snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Shuttle Launch Seen From ISS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shuttle Launch Seen From ISS
t_chelle16
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t_chelle16     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=3183

To me, it looks like it was taken from a much lower altitude than space.

Posts: 15 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 105 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hard to work out the angles -- you could use Google Earth and try to emulate the scene -- but remember that the ISS orbits at a pretty low path -- roughly 200 miles above the earth -- and this picture *could* be real.

Also, we don't know what magnification is used on the camera taking the pic.

I vote real... (But I almost always do!)

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Having seen a shuttle launch, I'd say if these were taken from the ISS, we would all be able to see it clearly hanging in the sky overhead. And it would take just a couple of minutes for the shuttle to reach the ISS.

One of the comments says they're more likely from a chase plane; I concur.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was passed around one of my model builder lists a couple weeks ago, that has some hard core space modelers. It apparently was taken from a high altitude NASA observation plane.
Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That shot is within 2 minutes of the launch (SRBs are still going) and it has almost got up to the altitude of the picture taker.

The edge of the window looks more like a cockpit glass than a ISS glass.

I would also vote for chase plane. It might be an ER-2 shot, but I didn't think they chased the shuttle like that. if the date is right, I will check around and see if anyone here knows (of course, SOME of the people here have passed on the "Katrina" shots, so...).

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CheseJRS

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CheseJRS   E-mail CheseJRS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would go with the chase plane theory as well. that picture looks to be from high altitude observation rather than the space station, besides i believe it takes several days for the shuttle to 'catch up' with the ISS.

--------------------
-- John

Posts: 16 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking as a total idiot when it comes to space technology:

The color of the padding around the window is black. Isn't most of the ISS's interior white or gray? Also, the window looks much more aerodynamic than I would think the windows on the ISS would be.

Also, the angle from which the picture is taken coupled with the atmospheric effects suggests to me something that isn't quite past the earth's atmosphere.

[/idiot]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These pictures have to be taken at a much lower altitude than the ISS. While the ISS does have a low orbit, as Silas points out, it is still much too high to see that thick of an atmosphere. (Google ISS images to see how thin it actually looks from the ISS.)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dreams of Thinking Machines
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dreams of Thinking Machines   E-mail Dreams of Thinking Machines   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This picture doesn't look like it was taken above 60,000 feet to me. But I am no expert.

--------------------
Obi Wan: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"
Anakin: "Um, isn't your last statement an absolute?"

Posts: 166 | From: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A forum at NASA Spaceflight.com states that they are from a chase plane flown by NASA/JSC WB-57 High Altitude Research. They've confirmed the source but placed the photos on a pay to view server.

Gibbie

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
t_chelle16

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t_chelle16     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you very much. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amigone201
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amigone201   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ISS? Somebody was watching a shuttle launch from in school suspension?

--------------------
Check out my blog! http://fundiewatch.blogspot.com

Posts: 1527 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amigone201:
ISS? Somebody was watching a shuttle launch from in school suspension?

Yes. In this case they were suspended at about 60,000 feet.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pops91710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pops91710   E-mail pops91710   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What struck me immediately in this photograph was #1) The lack of significant curvature of the earth that would be most visible if taken from 220 miles up.

#2) Is the time stamp that is in American format. Euro and asian formats use the year first. This is from a small digital camera.

#3) the reflection in the canopy glass reveals something in very close proximity to it, as it would if it were from a small cramped cockpit of a chase plane.

#4) Finally, the canopy edge is quite distiguishable. It is from a cockpit sill.

Surely NASA would never fire a missle from the cape with any planes flying in the area other than an authorized chase/observation plane. So it must be a chase plane.

Even so, it is an impressive photograph.

--------------------
Pops

Posts: 3 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pops91710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pops91710   E-mail pops91710   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What struck me immediately in this photograph was #1) The lack of significant curvature of the earth that would be most visible if taken from 220 miles up.

#2) Is the time stamp that is in American format. Euro and asian formats use the year first. This is from a small digital camera.

#3) the reflection in the canopy glass reveals something in very close proximity to it, as it would if it were from a small cramped cockpit of a chase plane.

#4) Finally, the canopy edge is quite distiguishable. It is from a cockpit sill.

Surely NASA would never fire a missle from the cape with any planes flying in the area other than an authorized chase/observation plane. So it must be a chase plane.

Even so, it is an impressive photograph.

--------------------
Pops

Posts: 3 | From: Chino, CA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is the time stamp that is in American format. Euro and asian formats use the year first. This is from a small digital camera.
I think the time stamp is stored as raw data (usually an offset from a certain point in time), not as text. The rest is just a matter of formatting.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone got photoshop handy? you can see if the metadata is still intact. It would probably tell you the make and model of the camera!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
Anyone got photoshop handy? you can see if the metadata is still intact. It would probably tell you the make and model of the camera!

'Fraid not. All it has is:
quote:
Originally posted by Adobe Photoshop:
CreationDate: 2006-10-23T16:36:19Z

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does that coencide with a shuttle launch?

Someone with more time on their hands than me can calculate the altitude of the shuttle at that precise time and therefore estimate the altitude of the chase plane!

I presume the z at the end of the timestamp indicates "zulu" time i.e. gmt??!

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The time stamp on the second (or rather first) photo says 09/09/2006 which happens to coindcide with the date that the shuttle mission STS-115 was launched.

ET correct an error.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hans Off

From the launch blog for STS 115 it gives...

quote:
11:14:55 a.m. - LIFTOFF!!! 3...2...1...and liftoff of Space Shuttle Atlantis...opening a new chapter in the completion of the International Space Station...for the future of collaboration of nations in space.
and an SRB separation at 11:16 EDT

It seems the owner of the camera hadn't set the time on it correctly!

--------------------

Gibbie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hans Off:
From the launch blog for STS 115 it gives...

quote:
11:14:55 a.m. - LIFTOFF!!! 3...2...1...and liftoff of Space Shuttle Atlantis...opening a new chapter in the completion of the International Space Station...for the future of collaboration of nations in space.
and an SRB separation at 11:16 EDT

It seems the owner of the camera hadn't set the time on it correctly!

Is it possible that the photo was actually on film and that the photoshop date indicates the time and date it was scanned into a digital format?

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages