snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » "I don't have to get all dressed up, like I'm going to Wal-mart or something" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "I don't have to get all dressed up, like I'm going to Wal-mart or something"
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/BlackFridayRuler/walmart.jpg (totally SFW, btw)

This image has been marking the rounds on some of the message boards I've been on. It's supposed to be from "some recent" newspaper. Does anyone have any information on it, or if it's even authentic?

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen that several times. I have no idea if it's fake or authentic.

Regardless, of its authenticicy, my DH and I repeat the quote all the time now. [lol]

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Walmart waffles.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James G.
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James G.   Author's Homepage   E-mail James G.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perpahs its next door to where she lives, meaning she feelins she can pop in in her dressing gown or similar.

--------------------
This is a public service announcement. The board is moving. Check Announcements Photos[/URL]

Posts: 1302 | From: Edinburgh, UK (Currently Nr. Swindon, UK) | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by James G.:
Perpahs its next door to where she lives, meaning she feelins she can pop in in her dressing gown or similar.

My neighbor across the street is a close friend, and barring an emergency, I wouldn't pop into her house in my dressing gown.

Maybe I'm just stodgy. . .

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I see a newspaper clipping with the quote on it but no picture. [Confused]

P&LL, Syl

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
sylvanz, I think the newspaper clipping -is- the image

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With this disclaimer?
quote:
(totally SFW, btw)
I get that it's a goofy thing to say. Though, the way I've seen some people dress at Wal-Mart it makes me wonder what she was wearing. [Eek!] I was still under the impression that there was some picture associated with the quote. Oh well wouldn't be the first time something went over my head.

P&LL, Syl'often clueless'vanz

Oh man I just noticed that it was totally safe for work not totally unsafe for work. Yeah, did I say things go over my head sometimes? [Roll Eyes]

P&LL, Syl' [Embarrassed] 'vanz

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Who dresses up for Wal-mart...where is she from [lol]
I'll go in there looking hella bummy...I don't care [Smile]
It made me giggle lol

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm guessing it's just from a quasi-rural area where Wal-Mart is the main grocery/department store. If you're way more likely to run into family or co-workers, it's a dressier affair. I personally don't doll myself up, but I always make sure I'm at least brushed out and cleaned up before I go there lest I inevitably run into someone I know.

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DarkDan
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkDan   Author's Homepage   E-mail DarkDan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me of the Brady Bunch Movie... "Put on your Sunday best kids! We're going to Sears!"

--------------------
Missing snopesters | snopesters Facebook group | SLC Birthdays | What does "Bookachow", "YOMANK!" and other lingo mean?
"Gonna free fall out into nothing, gonna leave this world for a while" --Tom Petty

Posts: 3698 | From: Philadelphia, PA or >Tinton Falls, NJ< | Registered: Oct 1492  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Boy, if the way I see folks in WALMARTS (as my MIL calls it) is dressed up, I would HATE to see casual. OMG.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ovalescent:
I'm guessing it's just from a quasi-rural area where Wal-Mart is the main grocery/department store. If you're way more likely to run into family or co-workers, it's a dressier affair. I personally don't doll myself up, but I always make sure I'm at least brushed out and cleaned up before I go there lest I inevitably run into someone I know.

I agree with this. I've been in Oklahoma for a few months now for work and the Wal-Marts I've seen out here are completely different from the ones I saw in Southern California. In the city I'm currently in, Wal-Mart is really the only store around (and that applies to grocery stores as well). There is a Super Wal-Mart on one side of town and a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Grocery Store on the other side of town. Going to Wal-Mart, especially on a weekend, is an activity in which you could very likely run into many people you know. I recently made the mistake of going into a Wal-Mart on a Sunday afternoon. It was completely packed, complete with many families dressed in their church dress clothes. The kicker for me was the table with a few pretty young ladies spraying perfume samples. It's a world of difference from the Wal-Mart experience you get in cities where Wal-Mart is not the *only* store around.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It must be a very rural place to be that badly printed.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It might not be badly printed, it might just be artifacting. Do you see the faint "NBC" watermark in the lower right hand corner? I'm guessing this is from one of those Jay Leno segments where he makes fun of odd newspaper articles and ads.

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It might not be badly printed, it might just be artifacting. Do you see the faint "NBC" watermark in the lower right hand corner? I'm guessing this is from one of those Jay Leno segments where he makes fun of odd newspaper articles and ads.

Good find, I'm willing to bet Jay Leno is exactly where it's from.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eureka!
quote:
From a newstory on towntalk.com, serving the Alexandria-Pineville area of Louisiana...

Debra Jackson said she likes shopping at the Dollar Palace because it is convenient and casual.
"I don't have to get all dressed up like I'm going to Wal-Mart or something," she said.

I found this yesterday but had computer problems and couldn't get the URL to work. Unfortunately, the link in the article to towntalk.com is broken. You can find other info by searching on Dollar Palace, but everything I found had only a paragraph, and you had to buy the rest of the story. Ummm, I don't think so! [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WingedBear
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingedBear   E-mail WingedBear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't exactly call Alexandria rural, though it's nowhere near a metropolis.

[slight hijack, but expanding on my point of ruralness]
When I drove between school and home, I always hated hitting Alexandria because you can't see anything of the city from I-49. There was maybe some light industrial buildings to the side, but no residential or commercial areas. And as I would want to stop there for food and/or a bathroom break, it meant I could never find a restaurant to stop at. It felt like that stretch of barren interstate went on for half an hour.

Which is why I would usually elect to drive down US-167 instead of I-49. From 167 you would hit Pineville and a nice strip or restaurants and gas stations. During a stop at a gas station there, I overheard someone ask where the beer was, and found out that Pineville is (was?) a dry town.[/hijack]

I never stopped at a Wal-mart there, so no idea if people dressed in their best to go.

--------------------
If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?

Posts: 90 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eternalsaturn
Sebring-a-Ding-a-Ding

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eternalsaturn   Author's Homepage   E-mail eternalsaturn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

THat is exactly where it's from. I'm 99% sure I saw this same picture here, though I can't say exactly where it is there.

--------------------
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto

my dA page

Posts: 57 | From: Huntington, WV | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Had a LOL moment last night at Meijers after reading this thread...

Lady in the video department on a cell phone call (ya know that ones that can be heard for 4 aisles)...

"Tell Momma we're headin' for the beer aisle, then over to Walmart, we'll meet ya there..."

Not sure how she was dressed, too busy stiffling laughter to look [Big Grin]

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brownie Boy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brownie Boy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the time in texas or anywhere else in the south, getting "dressed up" means that you're chanigng into something socially acceptable

other than, say, pajamas

--------------------
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday

Posts: 10 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mystic burrito
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 09 posted      Profile for mystic burrito     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brownie Boy:
Most of the time in texas or anywhere else in the south, getting "dressed up" means that you're chanigng into something socially acceptable

other than, say, pajamas

I've gone to Wal-mart in my pajamas before. I was on vacation with my friends. The power went out one night and we didn't know where the flashlights were (if there were any) in the house we were renting so I ran into Wal-mart in my pj pants and t-shirt.

mystic burrito

Posts: 135 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moon   E-mail Lady Moon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, that's definitely a Jay Leno "headlines" deal.

--------------------
"We've got a fifth member of the band round here, and he's DEFINITELY out of tune!" -- Keith Moon

"If I had a thousand quid for every time I've introduced this song --- oh, I do!" -- John Entwistle

Posts: 584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
WingedBear, my cousin lives in Effie, LA. Another settled in Alexandria when he retired. Small world.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
Boy, if the way I see folks in WALMARTS (as my MIL calls it) is dressed up, I would HATE to see casual. OMG.

I'll see your WALMARTS and raise you a WALMARK. That's what my MIL calls it. Of course, she also says when you're sick to your stomach you "vomik". And, English is her first language.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night at Wal-Mart I saw a woman in a huge stained mumu with her hair tied up in a literal rag (looked as if it'd been used for cleaning in the past) and she had a small child with her whose hair was not brushed and he (she?) was not wearing a shirt.
I thought of this thread immediately.

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LibrarianJen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LibrarianJen   E-mail LibrarianJen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:

Interesting....I thought that was a 'northern' thing - people adding an S - Kmarts, Walmarts, etc. I'm originally from the south, but don't remember hearing that down there.
Posts: 1093 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tlynch
Eagle Opportunity Employer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tlynch   E-mail tlynch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We got to calling it 'Walmarts' as a private joke mocking all the damn yankees who've moved down here. Unfortunately, it went too far and now we say 'Walmarts' all the time.
Posts: 12 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tlynch:
We got to calling it 'Walmarts' as a private joke mocking all the damn yankees who've moved down here. Unfortunately, it went too far and now we say 'Walmarts' all the time.

I haven't ever heard it called "Walmarts" by anybody. And I am a "damn yankee."

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another damn yakee here and I've actually heard 2 different people say "Walmarts" and they were both from the south.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia

My mom prefers Wally World. It makes it seem like a fun shopping experience.

--------------------

Deansinger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deansinger   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DW and I refer to it as Marto Del Wal, but I admit we're a little strange. I'm stationed in a small Nevada city, and the (shiny new) Super Wal-Mart is a place where you will eventually see everyone in town. Those who care about what the neighbors think in such a town may do well to put on acceptable clothing before going to the Wal Mart

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you're wrong.. Be Wrong Loud!

Posts: 398 | From: Fallon, NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rendalyn
Tic Tac Dough

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rendalyn     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a chance this person was elderly. I know my great great aunt would often dress "to the nines" to go to Walmart or the grocery. It's part of old southern culture.

Of course, back in the day when I was a semi-reconizable radio person, I never went to Walmart or Kroger without makeup and semi-decent clothes for fear of "Hey! Aren't you on the radio?"

Posts: 10 | From: Conway, AR | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rendalyn:
There is a chance this person was elderly. I know my great great aunt would often dress "to the nines" to go to Walmart or the grocery. It's part of old southern culture.

Not just old. My cousin, who excels at being a Southern Lady, refuses to even go to the 7-11 without full make-up, hair, jewelry, and color coordination. My mom and her sister aren't as bad, but they also take great care with their appearance before going out in public.

I came as a great dissapointment.

Ryda "Do I hafta change out of my PJ's" Wong.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't recall hearing the added S before I moved to the south. I'd guess that it comes from stores like "Hecht's" or "Macy's" that add a possessive to the founder's name, first got extended to stores like "JC Penney" and "Nordstrom," then to stores that aren't the founder's name, like K-Mart and Wal-Mart.

And yes, I know what the K in K-Mart and the Wal in Wal-Mart stand for. [Smile]

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages