snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Giant Puppet (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Giant Puppet
Philip_Newzealand
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip_Newzealand   E-mail Philip_Newzealand   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hear some of these are fake and have something to do with a levis ad being filmed in Iceland…But people have started making there own private fake puppet videos ??? Not sure what I think, also heard that the crew of the production team wanted to play a prank and nicked the puppet during the early morning ??? Smells like rubbish but would be great. ????? Has any one got any more information ?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akHq3p5QlCk&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4P_KZn3HoQ&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akHq3p5QlCk&NR

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/elitemagazine

Posts: 14 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the videos is dated "Monday 18th September" so it was earlier this week if real...

That looks incredible; I watched the first one and assumed it must be a clever fake, but there are loads of independent short clips of it from different viewpoints and distances, and in slightly different places, and they're all consistent, agree that it's Reykjavik and look as though they were taken by real bystanders with camera phones or whatever.

I don't understand why it's in such poor light, though - or how the hell they would have got permission to do that (surely it's dangerous and could easily damage things) - even if it was a prank involving a crew officially filming something else, they still need to get agreement from the crews of three different helicopters...!

Nothing on the BBC or any obvious news sites, which you'd kind of expect if it was real... but it's an extremely elaborate fake if not. Bizarre...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could you keep your question marks to a minimum? it makes your post difficult to read.

Whatever that is, it's freaky. Me no likey!

Doesn't Iceland get dark quite early at this time of year? That probably accounts for the poor light. What I don't understand is why there are no videos of them setting it up, or bringing it in? It certianly looks like an advert, and would take a long time to organise. and wouldn't they have to close the street and warnt he residents?

Onsecond thought, the car that (in one of the videos) turns the corner and reverses might be part of the advert?

Ooh, or maybe it's viral marketing- which would account for all the weirdness. I bet that's it.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought-it-would-be-a-chow

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TB Tabby:
Thought-it-would-be-a-chow

Do you mean that this is a chow, or just that you thought it would be before you looked? Because that's pretty damn impressive too, but it's not the same thing... and amazing though that is, a puppet held up by three helicopters beats it, to me... (in principle, anyway - the choreography isn't nearly as good, although the clip of it resting its arm on a roof and peering through somebody's window is definitely getting there, but then it's not clear exactly what the occasion is in the videos above.)

Jessboo - "viral marketing" for what? And how? There are six or so different clips of various lengths and viewpoints and of slightly different times, all of which do appear to be taken on low-resolution video by surprised bystanders; I don't think that's straightforward to fake seamlessly - and if it was anything "official" that a professional firm had made the effort to stage or simulate and film (meaning this specific occurrence, not just the puppet itself) wouldn't it be better lit and shot from more obvious angles? It's odd all round.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

I was watching again and looked at this one*:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56jr2RZej18&mode=related&search=

It appears to be an advertising stunt for Levis - notice that the marionette is wearing an enormous pair of identifiable jeans.

The frame rate on that one's a bit low so it looks jerky. It's still weird that there's no easy-to-find information about it, though.

*Actually I sent the links to a friend and he pointed out the jeans...!

Spc. Sharki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spc. Sharki   E-mail Spc. Sharki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those pilots must have been really good in order to keep this thing from smashing into buildings or stepping on people.

--------------------
Let your TV bleed- Tom Petty

Posts: 329 | From: Wiesbaden, Germany | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Are people saying that the videos are marketing, or the puppet itself is marketing? The videos seem too low-quality to be likely to be some type of marketing...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

I was thinking the puppet itself since I agree about the videos, but it's still all quite strange, especially the lack of other information. I keep going back to thinking it can't possibly be real, but then that it must be because there'd be no point in going to those lengths to fake such low-quality videos, especially if you can only see the product logo in about two blurred frames of one video out of eight.
Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But three military helicopters in such close proximity to the public etc? (One chinook and what looks like a pair of army lynx)

I think it is a viral ad campaign of some sort. I don't think it is real at all

(notice that in one of the videos the road wasn't even closed)

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gg83
Deck the Malls

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Gg83         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
I keep going back to thinking it can't possibly be real, but then that it must be because there'd be no point in going to those lengths to fake such low-quality videos, especially if you can only see the product logo in about two blurred frames of one video out of eight.

Well, the point in faking low-quality videos might be to mask imperfections in the fakery (if, for instance, the puppet is actually a smaller puppet that has been bluescreened into the scene, then that might be far more evident in a clearer video) and to make it seem more realistic (it's unlikely that an average bystander would have a high-quality recorder on hand at that moment). And it could work as viral advertising if this is just the first wave, to get people talking, and then a batch of somewhat clearer videos arrive of this puppet in another city, with the logo more clearly displayed.

I haven't the slightest idea if this did happen or not, incidentally. I just thought I had some possible answers to your ponderings. I feel sorry for the people of that city or town if it did really happen, though. Puppets can be very unnerving to begin with, and if I saw something like this, my first reaction would probably be to scream in terror and then run into a building. How much does that thing weigh, do you suppose, and what might happen if a foot got placed wrong? It doesn't help that it looks like something out of a horror movie, albeit a B horror movie (Attack of the 50 Foot Puppet!).

Gg "Mahna MahnaaaAAAAAH!" 83

--------------------
More Snape in drag. Seriously, man, that just improves any book. Like, A Tale of Two Cities? TEN TIMES BETTER if Madame Defarge is really Snape in drag with a bad knitting habit.

Posts: 241 | From: Land of Lincoln, IL | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Philip_Newzealand

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Philip_Newzealand   E-mail Philip_Newzealand   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has any one seen anything else on the internet about I have had a small look but nothing just yet anyone else seen anything of any consequence

--------------------

Posts: 14 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]

Jessboo - "viral marketing" for what? And how? There are six or so different clips of various lengths and viewpoints and of slightly different times, all of which do appear to be taken on low-resolution video by surprised bystanders; I don't think that's straightforward to fake seamlessly - and if it was anything "official" that a professional firm had made the effort to stage or simulate and film (meaning this specific occurrence, not just the puppet itself) wouldn't it be better lit and shot from more obvious angles? It's odd all round.

For Levis. There are a fair few videos but nothing googleable- you'd think something would have come out by now. I think they set people up to film it on their phones, put them on youtube, create a mystery about it and then reveal all after it's all over the net. I think the quality of the videos and the lighting is all to do with making it look as if people have just looked otu of their windows and seen a giant puppet. As you do.

Not saying that it's fake- but I do think that it's all part of a larger ad campaign and this is them trying to create intrigue.

--------------------

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Philip_Newzealand

I dont think it is a fake, but not sure it is Levis either, lots of people are say it is put theres no prrof yet and where did this rumor come from in the begginin, i have read people think it is levis but dont know why people are saying this ?

--------------------

Richard W

quote:
Originally posted by Philip_Newzealand:
i have read people think it is levis but dont know why people are saying this ?

Because if you watch the video below it seems that the puppet is wearing an identifiable pair of jeans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56jr2RZej18&mode=related&search=

It's difficult to tell if they're Levis, though, to be honest.

Richard W

quote:
jesboo said:
I think they set people up to film it on their phones...

Film what on their phones, though? That's the question. It would be a fairly nifty piece of CGI to match the position and motion of eight different handheld cameras. I realise that the poor quality might make that easier but it's still not trivial.

Oh well, I guess that's the most likely explanation.

Has anybody tried Googling in Icelandic? I haven't.

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Philip, please could you run proofread your posts or run them through a spellchecker before you send them?

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Oh, I definitely think the puppet is real. I think it'd be far too difficult to fake it from all those angles. although it is weird that no one seems to have filmed it, say, from the front at the same time as someone else gets it from the back.

--------------------

Hans Off
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hans Off   E-mail Hans Off   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It would be a fairly nifty piece of CGI to match the position and motion of eight different handheld cameras.

Does the movement match though?

I just don't "Buy" the concept of it being controlled by three helicopters. It is a horrendously dangerous thing to do in public and so close to buildings.

--------------------
"British English speakers point to Americans adding more syllables so that they can make even more noise without actually saying anything." Llewtrah

Posts: 2235 | From: Sussex , UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

No, nor do I frankly.

The movement matches in that the puppet doesn't sit statically in the middle of the view while the landscape lurches drunkenly around it, is what I meant. It stays in the right place relative to all the buildings and surroundings, even though the cameras themselves are moving about wildly. That used not to be easy to do, but these days, who knows? It's still a lot more elaborate than it might appear, even if it is done using some sort of fakery.

Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:

Doesn't Iceland get dark quite early at this time of year? That probably accounts for the poor light.

I'd say that at this time of the year, having just passed the equinox, Reykjavik would have almost exactly the same number of light and dark hours as Southampton.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The main problem I have with the idea of this being real are the helicopters. To do that at twilight, in public, with multiple helicopters, etc., is just too much danger [Eek!] .

Now maybe Islandic folks are much more casual about endangering the public.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Philip_Newzealand

i think the videos where taken early morning... it looks like people out of clubs ...some of the tags are 'drunk' etc....

--------------------

drunkatgt

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drunkatgt     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think any of it was real. Can't find any news accounts of it happening. I've compiled a list of people who posted the videos on youtube. All of the ones I could find have been members 1 month or less. Three of them have "4ever" in their username, so that may be a clue to solving it. Like others have speculated, I'm gonna go with a viral ad campaign as the explanation, most likely from Levi's or another jean maker.

Usernames and length of youtube membership:
eatmyagusta - 1 month
Iceland4everANDever - 1 month
fredrikice4ever - 1 month
JessicaUSA4ever - 3 weeks
Halldorano23 - 1 month
hallbjornland - 1 month
jorgeniceland - 1 week
icehothjordis - 1 month
helgaicelandice - 1 week

Posts: 6 | From: Bartow, FL | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Philip_Newzealand

Has any one come forward and said anything yet? That yes this is a hoax etc or have taken credit for the stunt.

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Right, I might be way off the mark here but i think there's something odd about Philip.

quote:
I hear some of these are fake and have something to do with a levis ad being filmed in Iceland…

quote:

I dont think it is a fake, but not sure it is Levis either, lots of people are say it is put theres no prrof yet and where did this rumor come from in the begginin, i have read people think it is levis but dont know why people are saying this ?

quote:

also heard that the crew of the production team wanted to play a prank and nicked the puppet during the early morning

Where did you hear this, if there's not other information about it? I'm also having a hard time figuring out how you can spell 'consequence' correctly but not 'proof', 'giant' (on more than one page, actually- I see you've posted this elsewhere), or 'beginning'?

It all seems a bit fishy to me. How did you come across this video?

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

ps-

http://www.metro.co.uk/yourmetro/article.html?in_article_id=20224&in_page_id=6

Oh and look, Philip's myspace is connected to the advertising/pr/ section. Curiouser and curiouser.

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Ooh, this is fun. JessicaUSA - who happens to have posted one of the original vids- spelles it Ginat, too.
http://www.spraci.com/net/news/showmessage.php?board=rec.arts.puppetry&id=87&username=&area=aus&ucode=&parea=aus

don't have time now but googling 'ginat puppet' brings up loads.

--------------------

Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with jessboo.

Philip, I think you've posted these on snopes to serve the purposes of these video clips. I'm not trying to bully a newbie here, I just smell a rat.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Philip_Newzealand

Sorry to say my life is not that exciting where i have time or get paid to talk about these virals..haha. Although i do keep a keen intrest just becuase im would like to get involved advertising/pr/ (sadley just a poor student at this time) As for hearing all the rumors, there are plenty of people blogging about this...which is also where I first heard about it all. Any way hope this clears up a few things. I also notice some has made a my space trying to find out more...

Jessboo if you type in more miss spelled stuff a few more video come up. looks like who ever put them was in a rush. ???

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Who is blogging about it? Do you have a link, because I didn't find any. All I found were several messageboards where you said that you didn't have time to investigate yourself- but you have time to post on at least 3, possibly 4 seperate boards about it?

Oh and someone posted about it in the comments to the Cat-Head theatre vid on youtube- which happens to have been linked to on (IIRC) Amusement Bark.

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

suspicious waffles

--------------------

Philip_Newzealand

"Oh and someone posted about it in the comments to the Cat-Head theatre vid on youtube- which happens to have been linked to on (IIRC) Amusement Bark"

waffles of somthing i know nothing of

--------------------

jessboo
The First USA Noel

Ok. well, someone posted about a video on youtube in another section of this forum. When I googled 'ginat puppet', one of the results was the same video, and someone had posted a comment about the 'ginat' puppet on it. Odd coincidence, don't you think?

Could you give us a link to all these bloggers who are talking about it?

--------------------

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
C'mon Philip. Admit it. You are the puppet in those videos.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages