snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » (NSFW or weak stomachs) Suicide gone wrong.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: (NSFW or weak stomachs) Suicide gone wrong.
FireSpook
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FireSpook   E-mail FireSpook   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are these real?

if so it's very scary....sort of.

--------------------
WARNING
The message above may have statements that only make sense in this user's mind.

Read at your own risk.

Posts: 667 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see no reason for that not to be an accurate description of the injury. Yesterday on Oprah one of the guests was a young man that survived his suicide attempt but lost most of his face in the process.
http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200610/20061004/slide_20061004_284_109.jhtml
I have also seen another man that survived a suicide attempt by shotgun and he lost mainly his upper palate and nose.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CheezeIt
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CheezeIt     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Link no longer works
Posts: 28 | From: College Station, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tribrats
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tribrats   Author's Homepage   E-mail tribrats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Correct link. VERY NFBSK!!!

--------------------
Snopes is moving! Here's snopes' announcement.
Come here to re-register!

Posts: 2448 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This looks familiar to me. Anyone else know if it has been on the board before?

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not these exact pictures, but we have seen a set from Ogrish that we were trying to decipher whether or not they were real--a guy laying on a gurney in a hospital with almost the exact same injury. The best detail I can remember is he had very bright blue eyes.

And yeah, though Ogrish isn't free from photoshopped efforts of the idiot masses(tm), you can pretty much bet that if it is on Ogrish, it is pretty damn near spot on real.

Now rotten has been known to pass a few fakes off as real, but Ogrish is pretty reliable.

~~Toni

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SantasHobbit
Frosty the Salesman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SantasHobbit     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little_Duck:
This looks familiar to me. Anyone else know if it has been on the board before?

I think you may be thinking of "Nothing gets between me and my Harley" from Rotten. I've no desire to view or link to it this early in the morning, but it purported to be a motorcycle accident where the victim ended up looking like Dr Zoidberg.

We discussed it briefly at least once, here in this thread from five years ago.

--------------------
Angsty little hobbitssssses

Posts: 336 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahh definatey sounds like Motorcycle Man- the blue eyes is a dead giveaway (pun intended, TYVM);-)
Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
badlydrawnboy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badlydrawnboy   Author's Homepage   E-mail badlydrawnboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ew man. I want to look... but I need to get a good breakfast tomorrow. I have the SAT.

So... describe it to me.

Posts: 25 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it were a suicide attempt i'm surprised he didn't fire again and finish the job.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you'd either be unconscious, or at least in severe shock, after something like that. There's no way you could "finish the job".

There's no way in Hades I'm going to click that link (face injuries give me the absolute horrors), but from what the others have said it does sound like something I'd seen before. I can recall a TV story about a guy who'd survived a suicide attempt and they briefly showed a slightly blurry snapshot of a guy whose lower jaw did appear to be completely missing.

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A former coworker when I was an EMT (he was a paramedic) told me about a call EXACTLY like that. Because there was no lower jaw, he had to find where to intubate the poor guy. "I followed the bubbles," he said. Glad I wasn't there!

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by badlydrawnboy:

So... describe it to me.

Been awhile since I've seen it but basically it's a guy who's lower face has been blown off. The most disturbing thing for some is that he has these bright blue eyes that are directed at the camera.

Personally I can't see how he lived but it does look like he's looking right at the camera. Other theories that I recall reading is that his eyes were simply opened and they propped him up for the photo.

If you chose to look I guarantee it's one you won't forget:-P

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TuFurg:
Been awhile since I've seen it but basically it's a guy who's lower face has been blown off. The most disturbing thing for some is that he has these bright blue eyes that are directed at the camera.

FWIW This is another set of photos from a different incident.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
FWIW This is another set of photos from a different incident.

Thanks, so of course I had to look. lol

This one wasn't as bad as Motorcycle Man IMO but in a way it's a bit more disturbing because this guy is clearly alive.

I wonder what the guy's thinking at that point in time? That's about 70 blocks passed messed up!

Mementoed
Baby 100 Grand

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mementoed   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mementoed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I would say it is very much real. I was in Iraq deployed as an Army nurse and unfortunately I have to tell you that I have seen a few injuries similar to this at the bedside. The reason the man remains alive is because the force of the impact was absorbed by his jaw and did not penetrate his midbrain enough to immediately cease automatic functions that keep one alive. His airway remains intact. For him to die would require hypoxia secondary to exsanguination. With his juglars intact this wont happen as fast. Looks like the paramedics got to him before this could happen.

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm, Shogun:
Are these real?

if so it's very scary....sort of.

Posts: 36 | From: Texas! | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
badlydrawnboy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badlydrawnboy   Author's Homepage   E-mail badlydrawnboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, man. I finally got the courage to click the link and it had that WARNING BE 18 OR PERISH type of thing and I got scared again.
Posts: 25 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by badlydrawnboy:
Ah, man. I finally got the courage to click the link and it had that WARNING BE 18 OR PERISH type of thing and I got scared again.

FWIW the page has several smaller pics (jumbo thumbnails if you will) and the first one is a bit blurry when you click so it's not all that horrible. Basically the guys face is hanging there to both sides while he's sitting there having his blood pressure taken. I got to the third one before deciding to stop;-)

I did the 'look-at-the-edge-of-the-screen-until-I-get-an-idea-if-it's-all-that-bad' thingy. Also the most disturbing thing to me was that the guy is sitting there being attended to while his face was in that condition. Not really "I think I'm gonna puke" disturbing, more like "holy NFBSKing NFBSK that's NFBSKing disturbing!!!" disturbing.

defrostmode

Icon 1 posted      Profile for defrostmode   Author's Homepage   E-mail defrostmode   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As many others have stated already, some much better than me (this means you Mementoed) these seem absolutly real. I used to work in a hospital and saw something simular...

I was also told by the nurses and docs that were there at the time about an attempted suicide years ago where the person had used a shotgun in there car and there was blood/debris? all over the car. he was missing all of his bottom jaw and of coarse his whole face was messed up. he was sitting there limp.. with his eyes open. The police (some of which are a few mcnuggets short of a happymeal) showed up and were looking at him and waiting for the coroner. One of them looked in the car and said "oh yeah, this guys dead!" and the guy... gargled (I'm assuming trying to talk? or choking?) and (heres the urban legand part of the story... I've been told too many things to remember them all: fainted, peed his pants, ect).
I know it actually happened with the guy in the car because some of the ER staff was there when he was brought in and all the cops were still talking about it... who knows about what the cop actually did. He still lives here... and he's not a cop anymore... and I'm not planning on asking him. The guy died in the ER so his injuries WERE bad... but he was still alive at the scene and when arriving at the ER.

Posts: 34 | From: Colorado | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages