snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Laptop fire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Laptop fire
Jar Bear
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 603 posted      Profile for Jar Bear   E-mail Jar Bear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, completely NSFW [Wink]

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07/28/another_dell_laptop_burns/

Is that image real?

Posts: 24 | From: Coahuila, México | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zabia
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zabia   E-mail Zabia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know anything about that exact story, but it is not unusual to hear about laptops (or cellphones) exploding due to blackmarket batteries. Looking at the burns and the fact that the battery was mentioned. I would think that. IMHO, UMMV

ETA, could someone please make a Not Safe for Lap joke. I can't think of one.

--------------------
We frettered around like farm animals, looking around for formulas and father figures. -Twilight Zone

Posts: 425 | From: Lynchburg, VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I was thinking there would be a dildo attatched. *sigh*

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bassjohn

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bassjohn   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a coincidence?

The pop up ad that Snopes left on my desktop after checking this thread was for Dell computers - I'm really going to try one of their laptops now!

--------------------
When you swim in the sea and an eel bites your knee, that's a moray.
When you switch on TV and a pattern you see, that a moire.

http://www.myspace.com/bassjohn

Posts: 24 | From: Bradford, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And here I was thinking there would be a dildo attatched.
It's called a joystick...

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not limited to Dell laptops. HP and IBM have also had this issue, as well as some cellular phones, but it has always been attributed to a cheaper aftermarket battery. Just goes to show you that there sometimes is a reason for the OEM charging a little bit more money.

--------------------
Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tom o' Bedlam
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Tom o' Bedlam   E-mail Tom o' Bedlam   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
quote:
And here I was thinking there would be a dildo attatched.
It's called a joystick...
Up until this very moment, I'd always wondered why they were called that.

--------------------
Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,
Bedlam boys are bonny,
For they all go bare and they live by the air
And they want no drink nor money!

Posts: 107 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*starts breathing again*

Okay, it's not my model. [Big Grin]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm all about being silly, but how is this NSFW? Are some people here actually laptops who object to same-object immolation?

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Corwin
I Am Curious Bluefin

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corwin   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it wasn't safe for the office in which it spontaneously combusted.

--------------------
Then lightning struck... Bad lightning.

Posts: 259 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Freshman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Freshman   Author's Homepage   E-mail Freshman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
it kinda looks photoshopped to me.. the colors don't match each other

--------------------
"High-Five!" - Borat

Posts: 1056 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kroma

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kroma         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HSSenior:
it kinda looks photoshopped to me.. the colors don't match each other

What colors don't match? You realize it's covered in fire extingusher powder, right? That's why it looks kinda weird.
Posts: 165 | From: Somewhere in NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time, I thought was some kind of joke but this looks bad for Dell laptops.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bassjohn

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bassjohn   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems like Dell are taking this seriously and have withdrawn 4.1 million laptops!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4793143.stm

for the BBC News story

--------------------

Posts: 24 | From: Bradford, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Laptop batteries.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bassjohn

quote:
Laptop batteries.
OK batteries...
The point I was trying to make is that previous post were blaming the fault on "cheaper aftermarket batteries", whereas the fault lies in the OEM batteries fitted by Dell.

BTW I do not have any personal grudge against Dell, but big firms are always happy to charge extra for manufacturers parts and let the faults be blamed on cheap imitations.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay.

That has nothing to do with whether laptops or laptop batteries are being recalled.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Griffin at the Maul     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everybody loves to pick on Dell. Hp issued a recall on batteries for the same reason in April.
HP Recall

The reason that manufacturers recommend (and could potentially void the warrantee for not) using OEM parts is that they have no control over how aftermarket parts are built, and cannot be certain that said parts confirm to their specifications and requirements.

--------------------

Posts: 782 | From: Arlington, TX | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To further the point, the batteries in question are made by SONY.

My battery is the one that came with my Dell, is made by Panasonic, and is perfectly fine.

So flame Sony, not Dell . . . and pun intended. [Wink]

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bassjohn:
The point I was trying to make is that previous post were blaming the fault on "cheaper aftermarket batteries", whereas the fault lies in the OEM batteries fitted by Dell.

BTW I do not have any personal grudge against Dell, but big firms are always happy to charge extra for manufacturers parts and let the faults be blamed on cheap imitations.

Unfortunately, the problem is bigger than that. There are cases where the parts were actually OEM parts that had failed QA and bought/stolen by another company and sold as good parts, old revisions of parts sold as newer revisions (and the reverse), mislabelled parts (246 USD Pentium II 266 MHz marked as 375 USD Pentium III 300 MHz, etc. In some cases these parts ended up in OEM hardware or sold as OEM replacement parts.

Even big corporations fall victim to counterfeit hardware. L-3 Communications bought a bunch of scrapped Philips ICs from an unauthorised retailer.

See "Bogus!" for more.

I have a bogus 512 MB SODIMM that's actually a 256 MB stick. The seller had taken a 256 MB stick and stuck a new sticker on it.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Similar battery problems go back a long way- I remember aroung 20 years ago when the BBC Master Computer came out, one of the advances over the older model was the use of a battery backup to retain system settings, unfortunately they used a lithium (old style not Li ion) which unfortunately they tried to recharge due to a circuit fault, and with explosive consequences. At the same time Sinclair introduced a pocket TV, also wity a lithium battery which proved to be temperature sensitive, reportedly destroying a warehouse in the US
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
waffle
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CSGirl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CSGirl   E-mail CSGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got an email from the company I work for saying that nationwide we have 6,000 of the recalled batteries. They said the recall was issued last week, but this thread certainly makes it seem as if they knew before that. My model is one of the recalled ones- and I am definitely taking my battery out now! [Eek!]

From the email:
quote:
Earlier this week Dell announced a recall for over four million notebook computer batteries. The suspect batteries were placed in laptops that were shipped between April 2004 and July 18th of this year. A short-circuit could cause the battery to overheat, creating the risk of smoke and fire.

We have verified that over 6,000 laptops with these batteries have been shipped to our locations within North America. This recall also includes systems purchased under the Employee purchase program. At this time, we have been unable to confirm the number of systems shipped to locations outside of North America.

--------------------
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Dr. Wilson: Beauty often seduces us on the road to truth.
Dr. Gregory House: And triteness kicks us in the nads.
-House MD

Posts: 114 | From: Glastonbury, CT / Houghton, NY | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mystara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can verify this as well, the company I work for (U.S. Census) just issued a recall notice on the Dell laptop batteries.

Reasoning was that they are a fire hazard.

--------------------
Dad, what are books?
Look it up on the internet son.

Posts: 66 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Griffin at the Maul
Joyeux New Sale

Looking at the record of battery fires versus that number of LiIon batteries sold in a year, the chances are very, very good that you will not have an incident, even if you are the owner of one of the recalled batteries.
quote:
There have been 19 recalls of Lithium Ion batteries in the past few years, and more than 40 reported laptop fires since 2001. Popular Mechanics Blog
quote:
a potential failure can arise if—during the Li-ion manufacturing process—metal particles are allowed to contaminate the interior of the cells. Over time, those particles can move into the separator, which is an insulating barrier between the anode and cathode sides of the cell. That creates a short circuit between anode and cathode, allowing electrons to flow freely and quickly, and the battery fails.-Ars Technica

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages