snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Fauxtography » Bigfoot Photos (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bigfoot Photos
Strongsad
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Strongsad   E-mail Strongsad   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/3439461.html

I can't tell whether these photos were faked or if they really are real. The first two could be real, but the last two seem to be fake.

Posts: 8 | From: Amsterdam, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gutter Monkey

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gutter Monkey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The 4th one is a closeup of the 3rd.

In the 3rd photo you can see that the fur is fairly short, yet the 'body' goes all the way down to where we'd have our knees. Unless this Bigfoot has a really long torso and munchkin legs it's someone wearing an animal fur.

Posts: 14 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess it would depend on how you define "fake." If you mean that the pics don't look photoshopped, I agree. If you mean that you think that it is really a bigfoot, rather than, say a guy in a costume, I cannot agree.

The pics do not show enough to rule out that it is not a guy in a costume.

Demon "Not to mention the complete lack of a BEH" Wolf

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bear skin with a gorilla mask.

Oh, and the bear had mange.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To me it looks almost like a bear standing on its hind legs, so I would guess that it is just a guy with a bear skin on his back.

ETA: Also, the fur looks all rumpled up which I doubt would happen if it were real (attached to its skin). If were just a skin or pelt, they get rumpled because the skin that the fur is attached to gets wavy and wrinkled underneath. Again, to me it looks like a guy wearing a bear skin or the skin of some other normal animal. Also, for the legs looking short, this can be caused by the bottom of the bear skin hanging low and patially covering up the guy's legs.

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What really amazed me about that article was Troy Aikman Ford.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Click on the link to hear Cowboy Troy...

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MeliKoritsi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeliKoritsi   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Mountain:
To me it looks almost like a bear standing on its hind legs, so I would guess that it is just a guy with a bear skin on his back.

ETA: Also, the fur looks all rumpled up which I doubt would happen if it were real (attached to its skin). If were just a skin or pelt, they get rumpled because the skin that the fur is attached to gets wavy and wrinkled underneath. Again, to me it looks like a guy wearing a bear skin or the skin of some other normal animal. Also, for the legs looking short, this can be caused by the bottom of the bear skin hanging low and patially covering up the guy's legs.

I agree with you- it totally looks like some guy with a wrinkly bear skin on his back.

--------------------
"In the harsh light of day, your plans seem crude and childish, making it all the more obvious that you need a good planning lamp."
>Liquor in the front, poker in the rear<

Posts: 424 | From: Edina, Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The sad thing is that if he'd just set up his camere nextto the Bigfoot Crossing sign he'd have got perfect shots
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hambubba, it clearly is a fox with mange.
Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lonely Mountain
Jingle All the Layaway

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lonely Mountain   E-mail Lonely Mountain   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else concerned that an obvious hoax was the top story on the six o'clock news?

--------------------
"Tis too much proved that with devotion's visage and pious action we do sugar o'er the devil himself." - Hamlet

Posts: 344 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Once again, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

If it could be someone in a costume, we have to assume it is, unless given extraordinary proof to the contrary.

I notice the body seems to be in exactly the same position in each of the pictures. The side view is lined up specifically to have foliage blocking the "face". It, for all intents and purposes, appears to me someone took a taxidermied bear (in standing position) out into the woods and took some pictures in an attempt to make some money, fool people, gain a bit of fame, or some combination thereof.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like a really bad fur suit. The poor thing doesn't even have a butt...

Or maybe the bigfoot is just having a bad hair day. [Wink]

Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lonely Mountain:
Anyone else concerned that an obvious hoax was the top story on the six o'clock news?

No, because that means it was a slow news day. The line, "If it bleeds, it leads" is true, so at least on this day, life was good (or at least not TOO bloody).

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So the thing stood there without moving and let the photog move to get shots from another angle? Rriigghhtt....Bigfoot's posing. He WANTED to be on the news.

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Groundhog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Groundhog     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think if someone were to look around area taxidermy shops they'd find one of their stuffed bears missing. This thing in the picture doesn't even look like it's walking or moving.
Posts: 39 | From: Kettering, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The general consensus in the Bigfoot "research community" is that it's a guy wearing some pelts. They have already made a connection between the person who submitted the photos and a local taxidermy shop.

http://www.cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-report/atokabf/

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sue Bee:
Hambubba, it clearly is a fox with mange.

Thank you. I was not online in time to post that.

Brad "it's always a fox with mange" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slight hijack- can someone point me in the direction of an explanation to 'fox with mange', please? ta

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Before anyone asks, no, I was not in Atoka County in the past two weeks.

Thank you very much....

But I do have a big foot story. Way back when the Creature from Boggy Creek movie came out (1970's), my boy friend and another guy hauled hay down to Boggy Creek. It was his first time in that area and he didn't know exactly where they were. They got to their barn in the middle of the night and had to wait till daylight to unload. The other guy slept in the cab of the truck and my boyfriend slept on top of the hay. He said he heard weird noises all night, but didn't get off the hay to investigate. The next morning they unloaded and headed back home, passing the Boggy Creek sign. He asked the other guy "Boggy Creek as in the creature of Boggy Creek?" The other guy said "Yep." My boy friend slugged his friend....

guru

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Captain_Pizzapasta

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain_Pizzapasta   E-mail Captain_Pizzapasta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not Bigfoot. That's Chewbacca!

--------------------
Mamma mia!

Posts: 22 | From: Milan, Italy | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
Slight hijack- can someone point me in the direction of an explanation to 'fox with mange', please? ta

A while back, we had several pics submitted of a "mystery animal." Some pics called it a hyena, others had more unusual and unlikely animals.

We had one poster who identified several of the mystery animals (possibly correctly) as a fox with mange. It has become a running jioke, although I do not recall having seen that poster in some time.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It just looks like a bear to me. With matted fur. Maybe he got into a fight with Bigfoot?

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whatever it is, it definitely looks dead. Or at least pretty sick.

Brad "Is you is, or is you ain't got rabies" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bigfoot has been very active lately. A few folks have been lucky enought to catch the creature on film.

In Oklahoma...

-

In New York State...

-

In Ohio...

-

Many North Americans simply cannot get comfortable with the fact that a huge walking wildman lives in our forests.

But the big monkey is surely not limited to the pristine wilderness of the USA and Canada. Folks in Indonesia have also seen a massive hairy dude poking around their woods. This year was a milestone for hairy wildman activity and discovery right there within the steamy archipelago. Indonesians (who are world famous for being correct about these things) are saying that this primate stands up to 12 feet (4 meters) tall.

Lucky Indonesians saw this...

-

It's not all a fake or hoax, because hoaxes don't leave tracks in the jungle...

-

Keep on truckin' Bigfoot!

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, all the photos above with the exception of the Johor cast have since been proven as hoaxes. The final word isn't in yet on Johor but it's also looking bad.
Tracks in the jungle can be faked as easily as tracks anywhere.

Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That looks nothing like the impression I had of bigfoot. It does look like a bear skin. The fingers also look too smooth...not hairy as in the drawing...gloves or something of that nature? I say fake too. In theory...is bigfoot harmful?

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Pizzapasta:
That's not Bigfoot. That's Chewbacca!

I have the same impression. Someone should check if there was a Star Wars convention in Atoka county, 'cause it looks like some drunken geek in a poorly home-made wookie suit got lost in the woods. [lol]

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squishy0405:
That looks nothing like the impression I had of bigfoot. It does look like a bear skin. The fingers also look too smooth...not hairy as in the drawing...gloves or something of that nature? I say fake too. In theory...is bigfoot harmful?

I've heard stories of Bigfoots (Bigfeet I guess I should say) tearing up outhouses and the like and killing farm animals, so I suppose they can be harmful.
And there was a legend told amoung the Willamette Valley tribes that Bigfeet LOVED human flesh, particularly small children.

ETA: AS for the pictures in the OP, I chuckled a bit, as the poses all seemed a bit like some guy in bearskins was using the facilities (as it were).

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by charlie23:
Unfortunately, all the photos above with the exception of the Johor cast have since been proven as hoaxes. The final word isn't in yet on Johor but it's also looking bad.
Tracks in the jungle can be faked as easily as tracks anywhere.

I am positive Barns and no Bull was joking.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow!! Bigfoot has the power to draw Barns & No Bull out from hiding. I was beggining to think that B&NB was a figment of my imagination, or a hoax cleverly carried out by monkeys trained by the CIA.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Those photos can't be real - where's the BEH*?

*Baboon Extra Head

ETA link

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

quote:
I am positive Barns and no Bull was joking.
Probably. And I've seen some even funnier ones. But I take the bigfoot thing somewhat seriously due to personal reasons: a lot of these hoaxes are perpetrated by people seeking profit and claiming to be serious researchers. It gives the real researchers a bad name.
On the other hand, a lot of them are obvious jokes and no, I haven't lost my sense of humor.
 -
Note: make sure your gorilla suit has a zipper...

Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice photo, Charlie 23.

However, I'm not sure it's a guy in a gorilla suit... It also might be a naked pic of Demis Roussos.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23

yomank. [fish]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages