snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Good Day, Mr. Kubrick...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good Day, Mr. Kubrick...
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 218 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In 1984, Director Stanley Kubrick placed ads throughout the U.S. for young aspiring actors to send in audition tapes for Full Metal Jacket. This is one of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWbl4vQLfr4
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dfresh
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dfresh   E-mail dfresh   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, and a Trekkie? That would have given the whole movie a new spin.
Posts: 420 | From: Oxford, PA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else find themself really just wanting to slap this guy? Possibly with a fish?

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babys-breath
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babys-breath   E-mail babys-breath   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Talk about your over-actng .....

--------------------
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy ...

Posts: 6 | From: Fairmont, WV | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'mNotDedalus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tell ya somethin’, Ponyboy. I could never quite decide if your eyes were just a shade bluer or greener! YOU KNOW SOMETHIN’, PONY!!! I would’ve never noticed clouuuuuuuuuds and, and colors in the sky before if it hadn’t had been for you reminding me about them. SEEMS LIKE THEY WERE NEVER THERE BEFORE!!!

[lol] Priceless

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paulie Jay
O Little Down-Payment of Bethlehem

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paulie Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why haven't we seen this guying starring in any Hollywood blockbusters???

Oh I see. Because he STINKS!  -

--------------------
All the way with Paulie Jay

Posts: 476 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KingDavid8
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KingDavid8   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, he's not listed in IMDB.com or AllMovie.com. Big surprise.

David

--------------------
www.MySpace.com/KDavid8

Posts: 2530 | From: Lansing, MI | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
However, I think he may have been at St. Dorothy Elementary school in 1976.

Second row from the top, far right hand side.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Er, since I'm reasonably sure some enterprising and fearless reporter or follower of web phenomena is likely tracking down Mr. Atene, I'll note that several "people finder" search engines identify a Brian P. Atene (variously described as 43 or having been born in August, 1963) as being linked to residences in the northern metropolitan Philadelphia area. (Perhaps he's in real estate or property management or something.) I don't know whether this is our onetime thespian, of course, but the age and birth month/year are right.

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 209 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In 1984, Director Stanley Kubrick placed ads throughout the U.S. for young aspiring actors to send in audition tapes for Full Metal Jacket. This is one of them.
Hmm, Kubrick had a list of instructions about how to prepare one's videotaped audition. In February, 1984, several film columnists for national newspapers shared these instructions with interested readers. For what it's worth, here are those specifications as they appeared in a clipping from the 17 February issue of The Washington Post (p. A1).

This is probably insignificant, but it seems that the video we're presented with diverges a bit from what the director asked of those who were submitting tapes.

-- Bonnie

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sum Thucker
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sum Thucker   E-mail Sum Thucker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr. Atene Defends Himself on YouTube

This just keeps getting better.

Posts: 19 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Billy Biggles
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Biggles   Author's Homepage   E-mail Billy Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even allowing that at 21 you can be too rumbunctious for your own good, I think it's unlikely to be a successful gambit to mention during your audition that the man who might be giving you work is not as good a director as Michael Curtiz. And I think even a Juilliard (?) student would know that. The love of Korngold is a fine additional touch, but the puppy and the favourite colour are a tad de trop. And don't devotees of Star Trek call themselves Trekkers rather than Trekkies?

The man in the second video is Phil Jupitus or ik ben nederlander.

I have, however, wet two pairs of trousers while watching these videos, so somebody somewhere owes me laundry money.

--------------------
Cogito ergo sum, non sum qualis eram. Putting Descartes before the Horace every time.

Posts: 377 | From: East Anglia, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kanazawa
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kanazawa   E-mail kanazawa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He's so ugly he could be a modern art masterpiece. And it's Cowboy (obviously) that's from Texas, not Pyle.

--------------------
If I say it's safe to surf this beach, then it's safe to surf this beach...

Posts: 127 | From: Cupertino, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
63mercus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 63mercus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First off, hello everyone. longtime lurker, second time poster. Whooo-baby!! That was painful to watch!! Was it the exhibition of cluelessness or the lack of talent? Hope the Juliard faculty gave that guy an unconditional refund!

--------------------
"Soylent Green is People!!"
The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so. - Mark Twain

Posts: 21 | From: Chalmers, IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
63mercus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 63mercus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say, from watching the second video, that the actor is having some fun & is perhaps emberassed by his youthful enthusiasm

--------------------
The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so. - Mark Twain

Posts: 21 | From: Chalmers, IN | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
63mercus

Maybe embaressed, even

--------------------

TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He fancies himself as a young Alec Guiness??
More like a Roddy McDowell suffering from William Shatnerism if you ask me.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sum Thucker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sum Thucker   E-mail Sum Thucker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Public records seem to indicate that Mr. Atene is still single and filed for bankruptcy in Oct. 2005 in a PA district court (there does not APPEAR to be more than one Brian Atene; of course, I could be wrong). Seriously, I'm depressed now. I was honestly rooting for this guy.
Posts: 19 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lindiglo
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lindiglo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Lindiglo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 63mercus:
I would say, from watching the second video, that the actor is having some fun & is perhaps emberassed by his youthful enthusiasm

I don't think it's actually the same person...

--------------------
A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.
-Sophia Loren

Posts: 1835 | From: Toronto | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"My favorite composer is Erich Wolfgang Korngold, when I was 12 years old I won a spaniel puppy for 50 cents and my favorite color is green. Also, I am a Trekkie." [lol] I love it. In fact, I'm seriously considering making this my signature.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Biggles:
>>>SNIP<<< And don't devotees of Star Trek call themselves Trekkers rather than Trekkies?

Back in the day - and even now, devotees of the original series called themselves "Trekkies". ST:TNG got people calling themselves "Trekkers" to differentiate themselves from those "lame" OLD series fans. [lol]

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is he Mary Katherine Galleger's brother? Because his monologue reminded me of one of hers.

--------------------
"If you don't have anything nice to say...sit next to me"

Posts: 80 | From: Finger Lakes Region, NY | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ledfeather

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ledfeather   E-mail Ledfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The real Brian Atene has done a Youtube video now. He actually comes off as a pretty funny guy thats a bit wacked.

http://www.panopticist.com/archives/223.html

--------------------
There is absolutely no evidence that life is meant to be taken serious.

Posts: 29 | From: Washington | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'd like to be friends with Brian Atene, past or present version. He seems like he'd be fun to be around.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bramble Silvertree

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Bramble Silvertree   E-mail Bramble Silvertree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can forgive him for being a bad actor, not everyone was born with that particular talent. But for goodness' sake any high school drama class teaches you not to look directly into the camera. I can't get past that! I guess Juliard teachers skip that lesson? Or was he sick that day?

--------------------
"Tout le monde est fou, sauf vous et moi."

Posts: 47 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
63mercus

I agree with Candiru, I like the guy.

--------------------

Ledfeather

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ledfeather   E-mail Ledfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why shouldn't he look into the camera he is addressing the audience and would break the fourth wall to do so.

--------------------
There is absolutely no evidence that life is meant to be taken serious.

Posts: 29 | From: Washington | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages