snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Abandoned Amusement Park? (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Abandoned Amusement Park?
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suddenly remembered that I have a strange phobia concerning pictures of abandoned amusement parks. (I have never been to one personally- but I probably also have a fear of being in one.) I have even had nightmares about them.

I don't know what it is about them, but they really creep me out.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking at those pictures really inspires me to write story about seeing spirits in an old abandoned theme park... Maybe a 10 year old girl gets caught up in the magic...

Naw, it would never sell.... [Wink]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I absolutely love the first photo on the second page!

Also, in a book I have that has writing prompts, one presents the idea of a little boy stumbling upon an amusement park in the woods while camping with his family...hmmmm

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I especially like the pictures of the carousel. Cervus, I have a real interest in abandoned buildings as well. They're sometimes creepy, sometimes sad, always interesting.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 502 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've always liked the type of ruins where it looks like they just shut the doors for the last time and then walk away.
That's pretty much what they did with Pacific Ocean Park (as can be seen in the final episode of The Fugitive, which climaxed with a chase through a deserted amusement park).

A local zoo/animal park called Jungleland (famous as the site where Jayne Mansfield's child was mauled by a big cat) closed down when I was about 9 years old. They auctioned off most of the animals and fixtures, but the land itself and the sturdier structures (such as the marine animal tanks) were simply left to be overgrown by bamboo. It was a neat place to explore and play, and after the skateboarding craze took hold in the mid-1970s the marine tanks became a favorite practice spot.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in to the Snopes Abandoned Buildings Explorer Club. There's a great website, Forgotten NY, that is full of weird, old, abandoned stuff in NYC. I've always been fascinated by that kind of stuff.

I don't fear abandoned structures (but I'd never visit one alone), but I've had nightmares for years about industrial areas at night, I'm terrified of them. When I was in beauty school at night, it was in an industrial park and I was paralyzed in fear at the thought of ending up there alone one night and someone finding me dead in the ravine beside it. Yes, there was a ravine beside it. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, what's that hole in the ground?
Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those of you into abandoned buildings/Urban Exploration should really check out Urban Exploration Resource
You have to register, but the UE Photography forum is well worth it.

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't fear abandoned structures (but I'd never visit one alone), but I've had nightmares for years about industrial areas at night, I'm terrified of them. When I was in beauty school at night, it was in an industrial park and I was paralyzed in fear at the thought of ending up there alone one night and someone finding me dead in the ravine beside it. Yes, there was a ravine beside it.
Tell me about it, Ana. I didn't realize that I was afraid of Industrial areas at night until I was driving through the south side of Chicago at 1 in the morning. I didn't see a single person, but that still ranks in the top 5 scariest things i've *ever* experienced.

I still get shaky when driving through the Industrial part of my city (which is actually a really bad part of town) because of that. I don't know if it was because of the reputation or because it was abandoned, smokey and the middle of the night.

All I know is that I never want to see a decrepit, rusty, old factory building again.

(FYI: I'm getting chills while typing this)

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jof
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a review of Fantazy Land - a theme park in Alexandria, Egypt.

Oh, and this one is OPEN! [Eek!]

--------------------
Shoot the messenger.

Posts: 14 | From: Widnes, Cheshire, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Same park, different photographer.

The pictures for the roller coasters are attributed to the photographer of the OP. The park's been closed for only 7 years.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
black roses 19
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for black roses 19   E-mail black roses 19   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here's a review of Fantazy Land - a theme park in Alexandria, Egypt.
Oh, and this one is OPEN!

Well...uh...at least there uh...

...weren't any lines?

[Eek!]

Edited to add quote.

--------------------
"I find them to be in contradiction of the basic principles of YOUR MOM!!!" -We've Got Mail

Posts: 1361 | From: Muncie, IN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jervistetch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jervistetch     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This post is my first on any message board ever. (I'm an old foagie.) The amusement park pictures from the original post in question are, in fact, from Japan. I lived in Hiratsuka, Japan for two years as an English instructor and have been back to visit twice since then. This park is located near the Fuji Five Lakes region about three hours straight of Tokyo. It went out of business after the Japanese bubble burst. Competition from Tokyo Disneyland and its related parks didn't help either. The day I saw it, it was also shrouded in fog. Thanks for indulging the novice.
Posts: 2 | From: Chanute, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jervistetch

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jervistetch     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry. The fifth sentence should read, "three hours straight south of Tokyo."
Posts: 2 | From: Chanute, Kansas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The photographer is almost a master. I wonder if s/he's a professional? Coincidentally, I'm getting more interested in photography and am always looking for inspiration in the composition of photos. There are some gems on this site.

This page has some of my favorites.

ETA: This photo scares the shit out of me.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ok...why am I too scared to look @ the scary pic? The other pics are really good!

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ana Ng

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, who broke the thread? UBB Code is our friend...

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
faceless007
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faceless007   E-mail faceless007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone's making references to "Spirited Away," but to me these pictures evoke another Japanese fictional creation: Silent Hill, the video game series. These pictures look right out of the opening scene of Silent Hill 3 but in daytime instead of night--but since one of the staples of the game is omnipresent fog, these pics still fit right in.

If you don't know, Silent Hill is a horror video game series that takes place in the creepy abandoned town of Silent Hill, where fog is everywhere and everything looks like...well, like those pictures, but worse. It makes me want to visit that park and see if it evokes a similar atmosphere to the game.

Posts: 940 | From: California | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pixiesnix
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixiesnix   E-mail Pixiesnix   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree, faceless007. In fact, I was gonna say, "So that's what Lakeside Amusement Park looks like during the day."

--------------------
Ye cannot get ye flask!

Posts: 42 | From: O'Fallon, IL | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gorgeous photos. One thing that struck me - especially when I saw the carousel horses - is that everything has been left intact and unvandalized. If that was in the U.S. it would have been picked clean and thoroughly graffitied.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
The person could not have picked a better day to make those photos. The whole fog thing just adds to the impact of the shots.

quote:
Everyone's making references to "Spirited Away," but to me these pictures evoke another Japanese fictional creation: Silent Hill, the video game series. These pictures look right out of the opening scene of Silent Hill 3 but in daytime instead of night--but since one of the staples of the game is omnipresent fog, these pics still fit right in.

If you don't know, Silent Hill is a horror video game series that takes place in the creepy abandoned town of Silent Hill, where fog is everywhere and everything looks like...well, like those pictures, but worse. It makes me want to visit that park and see if it evokes a similar atmosphere to the game.

I agree.

Due to the fog, I took one look at the photo and said, holy crap it's Silent Hill! Perfect timing on the photo, the fact that it's an amusement park is just great. Now if only we could get a hotel, hospital, and school all abandoned in the same area. Open it up as Silent Hill: The Park and make a killing! [Razz]

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SparkStalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SparkStalker   E-mail SparkStalker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another amusement park from the same photographer:
http://home.f01.itscom.net/spiral/kouga/kouga1.html

All his photos are incredibly cool and creepy...I love it.

Posts: 277 | From: Virginia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Peacockalorum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peacockalorum   E-mail Peacockalorum   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This photographer's site is one of my favourites.
Here
is the main index, well worth perusing (the half-built hotels in particular.) It's also updated frequently (and links to similar sites that are also good). There are also some (SFW) model shots in abandoned places.

This to be the most bizarre and uncanny of the lot. Random giant man!

Nifty is a reasonably coherent translation site (Japanese, but fairly self-explanatory; change '英語 > 日本語' to '日本語 > 英語' and proceed from there).

--------------------
"The outrageous is the reasonable, if introduced politely." -Charles Fort
"A chicken? To celebrate the birth of our Lord- a chicken?!"

Posts: 11 | From: Midshires, UK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peacockalorum:
This to be the most bizarre and uncanny of the lot. Random giant man!

What is this place? It looks like an attempt to build a generic European town with bits and pieces collected all over Europe including signs in mock Finnish and ditto Norwegian.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jervistetch:
I'm sorry. The fifth sentence should read, "three hours straight south of Tokyo."

Welcome! Good to know where it is... my brother currently lives in that sort of area. I wonder if he knows of it.

You can correct a post by clicking the "edit" button above it, by the way.

quote:
Charlie23 said:
Those of you into abandoned buildings/Urban Exploration should really check out Urban Exploration Resource

Hmm, I might have a look at that later. I've always had to resist the urge to trespass in abandoned buildings. In fact at the weekend I did actually sneak into one of the empty malt warehouses on Ipswich docks and take some pictures - a lot of the old industrial buildings have been demolished recently but this one has been preserved as a feature and will be converted into flats in the new development. I was curious as to what they looked like before they're converted.

Not as exciting as an abandoned theme park, and the photos were a bit hit-and-miss because it was too dark to see what I was pointing the camera at (I had to navigate around by taking a photo of a dark place then looking at the screen to see what was there) but it satisfied my curiosity and sense of adventure!

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Peacockalorum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peacockalorum   E-mail Peacockalorum   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
What is this place? It looks like an attempt to build a generic European town with bits and pieces collected all over Europe including signs in mock Finnish and ditto Norwegian.

It's meant to be a 'Gulliver's Travels' theme park- here's the man himself.

--------------------
"The outrageous is the reasonable, if introduced politely." -Charles Fort
"A chicken? To celebrate the birth of our Lord- a chicken?!"

Posts: 11 | From: Midshires, UK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that's majorly creepy. It reminds me of all the disaster animes I've seen. It also seems like the perfect setting for a horror movie, or a Scooby-Doo episode. There was a Scooby-Doo episode in an amusement park, wasn't there? I don't remember, was it open or closed?

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
There was a Scooby-Doo episode in an amusement park, wasn't there? I don't remember, was it open or closed?

The episode ("Foul Play in Funland" from "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" -- clip) was an out-of-service park that the caretakers were trying to reopen. They had built a robot named Charlie to run the park.

Several clips from the show were used in the credits (Scooby running in a barrel, an image of Charlie, and Scooby licking cotton candy off himself). You can see some pics here (scroll down).

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Louise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Louise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, so I was remembering correctly. Cool!

--------------------
"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." -- Mark Twain

Posts: 173 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought all Scooby-Doo episodes were set in amusement parks. I often wondered why amusement parks needed so much milk delivered...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aw, come on! I made the Scooby Doo reference on the first page! [Wink]

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Louise

really? i didn't notice that, sorry chillas!
Richard, do you remember for instance the episode where they went to a haunted mansion, or any of their other escapades?

--------------------

Richard W

Wasn't the haunted mansion that they went to every other week actually in an amusement park, though?
Louise

I honestly don't remember

--------------------

ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I had no idea there were quite this many folks here interested in urban exploration stuff. I started writing a book (fiction) based on it a couple of years ago but lost interest assuming I'd be the only person who ever wanted to read it. *grin*

That said, excellent photography, as everyone else pointed out.

BeachLife, I love the slideshow of Chernobyl. Scary and amazing. Hard to believe the incredibly long-lasting damage that can be done by a nuclear explosion. [Frown]

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages