snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Steve Irwin video screencaps

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steve Irwin video screencaps
t_chelle16
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t_chelle16     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This was sent to me today.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/257202/steve_irwin_death/

Posts: 15 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jar Bear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jar Bear   E-mail Jar Bear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think he was swimming with his regular outfit.

Fake, IMO.

Posts: 24 | From: Coahuila, México | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tirisfal Pumpkin
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tirisfal Pumpkin   E-mail Tirisfal Pumpkin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah I vote fake too, because from the interview with Terri Irwin with Ray Martin (Australian current affairs show host) he was 'diving', not so much 'swimming' and therefore would have been in scuba gear.

--------------------
I'm ridin' my lollerskates all the way to my roflcopter

Posts: 156 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kappants

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kappants   E-mail kappants   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not know if it is real or not. Hard to see anything anyway, but I watched his show for years and part of his shtick is to do every thing in his Khakis.

--------------------
Dude!

Posts: 6 | From: San Bernardino, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those were in the National Enquirer. If you look close, you'll see that the stingray still HAS its barb after it supposedly impaled him. Also, when he 'pulls it out', there's no blood. No visible wound.

Fake.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Stormfeather
Silver Sells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stormfeather   E-mail Stormfeather   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you really need to go any farther than "those were in the National Enquirer"...?

[Cool]

--------------------
-,-'-,-<<0

This space for rent

Posts: 275 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Stormfeather, I had to when explaining it to my 14 year old. Force of habit.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sum Thucker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sum Thucker   E-mail Sum Thucker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I happened across a copy of the National Enquirer in question and, as usual, in the tiniest of print they disclaim that the photos are an "artist's recreation of the events" or something to that effect.
Posts: 19 | From: New York | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
now, if it was Batboy instead of Steve Irwin I'd consider it credible...
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup, from the Enquirer. They were implied as real on the cover but on the inside they're actually admitted to be "recreations" of what was reported, or some such nonsense.

charlie, Batboy is Weekly World News [Smile]

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MeliKoritsi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeliKoritsi   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sum Thucker:
I happened across a copy of the National Enquirer

... So did I. I happened across it at the gas station and then I happened across it on my nightstand the other night.

--------------------
"In the harsh light of day, your plans seem crude and childish, making it all the more obvious that you need a good planning lamp."
>Liquor in the front, poker in the rear<

Posts: 424 | From: Edina, Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I say fake, it was too blury to make out the person's facial fetures, for me at least.

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
charlie, Batboy is Weekly World News
oops.
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few of the comments under the link posted mention that the pictures show a manta ray, whereas Irwin's death was caused by a sting ray. I know nothing about rays though so I can't tell.
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti Nightmare:
A few of the comments under the link posted mention that the pictures show a manta ray, whereas Irwin's death was caused by a sting ray. I know nothing about rays though so I can't tell.

Nah, as manta rays happen to be a personal favourite of mine, I can tell you I'm pretty sure that it is not a manta.

I'm not a marine expert, which is why I'll stop short of saying it definitely isn't one.

--------------------
"victory thru self-deception"

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Polyeth12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polyeth12     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kappants:
I do not know if it is real or not. Hard to see anything anyway, but I watched his show for years and part of his shtick is to do every thing in his Khakis.

I think whenever he was acutally SCUBA diving though, he wore a wetsuit. If you scroll way to the bottom of this page: http://www.sharkwatchsouthafrica.com/dive.htm
He's in a wetsuit.
I do remember an interview with Terri once where she was talking about going to a very posh fund raiser with Steve. She wore a nice evening gown and he wore his khakis!
Anyway, I agree with everyone else that the video was probably staged. And that's in pretty poor taste, even by Enquirer standards.
Apparently those who have access to it don't want it to be shown...that doesn't mean it won't be leaked eventually, though.

Posts: 33 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Polyeth12

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polyeth12     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry double post
Posts: 33 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard of the video being leaked a few days after his death. I wonder if it was this fake video.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kappants

Icon 14 posted      Profile for kappants   E-mail kappants   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polyeth12:
I think whenever he was acutally SCUBA diving though, he wore a wetsuit.

I saw an episode where he SCUBA dived with Nurse Sharks in Australia and he wore the Khakis. It looks in the link that he dove with Great White sharks which tend to feed in cold waters hence the wet suit. The sting ray attack occured in warm waters and you can SCUBA in warm waters with a t-shirt and shorts (My parents are certified divers and when the went to tropical waters they would dive in shorts and a shirt). However, I think it is not the actual death sting we are seeing since he is just snorkling. That doesn't mean that the pictures are fake, just not of the stated description.

--------------------
Dude!

Posts: 6 | From: San Bernardino, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti Nightmare:

That is not a manta ray in the photos. It does look like a bull stingray, which is the species that killed Steve.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a manta ray.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Salamander   E-mail Salamander   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
I've heard of the video being leaked a few days after his death. I wonder if it was this fake video.

While all sorts of supposedly private videos have found their way onto the internet, I strongly believe that this is one that'll never make it.

From what I can gather, the people with Steve and filming at the time were pretty close friends. I highly doubt one of them would disobey Terri's wishes that the footage never be made public. As far as I'm concerned, I'd automatically consider any "Steve Irwin stingray video" to be utterly false.

--------------------

Posts: 2211 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rogue

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rogue   E-mail rogue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
I highly doubt one of them would disobey Terri's wishes that the footage never be made public.

However, the video was turned over to the police investigating the death. Outside hands touched it, and could easily have copied it. or a friend or family member. $$$ can be a powerful motivation, and I'm sure someone would pay well for it...

--------------------
"'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awile."

Posts: 119 | From: Norman, OK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
This is a manta ray.

Holy NFBSK!!! [Eek!] I knew the basics of what a manta ray was, but I had no idea they could get that big! That's bigger than my living room!

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Salamander

quote:
Originally posted by rogue:
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
I highly doubt one of them would disobey Terri's wishes that the footage never be made public.

However, the video was turned over to the police investigating the death. Outside hands touched it, and could easily have copied it. or a friend or family member. $$$ can be a powerful motivation, and I'm sure someone would pay well for it...
Considering the high profile of the person in question, I think you'd find that the tape was treated with a lot of care and the handling subject to a lot of scrutiny.

I doubt the $$$ would be worth sacrificing my job/career.

--------------------

Communication Attempt
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Communication Attempt   E-mail Communication Attempt       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was afraid of this.I"m sure we'll see mroe purported Steve Irwin Death Videos as time goes by.It's not often a celebrety's death is caught on tape so it's bound to create an urban legen of it's own.We'll probably start hearing about people who says they have seen the death tape.

--------------------
"I love God,he's so deliciously evil!" -Stewie,Family Guy

The fun thing about standards is that they come in so many varieties.

Posts: 510 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages