snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Meth user? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Meth user?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lori Hood (39 years old in "Lori5" pic)

Here are some before and after pics to show you the effects of meth use. Note that this woman is only 39 years old in picture 5.

Wanna try Meth?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
YeeMum
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YeeMum   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep looks about right

--------------------
Contact me for discounts
Charter member WNDMDC
"I am putting you on hold now.Listen to the elevator music and LIKE it."~My 'J'

Posts: 1816 | From: NE, Oregon | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Woah. What's the source for those pics, snopes?

According to the police who teach our elementary school drug education, meth is becoming a huge problem in our area. I have seen a few people about who look similar to the pics in the OP, i.e. prematurely aged, extremely thin, and erratic in behaviour.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I knew that, I wouldn't have to post them here ...

It's just one of the many reader-submitted items we get every day.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eeewwwwwwwwwww. I got the creeps...

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erwins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erwins   E-mail erwins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not apparently the source of the photos, but similar photos can be found here as part of the Oregonian's coverage of the meth crisis in Oregon. The "faces of meth" project was started by a Multnomah County Sheriff's Deputy who started collecting mug shots of meth users, interviewing the users, and asked them to talk to kids about their experiences. www.facesofmeth.us has more info.

erwins

Posts: 238 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
If I knew that, I wouldn't have to post them here ...

It's just one of the many reader-submitted items we get every day.

- snopes

Ah. I didn't realize that you posted them in the hope of finding the source. I figured they were posted for general validation / debunking.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lawgiver
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lawgiver   E-mail Lawgiver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks about right to me. My neighbor was on meth for about a year before he hit rock bottom and got off it. He seems to have aged 10 years at least, he also lost several teeth in the process.

--------------------
I looked at my sleeping husband and longed to plunge my elbow through his peaceful face. ~ Annissa

Posts: 381 | From: Nashville | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is snopes yanking our collective chain so much today?

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 500 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ah. I didn't realize that you posted them in the hope of finding the source. I figured they were posted for general validation / debunking.
I don't post photos here if I already know the sources and/or whether they're real or not; in those cases I just put up pages about them on the site.

- snopes

Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering what PSB means...

Public/Private Security/Safety Bureau?

Police Services Board?

Patrol Service Bureau?

Policia de San B--?

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:

Police Services Board?

Patrol Service Bureau?

Policia de San B--?

I think "Public Safety Building."

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see anything unusual about those pictures. Mind you I do live in Glasgow a good percentage of the population look like that here.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of this series of pics

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if this specific woman is "real" but I have seen many meth-heads who look much much older then they really are, just like in the picture, so I guess my point is that I see no reason to suspect it is fake.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisy747
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisy747   E-mail daisy747   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a substance abuse counselor, and although I have never had a client as bad as pic 5, I've seen them bad. I had one who I would have sworn was in her late forties, and she was actually 2 years older than me which would have been 32 at the time. I think the pics are acurate. Meth is a sad drug that wrecks so many lives.
Posts: 19 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ricco1
A Rolling Stone Gathers No Kate Moss

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ricco1   E-mail ricco1   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Photos look real enough to me too, but how come her height is fluctuating all over the place?

ETA I guess they must just have let her keep her 3" heels on for photo 3.

Posts: 6 | From: Clevedon, Somerset, UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You didn't know meth could make you grow 2 inches?
Now that you mention it, that looks kind of funny to me, too.
ETA Oops, I missed the previous edit. Shoes, huh?

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ToriSparrow

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ToriSparrow   E-mail ToriSparrow   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree...the pictures look pretty accurate. Meth wreaks havoc on skin and teeth.

--------------------
"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'"
-John Greenleaf Whittier

Posts: 10 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Prometheus
Acura-puncture

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Prometheus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't people required to take their shoes off for mugshots?

Anyways, I'm speechless at those photos. Damn, meth ****s you up!

Posts: 32 | From: Toronto | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, here's a website from the U.S. Dept. Of Justice with photos showing a similar deterioration.

I don't know how Snopes rates government data on the reliability scale?

But I know people who've done meth and yeah, if they don't stop, they end up like that or worse. You don't just rock along and smoke a little meth on the weekend for 45 years as if it were marijuana or something. It destroys the body, quickly. "Meth mouth" is terrifying to see.

another site says "Research has shown that even a small dose of meth can have significant effects on the central nervous system, including but not limited to increased physical activity, decreased appetite, increased respiration, hyperthermia, irritability, insomnia, confusion, dizziness, tooth grinding, dry or itchy skin, acne, sores, numbness, sweating, tremors, stomach cramps, convulsions, anxiety, paranoia, aggressiveness, extreme nervousness, incessant talking, and athetosis (writhing jerky, or flailing movements).

Man, I never even wanted to try that stuff, I don't understand why anyone would if they knew what it did to you.

edited

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by erwins:
Not apparently the source of the photos, but similar photos can be found here as part of the Oregonian's coverage of the meth crisis in Oregon. The "faces of meth" project was started by a Multnomah County Sheriff's Deputy who started collecting mug shots of meth users, interviewing the users, and asked them to talk to kids about their experiences. www.facesofmeth.us has more info.

erwins

That first one is really horrifying.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Blue:
Don't know if this specific woman is "real" but I have seen many meth-heads who look much much older then they really are, just like in the picture, so I guess my point is that I see no reason to suspect it is fake.

I agree. Meth's a huge problem down here and I run into people who look like her fairly often. There's nothing like seeing an ID saying a person is only a few years older than I am when they look about 20 years older and their hollow face is covered in sores.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turban Man
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 207 posted      Profile for Turban Man     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was doing a project on Meth a couple years ago, and I came acroos these and many others like them. I vote real.

TurbanMan

--------------------
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T,

Posts: 140 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't say if the exact sequence is real, but I've seen similar pictures. When I was reading the Warhol diaries for the first time, there was a picture in the center of Truman Capote in either the late 70's or early 80's. He was this little wizened old man. I didn't know much about Capote, and assumed he was about twenty years older than Warhol, who's picture was posted below, on the Great Wall, and he looked like a relatively healthy man in his early fifties. Imagine my horror at learning the two were about the same age!

Sister "great reason not to drink to excess" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cabottom
"Repaint and thin no more!"

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cabottom     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:

Police Services Board?

Patrol Service Bureau?

Policia de San B--?

Public Service Bulletin.
Posts: 16 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tammy61

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Tammy61   E-mail Tammy61   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hay I am glad you did post them here thanks folks need to see facts not fiction on this matter and what it can and will do to one person.
It needs to be seen in homes schools churches ect.. where ever and know that it really is a problem and that there are folks who care out there about what happens to them. It can happen to anyone no matter where you are where you are from or what your up coming is. The drug is a drug and a powerful one from the things I have seen and heard. All need to see what can happen with this drug..

Oh by the way my frist view of this type of photos was Fox 6 Alabama in B'ham so there yeah go you are not showing anything new and this is almost looking like one of the people showin on this topic on Fox 6.

So good choice to bring it out there up front..

--------------------
Shay Shay

Posts: 8 | From: Gadsden, AL | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by surfcitydogdad:
Why is snopes yanking our collective chain so much today?

What makes you think he's yanking our chain?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
why are the years written in rather than built into the board ?
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So they don't have to buy a new board?
Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The rest of the numbers are changeable, so why would they have to buy a new board? I hadn't noticed about the years being written in, but it does look funny.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:
The rest of the numbers are changeable, so why would they have to buy a new board? I hadn't noticed about the years being written in, but it does look funny.

exactly, which leads me to think that something is fishy. Maybe different people with similiar physical features ?
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could be that it is an old board that only went through the ninties. It seems like someone may have updated it to read 00, 01, 02, etc.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by charlie23:
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:

exactly, which leads me to think that something is fishy. Maybe different people with similiar physical features ?
It's the same person, look at the nose, that's a pretty distinctive break. It would be odd to find someone the same height (except for the extra inch in #3) The same face shape and the same shaped nose.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RingKeeper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Under closer inspection, there are several things about the third picture that are different. The lips of the woman in that photo are not as thin as in the others and the chin is not quite as pointy. Then there is the extra inch. Could be that #3 is a different person with very similar features.

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages