Away begins with Chihiro's Dad talking about abandoned theme parks in Japan, thinking they have accidentally ended up in one.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waffles

--------------------

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not Chernobyl:
Chernobyl amusement park

More pages from the park in the OP:
Page 2

Page 3

The 9th picture on page three appears to have either Katakana or Hiragana. That would place the park in Japan. But, I can't be sure.

--------------------

Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a creepy little slide show.

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked the description of the abandoned coaster track:

quote:
The white dragon which is hurt had rested the body on the grass.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cyber
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyber   Author's Homepage   E-mail Cyber   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a YTMND regarding these series of pictures with rather suitable music to amplify that eerie feeling.

You can find it here.

One user has a theory on its origins:

quote:
Yeah, apparently there are a lot of sights like this in Japan due to the
recession they've been feeling for awhile. It's a sad thing, though it's
worth mentioning that the movie Spirited Away kicks off in an abandoned
amusement park and a few words of explanation are given.

Another user supported that theory:

quote:
Again, blame it on the massive economic shift in 1992-98. It was psychotic.
It went from 80 yen to the dollar in the early 90s to 145 yen in 1998.
That's unheard of. Their money was worth literally half. For a westernized,
thriving economy, it was like WWII all over again. The upheaval was so
great, and is still pretty rough today, that suicides rose to epic
proportions. That, and many workers would leave home daily, just to wander
the local parks, too embarrassed to tell the family that their job is gone.

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

Posts: 134 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Legion600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion600   E-mail Legion600   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a different translation of the site
http://studyinjapan.blogspot.com/2005/05/translation-of-abandoned-roller_18.html

--------------------
Yes. I'm Evil. What's your point?

Posts: 199 | From: Bowling Green, OH | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
I liked the description of the abandoned coaster track:

quote:
The white dragon which is hurt had rested the body on the grass.

Me too!

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pixeldust
Sebring-a-Ding-a-Ding

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldust     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a heap more from the same photographer here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fhome.f01.itscom.net%2Fspiral%2Ft_rando%2Ft_rando1.html&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

--------------------
0118 999 881 999 119 725 ... 3

Posts: 6 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suddenly remembered that I have a strange phobia concerning pictures of abandoned amusement parks. (I have never been to one personally- but I probably also have a fear of being in one.) I have even had nightmares about them.

I don't know what it is about them, but they really creep me out.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Looking at those pictures really inspires me to write story about seeing spirits in an old abandoned theme park... Maybe a 10 year old girl gets caught up in the magic...

Naw, it would never sell.... [Wink]

--------------------

Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely love the first photo on the second page!

Also, in a book I have that has writing prompts, one presents the idea of a little boy stumbling upon an amusement park in the woods while camping with his family...hmmmm

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I especially like the pictures of the carousel. Cervus, I have a real interest in abandoned buildings as well. They're sometimes creepy, sometimes sad, always interesting.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 502 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've always liked the type of ruins where it looks like they just shut the doors for the last time and then walk away.
That's pretty much what they did with Pacific Ocean Park (as can be seen in the final episode of The Fugitive, which climaxed with a chase through a deserted amusement park).

A local zoo/animal park called Jungleland (famous as the site where Jayne Mansfield's child was mauled by a big cat) closed down when I was about 9 years old. They auctioned off most of the animals and fixtures, but the land itself and the sturdier structures (such as the marine animal tanks) were simply left to be overgrown by bamboo. It was a neat place to explore and play, and after the skateboarding craze took hold in the mid-1970s the marine tanks became a favorite practice spot.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in to the Snopes Abandoned Buildings Explorer Club. There's a great website, Forgotten NY, that is full of weird, old, abandoned stuff in NYC. I've always been fascinated by that kind of stuff.

I don't fear abandoned structures (but I'd never visit one alone), but I've had nightmares for years about industrial areas at night, I'm terrified of them. When I was in beauty school at night, it was in an industrial park and I was paralyzed in fear at the thought of ending up there alone one night and someone finding me dead in the ravine beside it. Yes, there was a ravine beside it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, what's that hole in the ground?
Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those of you into abandoned buildings/Urban Exploration should really check out Urban Exploration Resource
You have to register, but the UE Photography forum is well worth it.

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't fear abandoned structures (but I'd never visit one alone), but I've had nightmares for years about industrial areas at night, I'm terrified of them. When I was in beauty school at night, it was in an industrial park and I was paralyzed in fear at the thought of ending up there alone one night and someone finding me dead in the ravine beside it. Yes, there was a ravine beside it.
Tell me about it, Ana. I didn't realize that I was afraid of Industrial areas at night until I was driving through the south side of Chicago at 1 in the morning. I didn't see a single person, but that still ranks in the top 5 scariest things i've *ever* experienced.

I still get shaky when driving through the Industrial part of my city (which is actually a really bad part of town) because of that. I don't know if it was because of the reputation or because it was abandoned, smokey and the middle of the night.

All I know is that I never want to see a decrepit, rusty, old factory building again.

(FYI: I'm getting chills while typing this)

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jof

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a review of Fantazy Land - a theme park in Alexandria, Egypt.

Oh, and this one is OPEN! [Eek!]

--------------------
Shoot the messenger.

Posts: 14 | From: Widnes, Cheshire, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same park, different photographer.

The pictures for the roller coasters are attributed to the photographer of the OP. The park's been closed for only 7 years.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here's a review of Fantazy Land - a theme park in Alexandria, Egypt.
Oh, and this one is OPEN!

Well...uh...at least there uh...

...weren't any lines?

[Eek!]

Edited to add quote.

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jervistetch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jervistetch     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This post is my first on any message board ever. (I'm an old foagie.) The amusement park pictures from the original post in question are, in fact, from Japan. I lived in Hiratsuka, Japan for two years as an English instructor and have been back to visit twice since then. This park is located near the Fuji Five Lakes region about three hours straight of Tokyo. It went out of business after the Japanese bubble burst. Competition from Tokyo Disneyland and its related parks didn't help either. The day I saw it, it was also shrouded in fog. Thanks for indulging the novice.
Posts: 2 | From: Chanute, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jervistetch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jervistetch     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry. The fifth sentence should read, "three hours straight south of Tokyo."
Posts: 2 | From: Chanute, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages