snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Another Mermaid Picture Hoax (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Another Mermaid Picture Hoax
Yeardley
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 211 posted      Profile for Yeardley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Yeardley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was curious if anyone knew the source of these pictures (which I saw on another Internet forum with a description that the subject in question washed ashore on Florida shores).

I did a search here for mermaid, and didn't see anything. The pics don't look photoshopped, so I was wondering if this was a prop from a movie or an elaborate attempt at a hoax.

Sorry if these pics showed up in here earlier.

-
 -
 -

--------------------
These men have a supreme vow of celibacy, like their fathers, and their fathers before them.

Posts: 44 | From: Moscow, Russia | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hypno Toad
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hypno Toad   E-mail Hypno Toad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My first thought was this be the same chap who created this. Another example of his work was discussed here.

On second look though, I'm not so sure. This mermaid seems more prosthetic than taxidermy. I'll keep looking.

ETA: to correct UBB

--------------------
A Freudian slip occurs when you say one thing while thinking amother - Cliff Claven

Formally Random Dan

Posts: 184 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd say we can rule out photoshop. Different angles and different light would make that hard.

So, what remains is a fake mermaid or a real mermaid. My instincts tell me it's a fake.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brownie Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brownie Boy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
first time post, long time viewer

but i vote fake, the skin makes it look unnatural... kinda like paper mache'

--------------------
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday

Posts: 10 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brownie Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brownie Boy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------

Posts: 10 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brownie Boy

--------------------

Brownie Boy

--------------------

Brownie Boy

--------------------

Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool prop. I give -ahem- props to the artist. I'm trying to figure out what it's made out of. Fiberglass? Plaster?

I'm not sure why they chose the glass eyes though. If this creature is supposed to be dried out, dead, or mummified, the eyes would be sunken and probably eaten already. Also the gums wouldn't be bright red. The bleached-out look would be more appropriate if the sculpture had been placed in direct sun on a deserted beach. But I forgive those minor details in fantasy art.

It would look really cool on public display, say at a restaurant or Key West museum.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IZaNaMI

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IZaNaMI   E-mail IZaNaMI   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would also say that the picture is real but the "mermaid" is not.

It is a cool try though.

Posts: 17 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Random Dan, you were right. Look under seamystery's completed auctions and there she is. Sold for $1500. Wow.

Link here

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, Random Dan, it's the same guy who's selling this stuff on ebay. The pictures in the OP were on ebay about a month ago. The guy was selling them with the story that he just randomly found *another* mermaid on the beach, like he comes across them all the time. Somebody had posted the comment "is this all real?" and he was trying to convince them that it was. The most amazing thing wasn't the pictures, but the fact that his ebay feedback rating was apparently 100% positive.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am almost 100% sure that I recognize the "skin" texture -- that sort of bubbly surface is what happens when you put plaster dressing on a wire mesh frame. Of course, it might be possible that someone created that texture some other way to simulate scales. On the other hand, it just looks too familiar and too much like plaster. The shoulders and the face especially have spots that look exactly the way plaster bandages look when smoothed over in places.

I'd say it's definitely a real picture of a pretty neat prop.

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dang, you beat me to it by a minute, Ariadne.

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He says in his auction that "The entire body has been determined to be covered in once living fish skin with scales." I think if he had covered the sculpture with fish skins, there would be some seams. I'm not sure I would want a sculpture covered in dried fish skins, hanging on my wall! I agree with those who say it looks like plaster.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TuFurg
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TuFurg   E-mail TuFurg   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved this from the "Questions from other members":

"WOW this is great i found a much smaller version of this creature when i was 16 now im 36 at that time i was afraid to mention this to my friends let alone my parents. it was about 3 ft. this was at daytona beach shores near the jetty's. i put this dead thing back in ther water also i had bad night mares for months. i really do not know what you have there however i have seen the same. i currently reside in casselberry florida & have stayed clear of the ocean since. just thought you would like to know. "

I also love how he tries to be as honest as he can "the body has been determined to be covered in once living fish skin with scales"- yet flat out lies about everything else. LOL

Posts: 687 | From: Grand Rapids, Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ariadne   E-mail Ariadne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Billion:
Dang, you beat me to it by a minute, Ariadne.

Sorry; I have a quick hand when it comes to eBay. [Big Grin]

--------------------
saxea ut effigies bacchantis prospicit eheu | prospicit et magnis curarum fluctuat undis
-Catullus

Posts: 435 | From: Iowa | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The ebay listings remind me a little of the guy that was selling a "real" genie bottle a few months ago. Can't link to it now because it's too old, but the story was, it was real, but the genie could only be summoned every hundred years or something and the next available time was in 2040 or some time way off.

Yeah!!! Sure!!!

Robbiev -dreaming of Barbara Eden- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those eyes look damned creepy with that mouth

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Reminds me of the Jabberwocky.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ariadne
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by lynnejanet:
He says in his auction that "The entire body has been determined to be covered in once living fish skin with scales." I think if he had covered the sculpture with fish skins, there would be some seams. I'm not sure I would want a sculpture covered in dried fish skins, hanging on my wall! I agree with those who say it looks like plaster.

It could have been done with a single, large fish skin. There are some pretty big fish out there, and that would accound for the placement of the fins.

I wouldn't want it on my wall, either. I know there are plenty of fans of artistic taxidermy or whatever it's called, but I prefer to keep animal corpses out of my house, however well preserved (and no, I don't wear leather [Smile] ).

--------------------
-Catullus

The Goof
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Goof     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's Jar Jar Binks with mange.

--------------------
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid,than to open it and remove all doubt."- Mark Twain

Posts: 426 | From: Tucson, AZ (The Old Pueblo) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Goof:
It's Jar Jar Binks with mange.

YOMANK!!!

And damn, lasagna looks gross, spewing out your nose...

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The one that's currently going on here pic #2 of this one is creepy! they are so faked. I wouldn't want this, I have a good kid [lol]

ETA: it is interesting about "how" they are made...here's an old one here

I looked through some of the old auctions and there are 2 of the first old mermaid thing...maybe they're related [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure which is scarier:

1. the guy sells them on Ebay.
2. people actually bid. [Eek!]

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How can he get away with this -- you'd think it would be a violation of eBay policy to sell items under false pretense.

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The book of Maori tribal tattoos and headhunting he's got for sale looks pretty sweet.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think he's selling under false pretense really - it's pretty tongue-in-cheek, and you'd have to be an idiot to think you were getting a "real mermaid" rather than a well-made model. The only specific claims he made about this one are:

quote:
The winner to this auction will recieve the sea creature shown in the photos below. The photos have not been altered or retouched nor are they result of photo shop. The entire body has been determined to be covered in once living fish skin with scales. I have drilled a small hole in the back of the head so that it can be hung up on a wall for display.
All of which is no doubt true.

I'm not sure if the "story" counts as part of the sales blurb or if it's just atmosphere, but you'll notice that it doesn't say he didn't put it there himself before "finding" it. I doubt it affects the sale whether or not his hands were really shaking as he took the pictures.

If you read the Q&A for the strange fish one (and this one actually, but there are fewer of them), it's pretty obvious that he expects the buyers to be in on the joke.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Psihala
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Psihala   E-mail Psihala   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, pits! Another jumper that got out...

~Psihala
(*Whatta we got to do, put a lid on this thing?)

--------------------
StealthPost™

Posts: 3020 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what I understand, you can claim something like "This is like, TOTALLY a magical item!" or something like that, as long as you put a disclaimer that it's for entertainment purposes only, etc. etc.

I've seen it time and again on things that are supposedly haunted. Most auctions also mention that eBay requres these disclaimers to be added to the auction.

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But unless I'm blind, there is no such disclaimer in this ad...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The guy presents himself as an artists and never actually denied forging the sculptures. It's art, stupid.
Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rehcsif:
But unless I'm blind, there is no such disclaimer in this ad...

-Tim

I never said there was. I was merely speaking to the protocol for being able to say something is magical, or in this case a mermaid, and still be okay in eBay's eyes . . .

. . . Not that eBay pays much attention to it's website. [Wink]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beaver_slayer:
The guy presents himself as an artists and never actually denied forging the sculptures. It's art, stupid.

That's quite the 'tude you've got there, beaver_slayer.

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by beaver_slayer:

Help me out here (since I'm stupid):

Exactly who are we calling stupid?

(Nowhere on this page is a disclaimer or any statement that this is art. In my book, it's false advertising, plain and simple).

-Tim

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages