snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Dog for Sale (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dog for Sale
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 16 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DOG FOR SALE - READ BEFORE OPENING!!

Read the ad before you look at the picture!!

A real ad from Colorado!!

FREE to an approved home. Excellent guard dog, loves other small-dog breeds. Answers to the name of Dolly. Will eat anything, owner cannot afford to feed her anymore, as there are no more kids, thieves, murderers, rapists or molesters left in the neighborhood. Your help will be appreciated ...

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how anyone can bear to part with their dogs, and Mastiffs are such sweethearts!

What does she weigh? 250 lbs? Think of the size of the poops! I've ben picking up dogshit for 17 years, but that would be a Herculean task. Great dog, though.

NOT a real ad, right? No one would want to get rid of a dog like that!

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about you, but I thought this line was a bit of a clue... [Wink]

quote:
owner cannot afford to feed her anymore, as there are no more kids, thieves, murderers, rapists or molesters left in the neighborhood.

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tacitus
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tacitus   E-mail Tacitus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Got to be a little out of proportion as the woman is clearly well behind the dog. Still, look at her hands on the dog's leg, and you can see she's a big doggie.
Posts: 25 | From: Guelph, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm more suprised by the lack of drool than the size of the dog. [Wink]

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mastiffs are big dogs, but, yes, I think the head may appear slightly larger than it really would be (but only slightly). And I think it's a boy dog.
He does look like a big sweetheart, though.

(And, yes, the ad is funny, but...lookit da puppy! Aww!)

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michael Cole
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Cole   E-mail Michael Cole   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to see Paris Hilton try and fit that in her handbag...

--------------------
Q. What's the difference between a Computer saleman and a Used Car Salesman?
A. The Used Car Salesman knows when he is lying.

Posts: 421 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to see the dog fit Paris Hilton in it's stomach.

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Michael Cole
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Cole   E-mail Michael Cole   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by surfcitydogdad:
I'd like to see the dog fit Paris Hilton in it's stomach.

Oooh, nasty.

So what's Paris Hilton done (or not done) to you? [lol]

--------------------
Q. What's the difference between a Computer saleman and a Used Car Salesman?
A. The Used Car Salesman knows when he is lying.

Posts: 421 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like his rear end is a bit blotchy...
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Mike Cole - oh, nothing, I just went with the idea your quip gave me! Thanks, I think...

Charlie - that freaked me out, but then I realized that's the rock wall!

--------------------
- Outer Limits (2001)

Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This looks like something that would have been entered on one of Worth's "Size Matters" contests, and does look familiar, but I can't say for sure that's where I've seen it.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, what about this little doggy? According to the article he weighs around 187 pounds and measures more than three feet in height. His owner says that he loves children and is on a diet of mobile phones, remote controls, socks and various other things. He also thinks that he's a lapdog.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
frogpond
Jingle Sales

Icon 08 posted      Profile for frogpond   E-mail frogpond   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
So, what about this little doggy? According to the article he weighs around 187 pounds and measures more than three feet in height. His owner says that he loves children and is on a diet of mobile phones, remote controls, socks and various other things. He also thinks that he's a lapdog.

I've always wanted an Irish Wolfhound but I doubt I could afford to feed one!

When I was a little girl a man down the street used to ride his horse with 2 wolfhounds following behind. The hounds would always stop and let me pet them - they are truly gentle giants. From my short perspective at the time they both appeared about as tall as the horse.

--------------------
So many books, so little time.

Posts: 1192 | From: McDonough, Georgia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a 65 pound dog who thinks he is a lap dog. That's lap dog enough...

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed. I had a 55 lb dog sit on my lap in the back of a small plane between Alabama and Oklahoma, which is the best part of four hours. You notice. (This was because he's a big girl's blouse, not because of lack of other seating options).

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I love giant doggies. My friend has an Irish Wolfhound named Fagin who is just the most loving sweetie pie you ever did see. I would like to have a Mastiff or Rottweiler but oddly my boyfriend prefers little lapdogs! Maybe we can compromise with a Beagle.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I love Irish Wolfhounds and have always wanted enough land (and money) to have one. They are probably one of the most gentle breeds of dog there is.

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Growing up, my best friend's gramma raised wolfhounds. Great dogs, but I can't tell you how many times I got hit in the face with a tail - and those things hit hard!

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dutch Angua
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dutch Angua   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wolfhounds, Mastiffs...LOVE them all!
But my friend still has the prettiest doggy I've even seen (Icelandic shepherd/Rough collie mix)

--------------------
Dude, where's my siggy?

Posts: 276 | From: Holland | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilrabbit
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilrabbit   E-mail evilrabbit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, what about this little doggy?

:rabbit is reduced to non-words at the sweetness of giant doggies:

--------------------
"My sandwich choice is uncertain, until I actually order. It's like Schrodinger's Sandwich."
"Is plutonium involved in this sandwich in any way?"
"Maybe."

Posts: 496 | From: Whitby, ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, what about this little doggy?

The newspaper asked the readers to send in pictures of their big dogs and the result is here.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mastiffs are big suckers. There was one at the pund when we were looking for a new dog (and later got Rory the Wonder Dog). Let me tell you, that Mastiff at the pound was HUGE. Frickin' H-U-G-E. He took up almost all the room in his run. He was a loveable goofball, but just too big for our home.

As for the dog in the photo, I think his head appears big to some because he's sort of focused to the lens, head first. (Perhaps the camera was very close to his head when the pic was taken.)

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So that's a mastiff. Gives me the chills.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The mastiffs I've met have been like the one Trish described -- big goofballs. It's little dogs that make me nervous.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
These are my family's dogs. For reference, the table in the background is a dining room table, and about waist high on me.

The 4 of them range in size from 100-150 lbs, and the tallest one is over 6' on his hind legs.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Tzarina, are those Great Pyrenees? When I worked at the kennel we had a client who owned a GP and a Yorkie. She'd bring them on the same day for a bath & groom. I never knew if she purposely got them for the size contrast.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Neighbors of mine have a Bernese Mountain Dog and a little Jack Russell-size (but not a Jack Russell) dog. When we walk by their house with our dog, we hear:

WOOOF!
yap-yap
WOOOF!
yap-yap

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cervus, 3 of them are Pyrs and the 4th one (he's kind of hard to see in the back there), is a Golden Pyr. A purposeful crossbreed, he was supposed to be smaller, but he's the one that's 150lbs.
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SIL and BIL have a Mastiff. Magnificant-looking animal. Unfortunately, I'm not sure their dogs are properly cared-for. One of them bit my brother and MIL at Thanksgiving one year. Yeah, great holiday together with the fam!

I'd still get a Mastiff in a heartbeat if I could afford to feed it. I know they're not inherently dangerous.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Miss Rosa

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Rosa         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The cost problem can be gotten around. Dogs of any size can be fed commercial chicken feed. You pour very hot water over it, stir to make a mush, cool it some and watch 'em go for it.

We raised four boxers on this mix (my Dad's an agriculture major). Chicken feed is full of proteins, roughage and vitamins, though you don't actually want to know what they use to make it except that it's clean.

You can feed dogs rice, too, though brown rice is better and any rice should be cooked in broth. A friend who has 12 dogs (or more, depending on who she's fostering this month and, yes, she lives way out in the country) cooks up batches of rice-based dogfood which she freezes in meal-sized portions using ordinary Zip-Loc bags. Tosses them in the fridge in the morning to thaw in time for dinner and vice versa at night.

Another thing: don't these people belong to Costco or a local equivalent? I get food for my animals at less than half the supermarket prices.

Posts: 30 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As people mentioned, the dog appears larger than it actually is because it is closer to the camera (a perspective thing...) Yes, it probably is a very big Mastiff but not quite as large as it appears.
Mastiffs are usually big teddybears...it's the (smaller) Bullmastiffs you gotta watch out for!

Tzarina, your Pyrs are gorgeous!

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToriSparrow

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToriSparrow   E-mail ToriSparrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cute dog. [Smile] I agree that the way the picture was taken made the dog look even bigger.

Big dogs make me nervous...I like small and medium-sized dogs better.

--------------------
"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'"
-John Greenleaf Whittier

Posts: 10 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hee, I once had the dubious honor of having my face near-engulfed by a mastiff when I was younger.
He was feeling affectionate and SPLARTTT, out came the tongue.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If people can have 200 pound dogs, I don't see why I can't have a leopard or hyena.
Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages